cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Closed Case My Favor, Now Buyer opens Paypal Dispute

Okay in 20 years never had a paypal dispute so not sure how to handle.

I sold a projector Parts or Repairs, "Needs Light"

Description : Powers on, no light, remote works some times. Of course I do not know anything about these or if I even put the tray in properly. So selling as is parts or repair will come with all pictured. Original box but well worn.

Buyer opens return :

Reason for return
Missing parts or pieces

Comments
I just received the package today but it doesnt have a bulb in it. I want to return this item.

Okay exchange few emails, Okay just go away I tell buyer send it back I'll refund less shipping. Buyer is like no you send label and full refund then I'll send back.

I escalate ebay closes case in like 30 minutes, now he opens paypal dispute. No lightbulb, same **bleep**. I sent Pay-pal all the info again and eBay resolution, so how does this work?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Buyer will be required to pay the return shipping back to you. When you receive the item back, you refund. Not sure what the timeline is for Paypal for the buyer to mail it back.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Prepare to lose the PayPal case but it’s possible the buyer will decide not to return when he finds out he is responsible for return shipping. Unless he is enrolled in their free returns program. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

So paypal will not look at the item sold as described. Will paypal tell buyer to return the item? Pay-pal has it under review right now.
Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@badrockwrote:
So paypal will not look at the item sold as described. Will paypal tell buyer to return the item? Pay-pal has it under review right now.

Pay Pal will have them return the item. but the buyer will pay return shipping.

I've never had a case filed through Pay Pal, but I hear it's harder for a seller to win then it is on Ebay.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Pretty sure buyer will refuse to return at his expense, this guy is something else. He asked me why would I sell something for parts or repair. Then said well I just saw buy it now and I did.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

how can I lose without return?
Message 7 of 21
latest reply

you should be well aware

Description is something

a) the buyer may read or not

b) the buyer may use against you (i.E. representative photo not exactly same as actual item)

Basically they only need a trigger of some kind and can give almost any reason. You won the ebay case and thats not too common.

You should be aware of the avenues a buyer has avail:

a) ebay case and ebay return

b) paypal case and escalation to a claim

c) chargeback through their bank / card issuer 

An ebay case will change to paypal claim + escalation when they open on paypal while ebay claim is open. They can also open anew when ebay case closed.

Even if refused by paypal they can file with their bank, you need totally compelling evidence + for item condition or fitness the banks can not and do not check.

The reason why it is not common are the pecularities for the buyer:

a) the bank will not allow too many chargebacks, they may withdraw accounts and it may affect credit rating.

b) it is a lot of effort to initiate a chargeback

If they only used paypal balance, after refusal by paypal, their avenues are finished.

The problem here is ebay does not prevent a claim or return, even if the item clearly is marked as "For parts, defective, not new". They should not allow claims or returns for certain kinds of items, as normally it will be the obvious why not and the price will be accordingly + "for parts" is exactly what some buyers want to purchase, no problems with that.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

I thought that Paypal will not review the same complaint if it's already been resolved (in the seller's favor) through eBay.  Anyone?   OP, you may want to contact Paypal and let them know that eBay already closed this complaint in your favor.  

previously known as boardnpostsid
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@shoptalkidwrote:

I thought that Paypal will not review the same complaint if it's already been resolved (in the seller's favor) through eBay.  Anyone?   OP, you may want to contact Paypal and let them know that eBay already closed this complaint in your favor.  

@shoptalkid That’s not true. PayPal policy changed when the company’s split 3-4 years ago and PayPal does entertain a claim after an eBay case has been filed. The buyer has 3 bites at the Apple here. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 11 of 21
latest reply

He is not saying not as described he is saying it needs a light bulb. Item Condition "Needs Light"

Further more I said okay return item, he said no until you send me a return label and full refund then I will return.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Thanks for the help called paypal they closed case.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Even if you were to win the PayPal case the buyer can still end up winning.  Buyer can wait out the case and not return the item.  Once the case times out and closes the buyer can open a dispute with their credit card company.  Ebay has a shorter time frame from opening a case and returning an item. PayPal has a longer time period and credit card companies have a very long time for a buyer to open a dispute.  I don't think it is possible for a buyer to win a credit card chargeback dispute. 

Hope the buyer opts not return the item and goes away. 

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

I had a similar situation.  Buyer opened an ebay case saying item I sold was damaged, broken glass.

I asked for photos.  Buyer would not send photos.  

I called ebay, and they told me the buyer has to provide proof of receiving a damaged item.

I asked for photos again.  Buyer refused.

The next day the buyer opened a Paypal case that put a hold on my paypal account.

I called paypal and asked why I was blindsided when the buyer already had an ebay case open.

Paypal representative initiated a 3 way phone call between us and ebay.

Both ebay and paypal immediately closed the case in my favor.  Ebay and paypal stated that users; buyers and sellers alike are subject to terms that they will not open cases on both ebay and paypal for the same transaction, only one and they will abide by that decision.  

YOU NEED TO CALL USING A PHONE!!  No one at ebay or paypal reads any of the case details unless you call them and ask them to look at all the correspondence.  Paypal will claim that they are not part of ebay, but when you tell them a case for the same transaction was opened on ebay, they will contact ebay.

Good Luck - Don't give up.  That's why buyers get away with a lot of item not as described return cases, no one at ebay gets involved with the details unless you call them and force them to look at it, and sellers cave in too easily.  CALL USING A TELEPHONE.  As a seller, it's your final value fees and transacation fees that are paying for those phone reps, so use them.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply