cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers cheat on Free Returns

We all know the vast majority of buyers are honest buyers. However, some buyers are cheaters and don't understand that their dishonest actions will affect other peoples. I was offering Free shipping for $50 or more and Free Return on almost all items. Because from my experience most of my customers were honest and didn't have much issues. However, recently I felt some people are cheating me and taking advantage of my free returns. How? 

For example: Because I was offering free shipping on certain amount, like $50 or $100 order value. Then, because I had Free Returns, so the buyers bought the amount to Free Shipping. Then, keep 1 item and return the rest since it is Free Return. Couple days ago I had one customer from HI, who purchased $150, I shipped them priority mail for $6.35, then, when the buyer received the items, kept one of them and returned the rest. So, I had to buy another return label for 4 lbs. and cost me another $6.56. Therefore, I felt people like her ripping me off and don't realize we the sellers depend on dimes and nickels. We work so hard and spend 10-12 hours a day and invest our time, money and health to work and be able to pay our bills. But, people like that rips us off and treat us like trash. We don't get these things for Free. Plus, the items I sell are handmade and real people make them one by one. Many refugee families in Pakistan/Afghanistan border depend on my small business. I hope eBay looks into this kind of issues 

From Today, I have suspended Free Returns. I cannot afford to keep losing money. 

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Buyers cheat on Free Returns

@sam9876 

Awesome around 1.4 million dollars per year.  What is the name of your store?

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

If your buyers are not returning everything then you issue a partial refund. Take 25% off their refund if they return 3 instead of 4.

If you offer free returns figure out a way to make that work without losing money.

Pay attention you bad buyers out there=you guys will soon force everyone into paying more for their items.

You might *think* it's the seller footing the bill on your return shipping or paying for the free shipping but in the end it's you. Savvy sellers don't sell to lose money. They add the free shipping to the item cost. And if they offer free returns they've already figured out what the average return rate is and they add that to the item cost. If they average 1 in every 20 is returned and the return shipping is $5 they've bumped up the cost of their items by 25 cents to pay for that free return shipping cost.  

Honest buyers keep prices honest.

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

She sells high-end bike parts, and that's a 24-hour post office.

Message 18 of 18
latest reply