cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Standard Shipping Suddenly Unavailable. Is anyone else having issues?

All of a sudden I'm not able to select the "Ebay Standard Shipping" option for coins and collectibles even though I'm in the right category/price range/shipping weight/size, etc.  This has never been an issue before.  Is anyone else experiencing this issue at the moment?  Just wondering if it's a site issue or something else.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Looks like mine is up again as of 9:45 am (Central time), Tuesday, Sept. 6th.  Hopefully it stays that way.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 31 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

@antiques10101 I've seen several reports here lately of issues in some of the trading card categories, but haven't heard anything about coins.

devon@ebay have you heard anything back from the shipping team? Is there maybe a larger issue with availability of standard envelope?

Message 2 of 40
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@antiques10101 I've seen several reports here lately of issues in some of the trading card categories, but haven't heard anything about coins.

devon@ebay have you heard anything back from the shipping team? Is there maybe a larger issue with availability of standard envelope?

Hey @valueaddedresource! I have not heard an update back from the Shipping Team but I will reach back out and once I hear back I will be sure to let you know! 

Devon,
eBay
Message 3 of 40
latest reply

I just spoke to a customer service rep on the phone and from my understanding he told me that this is supposedly part of a larger issue going on and that he was/is in the process of submitting a "ticket" on the issue.  So hopefully that means a fix is in the works, but no timeframe was mentioned.

Message 4 of 40
latest reply

Still a problem today...why so slow to fix?

Message 5 of 40
latest reply

I again talked to someone last night (around 6pm Central time on 9/1) and I from what I understood it could be a while due to the holiday weekend, although I was also told that this issue was being escalated.  Again however, no definite timeframe on anything.  It's becoming costly, as I'm now having to send things USPS (BIG difference in cost...from .57 cents per item, now to at least $3.48).  I'm hoping it gets fixed soon, but I'm currently having to readjust many of my listings to address the issue. 

Message 6 of 40
latest reply

By the way, I'm not sure how many users this is affecting (or how seriously it's being taken at this point).  You might want to consider letting ebay know about your issue so they can include you in the fix.  I've found that typically the fastest way to reach someone in customer service is to have them contact me by phone.  But it's totally up to you.   It usually seems like the more people that bring up an issue, the quicker they fix it.

Message 7 of 40
latest reply

I should have looked here first. I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with a rep who tried to convince me that the specific subcategories I had chosen for the one stamp and two different pieces of currency sold were not supported by the Standard Envelope:

https://www.ebay.com/b/US-Revenue-Stamps/690/bn_2310784
https://www.ebay.com/b/Japanese-Paper-Money/48027/bn_16563281
https://www.ebay.com/b/Chinese-Paper-Money/3432/bn_16562291  

I told her "boulderdash," that the entire Stamps and Coins/Currency categories were supposed to be supported, if the packaging/value met the criteria (which these did). I told her it was an ebay issue, and to put a repair ticket in for it, which she eventually did after some more coaching by me. And she gave me a $20 credit to my account to make up for the lost money on more expensive package shipping with tracking!

For some odd reason, she also emailed me the list of trading card categories that support standard envelope, something which I don't think has been published yet on the ebay website, so here is the list if anyone is interested and wants to share:

Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Sports Trading Cards > Australian Football Cards (166107)

Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Sports Trading Cards > Auto Racing Cards (666)

Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Sports Trading Cards > Baseball Cards (213)

Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Sports Trading Cards > Basketball Cards (214)

Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Sports Trading Cards > Bowling Cards (170131)

Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Sports Trading Cards > Boxing Cards (37795)

Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Sports Trading Cards > College Cards (133072)

Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Sports Trading Cards > Cricket Cards (25579)

Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Sports Trading Cards > Cycling Cards (183715)

Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Sports Trading Cards > Football Cards (215)

Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Sports Trading Cards > Golf Cards (4240)

Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Sports Trading Cards > Horse Racing Cards (43363)

Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Sports Trading Cards > Ice Hockey Cards (216)

Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Sports Trading Cards > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) Cards (170134)

Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Sports Trading Cards > Olympics Cards (2956)

Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Sports Trading Cards > Other Sports Trading Cards (217)

Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Sports Trading Cards > Rugby League (NRL) Cards (25583)

Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Sports Trading Cards > Rugby Union Cards (2969)

Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Sports Trading Cards > Soccer Cards (183444)

Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Sports Trading Cards > Tennis Cards (43371)

Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Sports Trading Cards > Wrestling Cards (183435)

Toys & Hobbies > Collectible Card Games > Individual Collectible Card Game Cards (183454)

Toys & Hobbies > Collectible Card Games > Sealed Collectible Card Game Booster Packs (183456)

Toys & Hobbies > Collectible Card Games > CCG Mixed Card Lots (183455)

Collectibles > Non-Sport Trading Cards & Accessories > Trading Card Lots (183051)

Collectibles > Non-Sport Trading Cards & Accessories > Non-Sport Trading Card Singles (183050)

Collectibles > Non-Sport Trading Cards & Accessories > Sealed Trading Card Packs (183053)

BTW, I can report that the standard envelope glitch is not affecting postcards. I don't know about trading cards.

Message 8 of 40
latest reply

I had the same issue today and talked with CS. I've been dozens of coins with same template not problem and suddenly standard is greyed out. Told I'm on the ticket and they will refund the shipping for the 4 orders I had to ship today to avoid a defect rating.

Message 9 of 40
latest reply

Yes, I've been having trouble since yesterday (Sept. 1st).  I've had to put my store in vacation mode, thus shuttering it because 75% or so of my sales involve the eBay standard envelope and it's not working in the Coin & Paper Money category right now.  An "American" lady on eBay told me that a note from technical service said that it would be fixed BY OCTOBER 25TH!  I told her I'll be long out of business on eBay if it should take 7 weeks to fix!  Right now, I have 7 orders to 6 different customers that involve the eBay standard envelope going back to yesterday.  I've had to email them to let them know the situation and that they will be going out with a stamp on Tuesday if this should not be fixed.  My guess is most will make it & it is cheaper to lose 1 or 2 of the 6 packages than to waste $4 per package on some of these.  One order is like $27.98.  That one might get a USPS First Class tracking because I'll still profit on it if I pay $4, but I can't pay $4 to ship a coin that sold for $7.99 with free shipping.  I paid $4 or thereabout for the coin before the eBay fees LOL!

Message 10 of 40
latest reply

I'm absolutely frustrated with the fact that the eBay standard envelope is not working under Coin & Paper Money and has, thus, unfortunately shuttered my eBay store as I cannot go through 500 listings exactly to fix the shipping for 300 or so of them.  It also shuts down the sales for coins that do not need the eBay standard envelope, which is where most of my money is made.  I make most of my money selling a coin that for $930 that I paid $600 for or $2,500 that I paid $2,100 for.  With my store shuttered, that leaves only the store on USA Coin Book that I have these coins listed on to use to sell, but USA Coin Book accounts for only about 5% of my total online sales with eBay making up about 92% or so.  I have the USA Coin Book site set up to cover the proper USPS shipping since there is no equivalent eBay standard envelope on that site, which usually means a person cannot buy a Washington silver quarter for $6.49 with free shipping as he will be charged $3.99 shipping for that same $6.49 silver quarter.  I do have combined shipping turned on there just as I have it on eBay, but that usually removes any chance that I am getting a sale of 1 or 2 silver quarters on that site, which is common on eBay.  Usually, customers buy in bulk on that site, which is not the case on eBay as most customers buy just 1 coin or 2 coins at the most in the usual case.  

EBAY, PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE ASAP SO THAT I CAN REOPEN MY STORE!  I cannot adjust 300 or so listings and go through 500 listings; I need you to get on this issue now.  Stop making quarterly adjustments that mess with your eBay standard envelope.  First off, you should NEVER grey out the eBay standard envelope.  We all know what is allowed in the eBay standard envelope if we have read the rules and if we choose to put something in that doesn't qualify, we run that risk.  Also, the Post Office won't even accept the package if we put an eBay standard envelope on a package or an envelope that is too large.  We are not that dumb; at least, I hope we are not that dumb.  I'm sorry, but I am really frustrated here as weekends are my busiest time of the whole week, especially a holiday weekend, and now, I have had to shutter my store lest I end up with 30 orders that require the eBay standard envelope to mail out on Tuesday and NO WAY to mail them out without suffering a loss.

Message 11 of 40
latest reply

I had no issues yesterday and today when printing standard envelope labels for coins sold in the Canadian Coins - 25 Cents subcategory. But all other coin categories that I've listed coins under are having issues even though they normally qualify for this shipping option. Not sure why that one category is ok. I've raised the issue with eBay support several times but as of 11 am Eastern on Sep 3 it's still not resolved. I'm concerned that eBay IT may consider this a minor enough issue -- after all, average selling price is quite low to qualify -- to not get looked at until next week, after Labor Day.

Message 12 of 40
latest reply

Yes, but most of my listings fall in that category of $20 or less under Coin & Paper Money, so I have had to shut my store down until further notice that it is fixed.  I did so after being told by eBay that its IT department says the issue should be fixed by OCTOBER 25TH!!!!!!!  I said to her, "You have to be F***ING kidding me!"  I'll long be out of business if it should not be fixed until late October.

Message 13 of 40
latest reply

The sales I was referring to that worked were in Coins & Paper Money - Canadian Coins - 25 Cents. All were under $20/ea and were within weight and other limitations. No idea why that category is ok but US coins, South African coins, etc that meet specs of that shipping method are not working.

And agree, that date is nuts. I think "Oct 25" just means they have no idea when it will be fixed. Really frustrating.

Message 14 of 40
latest reply

Yes, it is frustrating because I have 500 listings & about 300 are structured for the eBay standard envelope.  These 7 orders to 6 customers I have outstanding would have been easily profitable & cost me about $4 to ship total; now, I have 3 orders to 2 customers that I will combine and pay the $4 apiece to ship those, so that's $8 to get rid of those 3 orders and the other 4 are getting a stamp and a prayer that they get there and that the customers won't report them as never arriving.  I have no choice though because it would cost about $24 to print 6 labels to ship these 7 orders instead of the $4 to ship them with the eBay standard envelope, so I have to roll the dice as I'm going to lose anyway.  

With my store shuttered, none of the expensive coins such as the gold coins and the Morgan dollars are selling because I can't just turn off coins with eBay standard envelope as their method of shipping unless I go through and end 300 listings, but then I have to relist those 300 listings.  It's just a really bad situation right now and I don't think eBay fully understands how serious this issue is.  I call them all the time about issues they need to fix and nothing ever gets done.  They listen; they take notes; they send them out; and my ideas never get put into play.  I told them that customers should not be allowed to file disputes for the eBay standard envelope if a tracking number is uploaded until at the very least 30 days after the purchase since we can't file a claim with PIP until 30 days AFTER THE CREATION OF THE SHIPPING LABEL.  I have had several people file claims between 7 days to 12 days after I had mailed it out & most of the coins have arrived after eBay has granted them a refund. 

Now most customers have been nice enough to pay me back and PIP has still covered me for the others, but this would be a nonissue if they forced the customers to wait as they force the sellers.  I just had some guy open a dispute on day 13 of his eBay standard envelope being in the mail, but he was nice and waited a little longer.  It arrived on day 17.  A lot of these eBay standard envelopes take a while to arrive.  I had one guy way and it arrived on day 29; another on day 21; another on day 23; and so on.  I've filed two claims and been paid by PIP only to have them arrive back at my house weeks after PIP had paid me, saying there is no such forwarding address.  I've contacted both customers and both have said the address listed on the envelope is their address, so I don't know what goes on with the eBay standard envelope, but it's insured, so I don't mind using it.  If I send out with a stamp, it is NOT insured, so I can't really take that chance except for these few orders I have right now because I have no other option except to refund the customers and I don't want to do that since most of them are repeat customers.

Message 15 of 40
latest reply