cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did USPS Media Mail rates just change?

I knew that there was a new USPS Ground Advantage shipping service but I was unaware that Media Mail rates were changing. I just posted a new book on eBay and my 1 lb package came up at $3.92 for shipping instead of the expected $3.65. Does anyone have more information on this? I tried searching and couldn’t find more information - the USPS website is not easy to navigate to find out pricing info for media mail.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Did USPS Media Mail rates just change?

@slyders_finds ,

Inflation affect the USPS just like the rest of us. They are passing their costs on to the customer just we should be doing.

Haven't  you noticed the prices at the grocery stores and restaurants? They obviously have been passing their costs to the consumers.

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

@slyders_finds ,

You can call me stupid. Can you please explain to us why eBay should be paying part of shipping charges?

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

Yeah, Ebay is a whole different animal. Not a grocery store. All the grocery stores copy each others prices. If you want to eat you pay the price. EBay has been a race to the bottom for years unless you have something collectable. I don't know about your buyers but alot vent to me they want free shipping. So everytime shipping costs rise they may not want to buy your item because of that. Alot of things aren't even worth selling anymore because shipping is or almost cost more than the item itself. If Ebay were to help in a small way, that could keep shipping costs leveled for a longer period of time. Have you ever had a dispute with a customer(scammer) and Ebay let's you as the seller keep the money AND pays the customer back out of their pocket and thee buyer keeps the item? It's a tax write-off. Now people who sell media mail or digital delivery exclusively will always be comfortable selling their items. 

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

I wouldn't call you stupid. "Playing dumb" as I commented before is more  psychological than literal. Here is my response to a person who commented before you. Basically saying what you are asking. 

"Yeah, Ebay is a whole different animal. Not a grocery store. All the grocery stores copy each others prices. If you want to eat you pay the price. EBay has been a race to the bottom for years unless you have something collectable. I don't know about your buyers but alot vent to me they want free shipping. So everytime shipping costs rise they may not want to buy your item because of that. Alot of things aren't even worth selling anymore because shipping is or almost cost more than the item itself. If Ebay were to help in a small way, that could keep shipping costs leveled for a longer period of time. Have you ever had a dispute with a customer(scammer) and Ebay let's you as the seller keep the money AND pays the customer back out of their pocket and the buyer keeps the item? It's a tax write-off. Now people who sell media mail or digital delivery exclusively will always be comfortable selling their items." 

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

"Ebay Needs to start paying for at least a 1/4 of the shipping cost." Why would any platform do that?

Message 20 of 29
latest reply

@slyders_finds ,

Don't we all want free shipping? There is no such thing as free shipping. Sellers who offer free shipping bury the shipping costs in the price of the item.

What does eBay helping out with shipping costs have to do with return scammers? One way to counteract that is to offer FREE returns as I do. Buyers have no reason to lie on why they want to return something. I have it set up where eBay will automatically approve a return so that I have to refund until I receive the item back. If the item is damaged I can deduct up to 50% of the sales price.    

So, do you really believe grocery stores copy each others prices? Well, I have news for you. Below are prices for a 10.75 ounce can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup for 6 grocery stores in your area.

Safeway $1.79

Giant $1.69

Wegman's $1.69

Target $1.39

Lidl $1.26

Walmart $1.26

There is a greater than 40% difference in price top to bottom.

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

And i could easily find examples of grocery prices favoring my statement. Its not that deep. People whine about Ebay not helping them. I suggest something that may encourage sales and that's a bad idea. Lol. I will put you in the hard no column. Interesting I found you have some major negs on your record. One relating to shipping of all things. 100% feedback on both my accounts. 🙌

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

If an auction, the rates in effect at time of auction end would apply. If a fixed price, then the price for shipping follows the same pattern, you just encounter current day pricing.

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

The lightest books now cost $3.92 to ship, With States sales Tax added a few years ago and eBay fees on postage and Sales tax that is usually adding at least another $1.00 in cost. So a Seller now does not start paying his book inventory cost much less begin making any profit on the lightest book until the customer has paid at least $5.00 either in Shipping or Sales Price. I think Postal fee increases and State Sales taxes are ruining the  online Book selling Industry. At what point do customers just say the price is to high. I think we are already past that time for many customers. I understand how businesses can price themselves out of Business, poor online sellers are being forced to price themselves out of Business by the Postal Service and State Governments.

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

@goldstandard-2008 ,

In my opinion I think it is a bargain to have a book shipped across the country for $3.92. Since media mail costs the same regardless of distance.

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

I wish the majority of buyers and those that have quit buying online due to increased cost had your opinion. $3.92 is a bargain in your opinion, at some price point, you would say it is not a bargain. I am afraid $3.92 for a pound or less book (which actually very few books weight a pound or less), has already past that bargain point in the opinion of many.  

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

I can't tell what is going on.  I ship books by Media Mail and have done so for 23 years.  I mailed a package with a book one week ago that weighed 2 pounds--postage $4.67--today I find that I have to pay $7.19 for same service on a 1" 7 oz book package to the same locale.  Surely something is wrong!  stampmantom

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

MM 2# rate is still $4.67.

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

I know this is old, but it just went up again $ 4.13 for media mail.

I'm this <--> close to shutting down.

Message 29 of 29
latest reply