cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doesn't an item have to ship within a timeframe from the time the label is printed?

I purchased an item on 11/4 and the seller printed the shipping label immediately and I received the notice that the item shipped and got the tracking number the same day. 

It was suppose to be here by Thursday 11/9 according to the estimated delivery date.  I contacted the seller Thursday when the tracking showed nothing telling him if he hadn't shipped yet to refund my money so I could purchase it from another seller~~it was for meds for my dog that I NEED. 

Tracking finally showed yesterday that he shipped it yesterday.  If he printed the label on Saturday the 4th how many days does he have to be able to use that same label?  Now ebay has extended the delivery date to Wed. the 15th. 

I ship over the counter at the post office so I don't know much about labels you print yourself.  I did think though that you had to use that label within just a few days of printing it for it to be good to use?  I wouldn't think it would be good to use 6 days later.

This is the 3rd  time in a month this has happened~~the 1st 2 never shipped at all.  It's pretty sad that after being here selling for 18 years I can see why buyers distrust ebay sellers~~I'm beginning to distrust them myself.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Doesn't an item have to ship within a timeframe from the time the label is printed?

Oops, sorry, I overlooked that.

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

Re: Doesn't an item have to ship within a timeframe from the time the label is printed?

When I purchased these on 11/4 I had enough on hand to last IF the seller had shipped on time.  I still have enough on hand to last another few days until HOPEFULLY these get here.  So--when I ordered these it wasn't a time sensitive purchase.  It only became time sensitive when he didn't ship until Friday the 10th.

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

I just looked at the tracking and it shows it's still at the distribution center in Atlanta, GA. since early yesterday AM.

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

I ordered something from Ebay as well, and i received the shipped notice.  Then i noticed the item wasn't tracking, so i entered the tracking number on USPS website & it showed only a label was created and wasn't even shipped yet, that was 2 days ago.  Personally when i use to sale on Ebay, i never printed the label until i was ready to ship it out.  I'm guessing some sellers just do it, so you wont ask for a refund 5hrs later.

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

Another reason why sellers print labels right away is that sometimes there are glitches or even complete failures in the eBay shipping label system.  So if for intance you paid for an item on Friday and the seller had 1-day (or 2-day) shipping so planned to ship on Monday (or Tuesday) they might go ahead and print your shipping label on Friday night just to ensure that it's ready to go on Monday. This would also cover situations where there was a seller-related emergency such as a health issue or a power loss.

Message 20 of 32
latest reply

It was time sensitive by definition - you needed it by a certain date that is only a few days beyond absolute best case and allows no leeway for weather, USPS screwups, any seller slack, label printing failures, and a half dozen other eBay specific failure issues.

As seen by your followup post, it is stuck in a sorting center, and even if it had shipped Tuesday might have gotten stuck there. With the holiday, all bets are off.

Ignore eBay delivery estimates - they are effectively useless even if right more than half the time (because that other half involves people with time sensitive needs that weren't met).

On eBay, it gets here when it does. If I need it Monday I go somewhere (if possible) that has a better defined delivery structure and delivery track record - Amazon , WM, HD, etc (and not 3rd party sellers at any of those places unless proven track record)

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

No~~it wasn't time sensitive.  I ordered it in plenty of time IF THE SELLER HAD SHIPPED IT.  If he had shipped it by Tuesday it would have been here by now.  It left Atlanta this morning according to the tracking.

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

I checked the tracking & it left Madison at 1:00 this morning so it should be delivered today.  Once it finally got shipped it is coming fast.  I am getting them in time to not run out but it's just the fact the seller shipped on the 5th business day & not on the 2nd business day as he stated in the listing.  If I hadn't sent him a message on Thursday he probably still wouldn't have shipped.  NOW I just have to hope he actually shipped what I purchased & not something else (like an empty box).

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

Do you receive a lot of empty boxes?

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

I'd be more concerned about trusting meds from someone who's unreliable or calls buyers names.  Make sure your medication is sealed and a genuine product and isn't older than the expiration date.

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

I did get them Monday and the box was sealed and the expiration date was fine.  I still have some of her other bottle left so they did get here before I ran out.  The label was dated for Monday 11/6 shipping and he mailed 11/10.  I'm just not going to leave any feedback~~I'm sure he got % drop for  not shipping on time so that's enough.  I just won't buy from him again.

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

If FedEx or UPS is chosen shipper doesn't have to ship right away as both carriers do not charge for the service until item is actually shipped. Shipper can wait a long time if need be to ship since label is not in a window like USPS. USPS seems to have a 24-hour window once a label is purchased. Depending upon service grade (Parcel Select versus Priority) travel time, account weather or act of God, may take longer.

FedEx Smartpost is the worst offender as a shipping choice (which is why I never offer it as a seller). It's economically priced and I guess you get what you pay for: 7 day wait time receiving instead of 2-3. Shared delivery between USPS and FedEx guarantees 1 carrier will play against the other if a claim is involved. Lose-lose for both buyer and seller.

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

another bad seller,who cant get the stuff out the door,pitiful
Message 28 of 32
latest reply

I find it to be normal for sellers to do this.

I buy and then it shows shipped. 2 days later nothing. then nothing.

I bought Sunday and the parcel now shows accepted on Friday. Well outside of the handling time. Too many sellers seem to think they've found a loophole.

Meanwhile other sites are hopping this close to the holiday with last minute gifts and I and most people I know are ignoring eBay for gifts, knowing that 2 weeks is likely not enough time to get stuff from eBay.

That's why eBay is shoving the 3 day shipping stuff down everybody's throat. They know that sellers take their time, and they want to change the perception. Only problem is that some think everything on eBay is 3 days, chose the cheapest shipping and then start screaming bloody murder that their stuff isn't there. Most of my stuff there's no way it can go 3 day shipping for under $100. Yeah, I'm screwed.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 29 of 32
latest reply

per usps policy labels should be used on the date on the label but that depends on someone w the post office noticing the date and caring to refuse the package

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 30 of 32
latest reply