cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay facilitates deceptive shipping status.

Ebay facilitates deceptive shipping status:
1. The word, "Shipped" has a universally recognized definition and is PAST TENSE.
2. Seller should not be able to mark items, "Shipped" while retaining possession for more than 24 hours.
3. If a shipping company does not HAVE (present tense) an item, it CANNOT be, "Shipped" (past tense).

4. At the same time Ebay status can show 'shipped" while the shipper status is "awaiting acceptance"

5. It is within Ebay's capability to fix this if they do not want their site to imply a status that is misleading.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Yes, this one nags at many buyers. Agreed that 'Shipping label created' would be better verbiage. Hang in there.

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

eBay provides a system to see what is going on with a tracking number:

They are not facilitating fraud in this.

If this is the USPS: well it make take some time to be scaned unless it id done directly though the PO (cost you more to do so). Its a pay more get less situation these days with the shippers.

An all listings you purchase there is a handling time as well as a estimated delivery time.

When and if the time of the estimated time  runs out file an item not received case.

Do not rely on that tracking to see if it is shipped or not: Do pay attention to the estimated delivery time.

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

past tense...........I like that a lot

if you look at the ebay tracking for a newly printed label is says one thing

if you use the same number with USPS then you get a slightly different version of it

the sellers do not control what ebay shows or what the usps shows

you can try to find sellers who use 1 day shipping. 1 day shipping is what ebay suggests

active sellers who use 1 day shipping are not slouches

I am sorry you might have found a seller who cant get it in gear

@tgles 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 4 of 31
latest reply

When I print a label, I can change the 'date' it is actually shipping; but it STILL says 'shipped' and shows a tracking number. Print on Tuesday, change 'date' to Wednesday; still shows tracking number for buyer. 

Someday, they may fix that. 

But, know this is not just an 'eBay' thing. 

I purchased on 2 different websites and got a 'IT's SHIPPED' email, with a tracking number underlined for me to click on.

I click on it.

It says "shipping label created, carrier awaiting receipt"- which is latin for 'we ain't got it yet'

If a seller is more than 1 day past that tracking number, then there's a problem. 

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

Hi @tgles 

eBay actually notifies buyers that “Your item is being shipped!” as soon as the seller creates a shipping label.

That appears to be the best eBay can do … as it has no way to know when the item is brought to the post office.  [USPS often fails to scan packages ‘Accepted’.]

It is customary for selling venues to use the word ‘Shipped’ after a label is created … so eBay is following the norm.  

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

I get what you're saying but every internet site I buy from does it the same way. Other marketplaces, big box stores etc.

Once I get a tracking number I track it directly on the carrier's site.

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

1. Every point I listed is a fact. 

2. Bottom line, Ebay controls their website.  They selected the word "shipped."   If that is not precisely the status then, they can and it is their responsibility to, choose one or more words that DO accurately reflect the status.

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

Thanks,  the bottom line is tha Ebay controls their website design.  They selected the word "shipped."   If that is not precisely the status then, they can and it is their responsibility to, choose one or more words that DO accurately reflect the status.

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

Bottom line, Ebay controls their website.  They selected the word "shipped."   If that is not precisely the status then, they can and it is their responsibility to, choose one or more words that DO accurately reflect the status.

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

@tgles wrote:

Bottom line, Ebay controls their website.  They selected the word "shipped."   If that is not precisely the status then, they can and it is their responsibility to, choose one or more words that DO accurately reflect the status.

@tgles 

The vast majority of eBay users understand that eBay uses the word 'shipped' in the same way as every other online shipping company.

eBay cannot change the wording for every member who wants it stated a different way.

Have good day!   🙂

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

1.  Everybody does it?  Really?  How about expecting accuracy?

2. I paid extra for expedited shipping.  

3. Ebay CAN and SHOULD fix this.  It's not even hard.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

What is shown on eBay is not necessarily accurate anyway; it’s much more accurate to run the tracking number through the carriers website.  This isn’t exactly an eBay problem anyway; I suspect it’s the carriers not uploading information in a timely manner to the respective websites.

I have an item purchased through a different website - not eBay - that still shows “in transit, delivery date 6/23” on that website, but USPS shows it out for delivery today.  This tells me it’s not an eBay problem per se, but a carrier issue.

GloryBells  • 
eBay Mentor Since 2008

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

Most sellers buy shipping labels online and the carrier picks them up next day or the seller drops them off.

Yes, the buyer is notified that it's shipped when the label is created. This is the way it's done everywhere. You don't have to like it but that's the way it's done.

If you bought something and it's delivered late that's a different issue altogether (I didn't see any mention of that in your OP.)

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

Honestly, why does it matter? I just got an email from another website I ordered from saying my order has shipped, but when I click the tracking number it just says the label has been created. I couldn't care less whether it has shipped this very moment or will ship tomorrow; I know that means it will be in the mail within a day or two and that's all I care about.

Message 15 of 31
latest reply