cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer blames us for package disappearing from porch after Post Office delivered.

This buyer also will not go to his delivering Post Office and file trace nor ask his neighbors. We are afraid this will esculate to negative feedback  because he wants us to refund in full or replace for free?

Any suggestions to smooth feathers or have eBay step in?

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer blames us for package disappearing from porch after Post Office delivered.

Delivery confirmation?

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Buyer blames us for package disappearing from porch after Post Office delivered.

Delivery confirmation?
Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Tell the buyer that you are sorry about the theft but unfortunately neither the seller nor ebay can help you once there is delivery confirmation.   He can file a police report, check with neighbors and housemates, the postal carrier or take the tracking number to the PO to get confirmation as to who delivered and where.

If buyer leaves you neg FB, you should be able to call CS and get it removed.

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Hello fellow ebay seller, I had a similar experience over the summer where a customer claimed they did not receive there package even though it was delivered on there front porch according to the shipping details. As long as you sent them tracking information with the package you have nothing to worry about. You have seller protection as long as you provide tracking info. I just explained to the buyer that I did my job and sent the package and provided tracking information. If they don't want to try to locate the package that is there problem and not yours. Let them know also that UPS AND USPS provides a 30 day refund that they ghts.can claim on there designated websites. It sounds like there trying to scam you, do not let this happen, you have seller rights.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Also you do not have to replace anything for free until they have sent the item back to you. I would work with the buyer first, but if they are not cooperating to resolve problem then just report the buyer to paypal resolution center.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

@classiccargoodies wrote:

This buyer also will not go to his delivering Post Office and file trace nor ask his neighbors. We are afraid this will esculate to negative feedback  because he wants us to refund in full or replace for free?

Any suggestions to smooth feathers or have eBay step in?

Tell him to go to his local USPS post office and ask for the postal carrier's scan device, which has built in GPS, to show where his pkg was delivered.

Once you give him this advice, end all communication. Wait to see what he does and take it from there.

If he leaves negative fdbk related to this, ebay will remove it.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

No refund, your buyer needs to deal with USPS

Buyer can telephone the free 1 800 USPS telephone number and complain.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

This happened to me too recently. The buyer got the email from ebay saying it had been delivered. Not having the package in hand and not bothering to check their mail box they negged me immediately. They shorly after sent a "sorry, all good" message but refused to change their feedback. I asked nicely and professionally but this brand new buyer said "that's my right". Nothing had gone wrong!

A call to CS made it go poof, have the tracking number available. Delivery confirmation is the ONLY seller protection I can think of now, besides the block list which only does so much, and only with auctions, so... be sure to block them as well. 

Sorry this happened. Good luck~

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

All the answers above.

Just thought I would point out it is that time of the year for package snatchers (added on top of the every day ebay buyer claims) so plan accordingly on your shipments.

Cheers

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Here are some suggestions ( tongue in cheek whilst typing them ) 

1. Pay for either tracking or delivery confirmation or priority mail

2. Rent a post office box simply for ebay items or packages received.

3. Stay at home everyday wating for the mail carrier and dont go to work.

4. Book an air ticket to the sellers town and meet up with them to

collect it personally at a neutral place like a McDonalds etc to

pick up the pkg and then fly back home. Make sure buyer has a

printout of the auction and invoice for proof he/she is the correct seller.

5. Once the invoice is signed, when the seller gets back home, scan it and

send to the buyer via ebay messages so ebay has it on trecord.

6. Notify post office to hold all mail  for personal pickup from now on.

7. Add a padlock to a mailbox

8.  Build a cage attached to a fixture of the home and leave it open for

the postal carrier to snap shut after packages are delivered.

Nobody can steal them then.

9 Have the items sent by carrier or UPS instead of USPS.

Please remember once the seller has shipped the package, there is

no control over anything unless tracking, del confirmation, registration

etc is included...If buyers dont want to pay for these services , then the

sellers are not at fault.....Me personally i would insist on clause # 4 above

as then the seller will have a signature on the ebay invoice and they are

in the clear.

have a nice day everyone...OIO

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

If you have tracking tell them to open an INR.

Call and have it closed.

Now they can't leave feedback.

Explain to them again what they need to do. They will either do it or they won't and it matters little to you.

BBL.

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

This is the best response EVER.
Message 12 of 24
latest reply

@monster-deals wrote:

If you have tracking tell them to open an INR.

Call and have it closed.

Now they can't leave feedback.

Explain to them again what they need to do. They will either do it or they won't and it matters little to you.

BBL.

An interesting idea, but remember this will then count in your Service Metrics.  Not a problem if an INR is a rare thing for a seller, not a good idea if you get a few a year.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 13 of 24
latest reply

You might also suggest to your buyer that they invest in a Ring.com device. It's their responsibility to have a secure location to have their mail delivered to.

OZ,

I really hope this is tongue in cheek because I would never opt for #9:

9 Have the items sent by carrier or UPS instead of USPS.

FedEx hangs my packages from the mailbox.  Even the ones requiring signature.  (signature on file from the previous homeowner and FedEx won't change it)

UPS doesn't do front door delivery, but hides the packages and wraps in plastic if it's raining.

I will say this for UPS.  I was at an estate/moving sale on Friday.  UPS driver had a delivery, no signature required.  Instead of just dropping it off, he brought it inside and gave it to a sale staff member.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply