cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to deal with "Item not as described" returns that are not valid

I sell mostly mix of new and used industrial spare parts surplus (mostly all single item listings), and I am having issues with high "Item not as described" returns, mostly for "Doesn't work or defective" which is adding a 5 percent fee to all my Business & Industrial listings.  Some of these are valid, but over half are due to user error or not understanding what they are buying (parts meant for 220V used in 110V systems is a common theme).  I also had a listing that was marked as parts only returned as defective? and another item where the item returned was not the part I sent.  I have reported the buyers, but I still have all 12 returns counting against me.  I'm a top rated seller with 100% feedback and I do what I can to help people and its frustrating to be paying a couple hundred extra a month in fees for something that seems to be out of my control because buyers miss-categorized the return.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@m-techdesignfab 

As a Top Rated Seller, you now have protection against false "Item Not as Described" claims, including a modest return shipping credit and protection on your service metrics:

From the 2019 Fall Seller Update:

If you are a Top Rated Seller and a buyer falsely claims an item was “not as described,” we’ll protect you on eligible transactions. If a buyer falsely claims an item was “not as described,” we’ll reimburse your return shipping label cost up to $6 per return. You’ll receive the return shipping label credit on your monthly invoice. We’ll also automatically remove any negative and neutral feedback, defects, and open cases in service metrics.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

As long as you offer free returns, buyers can return items on your dime for any reason or no reason at all.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@m-techdesignfab 

As a Top Rated Seller, you now have protection against false "Item Not as Described" claims, including a modest return shipping credit and protection on your service metrics:

From the 2019 Fall Seller Update:

If you are a Top Rated Seller and a buyer falsely claims an item was “not as described,” we’ll protect you on eligible transactions. If a buyer falsely claims an item was “not as described,” we’ll reimburse your return shipping label cost up to $6 per return. You’ll receive the return shipping label credit on your monthly invoice. We’ll also automatically remove any negative and neutral feedback, defects, and open cases in service metrics.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@orangehound If you are a Top Rated Seller and a buyer falsely claims an item was “not as described,” we’ll protect you on eligible transactions. If a buyer falsely claims an item was “not as described,” we’ll reimburse your return shipping label cost up to $6 per return

Only if you have proof that the seller is lying (a conflicting message from buyer etc.) .. in essence. If all the buyer does is file 'not as described' with no other comment, will be hard to prove it's not a 'not as described', and ebay is not going to 'ask' the buyer 'why they are really returning'. 

To the OP- the great thing is, you are selling items without much competition, apples to apples. Simply raise your price the 5% and that will cover the new 'fees' as there is not much you can do with the type of items you sell. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@corvettestainless wrote:

Only if you have proof that the seller is lying (a conflicting message from buyer etc.) .. in essence. If all the buyer does is file 'not as described' with no other comment, will be hard to prove it's not a 'not as described', and ebay is not going to 'ask' the buyer 'why they are really returning'. 

@corvettestainless 

You are describing the old rules ... the rules changed a few months ago.

Since last Fall, a Top Rated Seller does not need proof.  eBay accepts the word of the TRS when the TRS reports the buyer as abusing the Money Back Guarantee (that is, false INAD/SNAD).  Now ... of course, if a TRS abuses this protection (examples are in the FAQ of the link I posted above), then they will be removed from this benefit, so it is to the benefit of the TRS to be clear about why they are exercising the protection.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@orangehound 

Someone started a thread just a little while ago (1:30 pst), told by CS that they don't have any 'Proof' that the item was not 'as described'. Seller with 11000 feedback. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@corvettestainless wrote:

Someone started a thread just a little while ago (1:30 pst), told by CS that they don't have any 'Proof' that the item was not 'as described'. Seller with 11000 feedback. 

@corvettestainless 

I don't know what thread or post or member you are talking about, but generally speaking:

(1) The seller protection is only available to Top Rated Sellers ... feedback count does not determine Top Rated Seller.  The criteria for Top Rated Seller is here:  Top Rated Seller Program

(2) One does not activate this seller protection by calling customer service.  It is in the return interface, as the seller reports a buyer for being a bad buyer.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply