cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer didn't read the description, then falsely claimed the item is not as described.

I sold a women's fragrance that had no cap over the spray button.  The buyer didn't look at the title, description, or photos, and she requested a return because the bottle was missing the cap and therefore  "missing parts or pieces."   

I told her that the listing clearly stated that the bottle had no cap but that I would still accept a return, provided that she pay for the return shipping label.  I also said that  original shipping is nonrefundable.  

I thought I was being perfectly fair, since that's how a remorse return works on eBay and there was irrefutable evidence on my side to prove that the bottle with no cap was EXACTLY as described and not missing any advertised components.  She simply hadn't been paying attention when she bought it.

Since the return request page had no way for me to authorize a remorse return but also bill the shipping label to the buyer, I asked for help in an eBay customer service chat.  I told the rep that I was afraid to push the button that would authorize the return because I was afraid the shipping label would be billed to me automatically.  She said all I could do was try to communicate with the buyer some more.  

The buyer insisted on a full refund, including full reimbursement for original shipping and return shipping, and then she escalated the return request for review. Minutes later, eBay found in her favor.   Then I was billed for the return shipping label and also given a defect on my account.  

I have appealed the decision, but nobody at eBay will reverse the decision.  I even asked eBay if the buyer's request to have eBay "step in"  was reviewed by a real person or by a bot, since any human looking at the facts could obviously see that this was a case of buyer's remorse, not "item not as described."  

Customer service didn't answer my question about a bot or a human did the initial review.  And they continue to stand by their decision to give me a defect and make me pay for original shipping and return shipping.  

I am extremely upset.  If I were in the buyer's shoes and I bought something by mistake, I wouldn't dream of making the seller responsible for paying for all shipping charges! I'd take responsibility for the mistake and pay for the shipping myself.  And I'm upset because the facts of the situation are being completely ignored by the very people who are supposed to be moderating disputes.

The return package should be arriving today.  Has anybody successfully appealed a similar situation and won???  If so, do you have any advice for me?  

I do not want to offer free 30-day returns, so please don't make that suggestion.  I have looked into it before, and it won't work for my business.  

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Buyer didn't read the description, then falsely claimed the item is not as described.

Yours, and other sellers of this buyer after you, best defense against these type  buyers is that report button. If you dont make an official report of this buyer, youre allowing them not continue with these practices. There is a report buyer link on the right of your feedback page...use it!  

Seriously. Use that report feature so Ebay will have official documentation on that buyer so it will add to the count should this happen again ....and it very well will happen again. Each seller who does not report these instances are only causing grief in an indirect way for the next seller.....and themselves

All Ebay needs is for these reports to come in so they can act. Otherwise, they have no need to act 

Judge not others by your own limitations
Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Re: Buyer didn't read the description, then falsely claimed the item is not as described.

Thank you, I did report the buyer. And I'm blocking her too.
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

@georgestobbard wrote:
Thank you, I did report the buyer. And I'm blocking her too.

Yes! good! Blocking is also important. You have just contributed to taking that buyer one step closer to consequences by reporting them

Judge not others by your own limitations
Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Its extremely rare for a seller to win an appeal, but you may have a chance since you put the 'no cap' in the title,and  in the description, of the listing,Ebay doesnt look at the photos much in a dispute,but Id say go for it..good luck!

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 5 of 25
latest reply

sorry I see you appealed and lost..very unfair..its rare for a seller to win on appeal.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Thank you. After I open the package and make sure the item still in its original condition, I will definitely write back to customer service and see if anybody will remove the defect from my account or at least pay me back for all shipping costs.   

I suppose I could have avoided the defect on my account by giving in to the buyer's demands, but I really thought that eBay would treat this as buyer's remorse after reviewing the facts.  

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Absolutely..worth a try...a shame when this case was closed in the buyers favor. And Im sure reporting a buyer that won a case is a waste of time. Not that I think Ebay pays any attention to buyer reports anyway. I wish you good luck.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

@georgestobbard wrote:

I suppose I could have avoided the defect on my account by giving in to the buyer's demands, but I really thought that eBay would treat this as buyer's remorse after reviewing the facts.  

They used to, but not anymore.

Now it doesn't matter what the buyer says, once they click the INAD button, that's all Ebay see's.

Have a great day
Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Sorry this is happening to you. Your buyer should take ownership for her own mistakes and not try to force you to pay for her mistakes. If I were her, I wouldn't have even asked to return it because I would own my own error. You were more than fair. Your buyer is in the wrong and is behaving like a brat. 

I have won every appeal I have ever filed...and I'm not talking about appeals in eBay days of yore either.  (I realize I am an anomaly.) However, I usually do so over the phone. If I were you, I would contact eBay via twitter or facebook to request someone (an actual human:)) to look into removing the defect, refunding your selling fees and reimbursing you for shipping. I believe you will be victorious and that fragrance will sell again quickly to an honest, reasonable person. 

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

It is how the seller describes an item in the CONDITION field of their listing that counts - if you put NEW  or USED.  The item must be like you bought it a retail store & fully functional and operational.  What a seller describes in the Item Specifics description box doesn't mean too much unless your were selling it a non working item or parts

eBay Policy for: Health & Beauty

• New: The brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item is in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item is handmade or was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller’s listing for full details.
  • Open box: The item is in excellent, new condition with no wear. The item may be missing the original packaging or protective wrapping, or may be in the original packaging but not sealed. The item includes original accessories. The item may be a factory second. See the seller’s listing for full details and a description.
  • Used: The item has been previously used. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but it is fully operational and functions as intended. The item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller’s listing for full details and a description of any imperfections.
  • For parts or not working: The item does not function as intended and is not fully operational. This includes items that are defective in ways that render them difficult to use, items that require service or repair, or items missing essential components. See the seller’s listing for full details.

Here is the entire  eBay condition description for all  item categories:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/item-conditions-category?id=47...

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Thank you so much. I like the idea of speaking to someone over the phone.

I remember the last time I had a big problem, I resorted to using the phone, and it helped.
Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Thank you. It was correctly listed as a used or preowned type of item.
Message 13 of 25
latest reply

I am still hoping that if I speak to one sympathetic eBay rep who will apply fairness and logic to the situation, that I can get this resolved.
Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Many answers here are to use the phone and call but there is no phone support currently at a time when there are more problems with shipping and new buyers! This is the problem-no support! I see Facebook mentioned for support but there are many Ebay groups and none appear to me to be Ebay support.  Which Ebay group do you get support from? Is it Q & A support? I don't see it. Thanks

Message 15 of 25
latest reply