cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did UPS just raise rates thru the roof?

I ship fishing rods and tackle boxes thru UPS, I took them off the last week of December but when I relisted them this week I noticed rates jumped, I don't mean a little but alot. My fishing rods shipping jumped from $13 to $19. I noticed it when I went to check a listing and saw the jump, when I look at my listings it shows what shipping would be to my zip code, I scared the think what it cost to east-west coasts. As far as tackle boxes, when I set up the listing, I measured the shipping box and compared between PO and UPS, Ups was a whole lot cheaper, now PO is a little less.

I'm not talking about setting up new listings, these are ones I had already listed beginning December. I read UPS was raising rates around 7% but this looks more like 70%. Did I miss something?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Did UPS just raise rates thru the roof?

They (UPS) most certainly did increase their prices right along with FedEx. They are also infamous for unilaterally adding additional surcharges to the shipping cost if you purchase the label through eBay. I don't ship much via UPS or FedEx but when I do I purchase the label(s) off of Pirate Ship and upload the tracking information into the eBay order. 

https://www.pancgroup.com/carrier-rate-increases-ups-fedex-rate-increase/ 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

sorrry, yes, I know, said error when I posted it, so corrected it and it posted twice for some reason, cant see how to delete one

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I saw the reports but rates went up 6.9%, that doesn't add up to a $6 shipping increase. Thats what the increase was just shipping to myself. 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I've been selling vintage rifle stocks for the last 5 years on and off as I need to raise funds.

I didn't sell for a year and then at the end of Dec I put a few up for sale.

I had always been able to ship from PA all the way to CA or WA for under $20, I have always charged $15 because that was enough in most cases to ship to 75% of the country.

My first sale I got a $42 shipping quote to Idaho from UPS.

I ended up using Fed-Ex and it cost about $28.

I've also noticed on every single listing I have to correct the default eBay weight and measurements. Their goofy program thinking a rifle stock weighs 7oz and firs in a 7X4X4" package is a huge hit if I don't catch it.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

That's the shock I just got, shipping went up $6, Fed-ex is cheaper then UPS now. I was barely selling fishing rods at $13, no way is a $10 rod going to sell with $20-$28 in shipping. Its one of the reason I was worried when USPS added a $15 surcharge, now the other shippers jacked their rates.  I lost 60% of my fishing rod sales with the PO surcharge, now I just lost another 30%, even worse I can't buy rod-reel combos and make any money if I can only sell the reel.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

There are postal surcharges based on length.

Anything 30 inches or longer will have a $15.00 surcharge PLUS whatever the shipping fee is. It doesn't matter if priority or parcel.

There are other surcharges.  Perhaps that is why you had to pay more.  Anything over 22" will have a 4.oo surcharge.  Go to www.usps.com to find the surcharges (or maybe someone can post the other ones here.)

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

That's for the USPS, I'm talking about UPS

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

UPDATE:

Guess what, its a ebay glitch. Just sold a rod to NY, buyer paid $14, my zip code $18.56. I changed my zip code to one town over and it showed $12.15. Called ebay and she saw the same price and is writing up a ticket on it. Ugh, I'm getting too old for this stuff lol

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@tsme35 wrote:

UPDATE:

Guess what, its a ebay glitch. Just sold a rod to NY, buyer paid $14, my zip code $18.56. I changed my zip code to one town over and it showed $12.15. Called ebay and she saw the same price and is writing up a ticket on it. Ugh, I'm getting too old for this stuff lol

Writing a Ticket many times means 'I have no idea how to help you so to get you off the phone I will tell you I'm opening a 'Ticket'.

Per their website- Fedex is $27.55 from 92620 to 63050 for a 30" x 6" x 6" 2lb package. UPS is $27.70. 

Give or take a few bucks these will be the numbers. 

Fedex/UPS is famous for charging you more later, through ebay and both those accounts belong to ebay so if you have any issues, insurance claims etc. it's a bear to get anything done, if at all.

USPS almost never comes back later if you input the correct weight and dimensions, and USPS does NOT belong to eBay. 

There is NO TICKET because there is no reason for a ticket. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Sounded like she was writing it up and was pretty nice compared to others I've talked to. Now whether she wrote one up or if anything will done is questionable. The main problem is for some reason my zip code is showing $6 more then it should be.

I've also had 3 underpaid charges by USPS since Oct., 2 oz packages they said weight 9 oz, I ship hundreds of packages a month and I know those were correct.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply