cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After 19 Years of Selling on eBay I Can No Longer Accept Returns

Thanks to eBay's new streamlined return policy making fraud as easy as clicking a button, I'm done with returns because buyers changed their mind or decided they didn't need the item they purchased.  

I've been selling used auto parts for Land Rovers for years on eBay, starting way back in the spring of 1999.  I've been a top rated seller since the program was started.  My feedback hasn't ever been below 99.6 (typically it's between 99.8 and 100%) with almost 20,000 transactions under my belt.  But, sadly, I have been plagued lately with buyers who have fraudulently returned items.   To put it bluntly, they've taken the parts I shipped them, installed those working parts, opened up a return request (ranging from "changed my mind" to "defective") and sent back their broken parts.  Sometimes, they don't even bother to safely package the parts!

One example that is particularly egregious was an item that had been painted with an identifying mark before it was shipped in an effort to insure that, should there be a return, I would be able to confirm that the part was, in fact mine.  The buyer claimed the part was defective and sent it back.  The part did not have the paint marking that had been put on it before I shipped it.  Essentially, the buyer installed my part and returned their broken part for a full refund included shipping both ways.

Another was where the buyer purchased a part, the kind of part that, if it's broken, your vehicle is not running.  They got the part and within a few days opened a request for a return because they had "changed their mind."  I find it curious, if your truck isn't running and you order a part to fix it, why, after receiving the part would you suddenly "change your mind."  Well, I test all the electrical parts I ship out right before I put them in the box.  This particular part was a solenoid so it was really easy to test with 12 volts.  

On Monday I got back a box that had a part banging around in it like a child's rattle.  It was the part the buyer had changed their mind over.  No packing, no protection, even the box was closed using silver duct tape!  Are you at all surprised that the part didn't have my usual enamel marking on it.  Would you be surprised to learn the part failed the simple 12 volt test.  Would it be reasonable to suspect that the buyer took my working part, installed it on his vehicle, got it running and used it to bring his broken part in the box with no packing to the post office to return for a full refund?

The third return involved another electrical part that is essential for a vehicle to run.  The buyer bought it and before he even received it requested a return claiming they "no longer needed it."  The part was a genuine Bosch part with Bosch markings all over it.  What did I get back in the return?  It was a cheap knock off from China with no markings on it at all.  I'd never even seen one so poorly made before.  Do you think the buyer might have thought he was saving a ton of money by purchasing a cheap Chinese part (probably for less than the cost of shipping my genuine Bosch part) only to find that those parts have a high failure rate.  So, to solve his problem he bought the genuine part from me, installed it, got his vehicle running and drove it to the post office where he mailed off the Chinese knock off for a full refund.

In just three transactions I've lost my Top Rated Seller Discount for two months.  Does eBay care? Of course they don't.  They would rather believe a buyer who's been on the site for six months with a dozen feedbacks (all positive because a seller can't even hint at malfeasace when leaving feedback) than a seller for 19 years with almost 20,000 positive feedback ratings.

The treatment sellers receive on this site gets more and more insulting every day.  So from here on out, no more easy returns for this seller.  I'm done being the welcome mat for every perpetrator of fraud eBay seems to court on their "platform."

Message 1 of 131
latest reply
130 REPLIES 130

Re: After 19 Years of Selling on eBay I Can No Longer Accept Returns

Ebay opened the door for other platforms, explore them, this platform is dying, do not die with it, sell here, but diversify..
Message 91 of 131
latest reply

They do not care if we complain. If they did, thungs would be gettung better, or some changes would taje place. They can only entice sellers to list more by offering free listings, they realize that sellers are giving up, but they rather throw free listings than fix the problems.
Message 92 of 131
latest reply

No, biggest problem is buyers kniwung they can lie and extort. As a good seller, the fraud I deal with has nothing to do with bad sellers. Just buyers gaming the system be ause they can.
Message 93 of 131
latest reply

Ebayby dafault forces free returns through encouragement of abuse of NAD .. buyers are not stupid, they know they do nkt need to provide any proof as to heir grievance, and the seller can have so much documentation, but even videotaping hand delivering an item to a buyer eouod not be enough for ebay to side with a seller.. so free returns are happening by coercion. I still do not offer, but ebay offers them for me.
Message 94 of 131
latest reply

Fedex..I had an issue with redirects on another site, they refunded meand instructed fedex not to allow. I have 2 buyers recently claim they used wrong name and address in both ebay and paypal.. so much for fraud control.
Message 95 of 131
latest reply

not sell?
Message 96 of 131
latest reply

Sorry..was on a for ed hiatus and also had surgery. Message me and I will reply.Thx!
Message 97 of 131
latest reply

IMO, being a me too, and not the sexually exploited type, is not good business, it is lack of innovation.
Message 98 of 131
latest reply

Fair? I gave up..
Message 99 of 131
latest reply

They can only rob Peter to pay Paul for so long...
Message 100 of 131
latest reply

Nothing like ebay offering free returns on one’s behalf to drive them away or into retirement. But, again, they could care less.
Message 101 of 131
latest reply

platform...think it is too late to type 😉
Message 102 of 131
latest reply

yup..coercion, feels great
Message 103 of 131
latest reply

I sell a few things each year and just listed an iPhone and couldn't even find an option to list it as returnable.  I wish they wouldn't constantly change the selling pages.

Message 104 of 131
latest reply

Yes this happened to me also I’m new selling on eBay even though I have no returns on my auctions the buyer went threw pay pal to get a refund and we’re able to keep my merchandise I have been very sick for the last couple of months so they said they tried t email  me but I did not respond  why could you  not called  will at the end of the day I’m out of 100.00 dollars so when I get a chance I’m done with Ebay and Paypal (sell on real re or FASHIONPHILE)

Message 105 of 131
latest reply