cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Requested a Refund

I sold a newly sealed item and it was clearly mentioned in my listing (bolded and underlined) that you would not be receiving an authentic item and you could not register the item.  The buyer either had buyer's remorse or did not fully read the listing prior to purchasing.  I send the item once payment cleared and thought I was done.  Buyer requests a refund days later stating item was fake to which I reply with a screenshot of the listing.  I do not hear from the buyer  and I call ebay which I'm told that I should be in the clear because I was transparent on my listing.  A few days later the buyer opens a case, hence placing a hold on my money in PayPal.  I receive an e-mail a few days later that ebay ruled in their favor to which I call ebay and I'm given the runaround on an answer.  From what I gathered they instructed the buyer to send the item back (despite me not accepting refunds nor having a say in this matter).  The rep said I need to verify the buyer's claims to which I said multiple times I don't need to because if you look at my listing I know it's not authentic so why am I verifying that?  I do not receive a clear answer.  So my questions are, how likely am is it going to be ruled in my favor since I was transparent in my listing and if ruled in my favor, what are they going to do about the money because if I have the product (which I never authorized a return) then how does that work out for me and the buyer?

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Buyer Requested a Refund

Easy, I have been sold items several times since I joined back in the early 2000s and never once thought anything of it other than one item that was clearly a knock off and the seller presented it as authentic.  Then if I have spoken to ebay and the reps never once mentioned to me that I was in violation, then why would I think that I was especially being that I was transparent on my listings?  I do get now that as a seller I should have read all the policies myself, but I didn't and again no rep told me otherwise either.

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

@jrb822 wrote:

No I don't watch much TV so I wouldn't have known about raids and the only thing that is on the news right now is the Guyger trial.  They would waste resources coming to my house as the only thing they would have found was the two that someone so "kindly" reported and have had removed already.

Oooo...

Sorry to hear that eBay was involved in this.  I kinda wished that you would have had the opportunity to correct these things yourself.  Hopefully your selling rights will not be restricted as it is your first offense. 

All of the comments on this post are correct.  No one here is out of line and in the justice system...ignorance is no excuse for criminal acts.

Just be careful going forward.

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

The fact that people took the time to go through my listings is ridiculous.  Then less than 5 minutes of me posting a question, my items are reported.  So I did not get the option to take them down on my own.  I didn't come here to be ostracized, but helped (silly me people are far braver behind a screen).   Again this was my first time dealing with something like this as I am not a heavy seller on ebay (hence I'm not current on all ebay rules) and before this incident my feedback as a seller was 100%.  I'll probably return to buying and selling elsewhere it was less hassle and I didn't have all these fees.

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

Thanks I just had someone explain that to me.  Again I was never trying to get over on someone hence the transparency in my listing and on this forum.

But FYI for some of you, I don't have a garage full of them so the only two that I had listed are no longer for sale thanks to one of the lovely people on here (I would have removed them myself if given more than 5 minutes to do so geesh).

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

Correction the title was "Beats-Like"  But you have said more than enough it is a violation.  They are no longer listed so how many times are you going to keep posting the same thing said differently?

Message 20 of 31
latest reply

"ignorance is no excuse for criminal acts."

Technically since everyone is hinting at that I have committed federal crimes (not disputing this since I have not taken the time to look up the laws myself now and/or prior to posting), however to convict you would need to prove the person knowingly committed a crime beyond a reasonable doubt. Thus unless the person makes the dumbest criminal list, you can't assume that one would 1. Post a listing knowing that a lot of their personal info is linked to the account. 2. Even speak to the representatives of the site on several occasions regarding said matter of this sell (why call if you knowingly committed a crime) and 3. Go on this community forum seeking help when they knowingly committed a crime. I'm not here to argue with you fyi, I was just really addressing the comment of yours I've placed in quotes.
Message 21 of 31
latest reply

While I understand you want to keep blaming Ebay, sometimes its just better if we take the responsibility for our own actions.Hopefully, you can move forward from this...

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 22 of 31
latest reply

@jrb822 wrote:

So my questions are, how likely am is it going to be ruled in my favor since I was transparent in my listing and if ruled in my favor, what are they going to do about the money because if I have the product (which I never authorized a return) then how does that work out for me and the buyer?

You can't sell fake items.

Buyer will get their money back.

Have a great day.
Message 23 of 31
latest reply

@jrb822 wrote:

Thanks I just had someone explain that to me.  Again I was never trying to get over on someone hence the transparency in my listing and on this forum.

But FYI for some of you, I don't have a garage full of them so the only two that I had listed are no longer for sale thanks to one of the lovely people on here (I would have removed them myself if given more than 5 minutes to do so geesh).

It could be possible that it was a result of a report from someone reading here, but very possibly not.  Can not say that I have ever heard of action that prompt from eBay on such.

We read more about instances where eBay does not remove listings that violate policy even weeks after reporting.

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

@jrb822 wrote:
"ignorance is no excuse for criminal acts."

Technically since everyone is hinting at that I have committed federal crimes (not disputing this since I have not taken the time to look up the laws myself now and/or prior to posting), however to convict you would need to prove the person knowingly committed a crime beyond a reasonable doubt. Thus unless the person makes the dumbest criminal list, you can't assume that one would 1. Post a listing knowing that a lot of their personal info is linked to the account. 2. Even speak to the representatives of the site on several occasions regarding said matter of this sell (why call if you knowingly committed a crime) and 3. Go on this community forum seeking help when they knowingly committed a crime. I'm not here to argue with you fyi, I was just really addressing the comment of yours I've placed in quotes.

Have you ever heard the term, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse?"

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 25 of 31
latest reply

@jrb822 wrote:

Correction the title was "Beats-Like"  But you have said more than enough it is a violation.  They are no longer listed so how many times are you going to keep posting the same thing said differently?

You do know we can see your closed listings? I find it hard to believe that you didn't know you were doing something wrong, when you took photos of an actual Beats box, and then proceeded in your description to say they were beats like. Taking a photo of the actual Beats box was dishonest at best, and IMHO it was blatantly fraudulent. You hoped that a buyer would buy based solely on photo and you'd get away with it.

You only said "Beats like" ONE of your dishonest listings. Incidentally, using "Beats like" when they aren't Beats is keyword spamming and also against the rules.

As for people reporting your listings, it seems to me that those are reported the listings were far more honest than the person selling it.

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

You sold a counterfeit item. Illegal. And you seriously thought you were exempt from the law?
Message 27 of 31
latest reply

You’re being downright creepy at this point. I took pictures of the boxes that the items came in. Not once did you ask where my items came from or if I took pictures of an actual beats box (which no I didn’t). Again I didn’t close the headphone listing they were reported. As for my other listings I did close them because they sold elsewhere where there wasn’t all this hoopla. Again how many times are you going to be creepy AND repeat the same thing in a different way?

I could careless what you or anyone on here wants to believe because unlike you must think, I’m not on trial and thank goodness you’re not my jury. I came asking a question and that’s all. The matter has been resolved so move along. 

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

@jrb822 wrote:

You’re being downright creepy at this point. I took pictures of the boxes that the items came in. Not once did you ask where my items came from or if I took pictures of an actual beats box (which no I didn’t). Again I didn’t close the headphone listing they were reported. As for my other listings I did close them because they sold elsewhere where there wasn’t all this hoopla. Again how many times are you going to be creepy AND repeat the same thing in a different way?

I could careless what you or anyone on here wants to believe because unlike you must think, I’m not on trial and thank goodness you’re not my jury. I came asking a question and that’s all. The matter has been resolved so move along. 

Utter lack of responsibility. You can't admit you sold counterfeits. It doesn't matter where you got them.

As for being creepy, I looked up PUBLIC INFORMATION. 

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

Hello everyone,

This thread is getting a bit heated.  Please remember that it’s fine to disagree with others, but discussion should always remain courteous and respectful.

Thank you for your cooperation.​​​​​​​

Message 30 of 31
latest reply