cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay facilitates deceptive shipping status.

Ebay facilitates deceptive shipping status:
1. The word, "Shipped" has a universally recognized definition and is PAST TENSE.
2. Seller should not be able to mark items, "Shipped" while retaining possession for more than 24 hours.
3. If a shipping company does not HAVE (present tense) an item, it CANNOT be, "Shipped" (past tense).

4. At the same time Ebay status can show 'shipped" while the shipper status is "awaiting acceptance"

5. It is within Ebay's capability to fix this if they do not want their site to imply a status that is misleading.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

1.  EBAY can and should remove anything that is not true from its representation. 

2. It displays a timeline with three headers.  "Paid" "Shipped" and "Delivered"

3. There is ZERO reason to update "Shipped" with a date that is false. 

4. They CAN change the word from "Shipped" to "Tracking" then list the tracking number below. 

5. This is an easy solution to the actual problem I addressed.  If only I were communicating with people from Ebay who had the slightest ability (or desire) to improve customer experience.  Ebay has zero interest in taking on the role and responsibility of customer service, otherwise that option would be available.

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

Because I didn't pay extra for "when I get around to it" shipping.

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

You still have to consider the seller's handling time. The estimated delivery date will reflect that for each of the shipping options. You need to look at the estimated delivery dates when making your purchasing decisions - whether it's paying for expedited service or buying from someone who ships faster.

Expedited shipping does not change the seller's handling time - always look at estimated delivery dates.

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

---One more update.  I just received a refund from the seller so clearly, Shipped didn't mean shipped, and "probably post office delayed scanning" is not the problem.  Problem is that Ebay does not ensure it reflects truth that is accessible.  Now I paid extra for a 48 hour delay!

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

I "shipped" something an hour ago.  Obviously the mail doesn't go at 5:30pm, but this is when I created the shipping label and on my screen it says shipped.  It was shipped, just not picked up.    It will be picked up tomorrow.  I changed the date to tomorrow and added a note to the buyer that it will go out tomorrow. 

I don't control what eBay shows on the screen.  I'm not trying to fool anyone.  We work with what we've been given!

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 20 of 31
latest reply

A lot of sites out there does this, from Amazon to HD, BB, Office Max to a host of other smaller sites. It is not something limited to eBay.

As soon as a label is created the message to the buyer goes out. 

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

@tgles   I agree and have complained to eBay about this quite a while ago and it still isn't fixed.  Seller metrics are based on the carrier getting the Acceptance scan and uploading that to the eBay Sold item which is when the item is actually SHIPPED ...

You are 100% correct, until the carrier has the package in their possession it has NOT shipped.  Printing a label is NOT shipping a package ...

Mr. L

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 22 of 31
latest reply

2nd and "here, here" @mr_lincoln .  

It doesn't matter that other sites use the same wording. That is no excuse for providing misinformation and leading to disappointed expectations.

Nor is the OP's comment strictly muted by mentioning handling time. Presumably if the item has shipped, the time for "handling" is over. 

@tgles, I'm glad you now have your refund. I agree the message about shipped was misleading.

It seems in your case, that an equally important take away is, even when a buyer chooses an expedited shipping service over standard delivery, sellers do not have to expediate handling time.

(I would if I did, but I wouldn't so I don't. The choice of expediated shipping service is not provided. Expedited shipping service is used only when necessitated by package weight.)

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

As others have stated; this is what many sites do.

They ALL should have 'processing' then 'label created' then 'carrier pickup' etc. but almost no one does this.

But!.......... since this is a site that puts Buyers and Sellers together and NOTHING is shipped 'by eBay', then EVERYTHING is done by an individual Seller.

Therefore, locating, wrapping, packing in a box or envelope and...MOST IMPORTANTLY- PAYING for a shipping label and adhering it onto the package ready for the carrier to 'get it' (pick up or seller drop off)...

IS technically THE BEGINNING (and most important since a tracking number PROVES that a seller has PAID for a shipping label) of 'shipping'; therefore 'shipped. 

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

As others have stated; this is what many sites do.

They ALL should have 'processing' then 'label created' then 'carrier pickup' etc. but almost no one does this.

But!.......... since this is a site that puts Buyers and Sellers together and NOTHING is shipped 'by eBay', then EVERYTHING is done by an individual Seller.

Therefore, locating, wrapping, packing in a box or envelope and...MOST IMPORTANTLY- PAYING for a shipping label and adhering it onto the package ready for the carrier to 'get it' (pick up or seller drop off)...

IS technically THE BEGINNING (and most important since a tracking number PROVES that a seller has PAID for a shipping label) of 'shipping'; therefore 'shipped. 

@stainlessenginecovers  For me the litmus test is what eBay uses for the Seller metric for on time shipping, meaning getting the Acceptance scan within the Handling time.  When the Carrier scans the package in to their system it is Shipped ... nothing prior to that equates to the package being Shipped. "Processed"? sure, "Label created?" sure.

If a Seller "marks" the item as Shipped eBay needs to state that AND point out that the package may or may not be in the Carrier's possession ... which is true until a verifiable scan has been completed.

Regards,
Message 25 of 31
latest reply

I know, I get it. 

When a label is created, the ebay system 'marks' it as shipped. I've NEVER marked ANYTHING as 'shipped' on this site. It gets done automatically (label creation)

We both know that it was fairly 'recent' that the metric changed from 'label printed' to 'carrier scan' (2019?) 

So anything 'prior to' that a 'label was created giving a tracking number to the buyer' was considered 'all a seller had to do'. 

Also know that sometimes, especially 1st Class, items are NOT scanned for days (no, I don't "GO" to the post office, I've done 'on the porch pickup' since starting this business in 2011.

I also know that my metrics state I have 2 items that were not 'shipped' on time, yet buyer bought on 5/7 and had it across the country on 5/11- per the tracking and I have 5 BUSINESS DAYS for handling.

So, this is just another 'thing' that has 'glitches'. 

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

I don't print labels. I write my own addresses and use real postage so I guess you would never know when my items are shipped. And especially International. 

This reminds me of the person describing "lot" as more than one even though we use it for one.

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

I don't print labels. I write my own addresses and use real postage so I guess you would never know when my items are shipped. And especially International. 

This reminds me of the person describing "lot" as more than one even though we use it for one.

I did the same thing @12345jamesstamps when I got started but always uploaded the tracking number when I got back home ... now I print labels through eBay for the discount plus it saves time at the Post Office ...

Regards,
Message 28 of 31
latest reply

I buy my postage under retail bulk on eBay. I'm sure its cheaper than labels with postage.

I don't sell Amazon, Walmart & Target resell junk so I maybe once a week need tracking.

Plus I am 6 blocks on my motorcycle to the post office. I love to ride it.

Plus everyone knows me at my Post Office like in "Cheers".

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

You paid extra?

Was a cheaper slower method offered?

What you paid for was for the seller to ship it Priority, an expedited method when they mail it. 

That has nothing to do with the seller's  handling time. You're thinking because it's expedited shipping the handling has to be expedited, too.  That is not true. Like someone said, if you want it put in the mail  quickly choose sellers that have 1 day handling.

Message 30 of 31
latest reply