cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers cheat on Free Returns

We all know the vast majority of buyers are honest buyers. However, some buyers are cheaters and don't understand that their dishonest actions will affect other peoples. I was offering Free shipping for $50 or more and Free Return on almost all items. Because from my experience most of my customers were honest and didn't have much issues. However, recently I felt some people are cheating me and taking advantage of my free returns. How? 

For example: Because I was offering free shipping on certain amount, like $50 or $100 order value. Then, because I had Free Returns, so the buyers bought the amount to Free Shipping. Then, keep 1 item and return the rest since it is Free Return. Couple days ago I had one customer from HI, who purchased $150, I shipped them priority mail for $6.35, then, when the buyer received the items, kept one of them and returned the rest. So, I had to buy another return label for 4 lbs. and cost me another $6.56. Therefore, I felt people like her ripping me off and don't realize we the sellers depend on dimes and nickels. We work so hard and spend 10-12 hours a day and invest our time, money and health to work and be able to pay our bills. But, people like that rips us off and treat us like trash. We don't get these things for Free. Plus, the items I sell are handmade and real people make them one by one. Many refugee families in Pakistan/Afghanistan border depend on my small business. I hope eBay looks into this kind of issues 

From Today, I have suspended Free Returns. I cannot afford to keep losing money. 

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

How is a buyer ripping you off when you are offering free returns?

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

I guess you didn't read the whole post. Buyers are getting 6 items shipped free and returning 4 items keeping 2. Seller has to pay for returned items and is out the shipping and 2 items.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Ummm...

The seller is offering free returns.

If they are losing money, it is on them.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

it looks like you didn't read. They order many items to qualify for Free Shipping because they know there is free return, so they return them back and keep only 1 item. Isn't that a rip off? 

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@sam9876 wrote:

Ummm...

The seller is offering free returns.

If they are losing money, it is on them.

Yes, I was offering Free Return. But, because of Free Return, buyers buy certain amount ( like $100) to qualify for Free Shipping because they know they can just return for Free. So, for them saving on shipping and returning. Therefore, they caculate that and don't care. They just order and a lot to qualify for Free Shipping and since there is Free Return, they'll keep 1 item and return the rest. If they buy 1 item less than 8 oz it will cost them only $3 shipping. But, they don't want to pay the $3 shipping. So, instead they'll order $100 worth of stuff. Keeps the item he/she needs and return the rest. Then, all the cost for shipping and returning goes to seller. Instead of making couple bucks, the sellers lose money because buyers missuse the offers. Thus, I have suspended all Free returns. eBay will remove Top Rated plus from my listings. But, that is fine. The risk the other way is more. I recently I had serveral people doing that. 

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Unfortunately all you can do is stop offering either free returns or stop offering free shipping over a certain amount.  

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

That is what I did. Thank you. 

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@watangems wrote:

That is what I did. Thank you. 

sorry a few bad apples messed up what you were trying to offer buyers.

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Shady eBay buyers and eBay supports them along with PayPal.

eBay and PP should do more on protecting the sellers against that kind of buyers. It is really annoying when you cannot do anything against buyers who are ''legally'' robbing you.

What kind of protection is when you are protected against buyers who claim that they didn't receive purchased item when it is clearly stated delivered when the shipment is tracked. **bleep**!?

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@sam9876 do you sell on ebay?
So ebay has no responsibility anymore to make it a safe place to sell?
So itis ok for ebay to train buyers to exploit the system since it doesn't cost ebay?
What will happen to ebay if all the sellers can only make money by over charging for items to cover selling expense on ebay?
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

I have been selling on eBay since 2000.  My annual sales are around $1.4 million.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

sam do you have free shipping and free returns?

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@sam9876 wrote:

I have been selling on eBay since 2000.  My annual sales are around $1.4 million.

Quite an admirable $ number. You rock, man. 👍

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Sales mean nothing, it's profits that count.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply