cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After 19 Years of Selling on eBay I Can No Longer Accept Returns

Thanks to eBay's new streamlined return policy making fraud as easy as clicking a button, I'm done with returns because buyers changed their mind or decided they didn't need the item they purchased.  

I've been selling used auto parts for Land Rovers for years on eBay, starting way back in the spring of 1999.  I've been a top rated seller since the program was started.  My feedback hasn't ever been below 99.6 (typically it's between 99.8 and 100%) with almost 20,000 transactions under my belt.  But, sadly, I have been plagued lately with buyers who have fraudulently returned items.   To put it bluntly, they've taken the parts I shipped them, installed those working parts, opened up a return request (ranging from "changed my mind" to "defective") and sent back their broken parts.  Sometimes, they don't even bother to safely package the parts!

One example that is particularly egregious was an item that had been painted with an identifying mark before it was shipped in an effort to insure that, should there be a return, I would be able to confirm that the part was, in fact mine.  The buyer claimed the part was defective and sent it back.  The part did not have the paint marking that had been put on it before I shipped it.  Essentially, the buyer installed my part and returned their broken part for a full refund included shipping both ways.

Another was where the buyer purchased a part, the kind of part that, if it's broken, your vehicle is not running.  They got the part and within a few days opened a request for a return because they had "changed their mind."  I find it curious, if your truck isn't running and you order a part to fix it, why, after receiving the part would you suddenly "change your mind."  Well, I test all the electrical parts I ship out right before I put them in the box.  This particular part was a solenoid so it was really easy to test with 12 volts.  

On Monday I got back a box that had a part banging around in it like a child's rattle.  It was the part the buyer had changed their mind over.  No packing, no protection, even the box was closed using silver duct tape!  Are you at all surprised that the part didn't have my usual enamel marking on it.  Would you be surprised to learn the part failed the simple 12 volt test.  Would it be reasonable to suspect that the buyer took my working part, installed it on his vehicle, got it running and used it to bring his broken part in the box with no packing to the post office to return for a full refund?

The third return involved another electrical part that is essential for a vehicle to run.  The buyer bought it and before he even received it requested a return claiming they "no longer needed it."  The part was a genuine Bosch part with Bosch markings all over it.  What did I get back in the return?  It was a cheap knock off from China with no markings on it at all.  I'd never even seen one so poorly made before.  Do you think the buyer might have thought he was saving a ton of money by purchasing a cheap Chinese part (probably for less than the cost of shipping my genuine Bosch part) only to find that those parts have a high failure rate.  So, to solve his problem he bought the genuine part from me, installed it, got his vehicle running and drove it to the post office where he mailed off the Chinese knock off for a full refund.

In just three transactions I've lost my Top Rated Seller Discount for two months.  Does eBay care? Of course they don't.  They would rather believe a buyer who's been on the site for six months with a dozen feedbacks (all positive because a seller can't even hint at malfeasace when leaving feedback) than a seller for 19 years with almost 20,000 positive feedback ratings.

The treatment sellers receive on this site gets more and more insulting every day.  So from here on out, no more easy returns for this seller.  I'm done being the welcome mat for every perpetrator of fraud eBay seems to court on their "platform."

Message 1 of 131
latest reply
130 REPLIES 130

Re: After 19 Years of Selling on eBay I Can No Longer Accept Returns

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been burned wth "Not as Described " several times lately. Never had someone send back what what was not delivered. In all cases it was as described. Clothing is pretty bad for this one.

Bottom line your prices need to rise to meet what the percentage you lose is. It will happen to us all and we all need to suck it up and make the price inlcude the percentage we lose. Good customers pay for bad customeers. It's always been that way. Brick and mortar stores get shop lifters or emplotyeee theft. On line is so detached that it will be a problem. In the old days eBay buyers were more experienced and genrally better behaved. Now, any fool can jump in and play video games on ebay. Not accepting returns isn't much of a solution either. The 30 days return is pretty much on your sale no matter what.

Message 16 of 131
latest reply

I agree with you 100%. I too have had more and more problems with buyers lying on returns and ebay's customer service has become some of the worst in the business. They simply don't care how hard I have worked for years and all the positive feedback received from honest buyers. They always side with the buyers even before I can respond in some cases. I used to love ebay and raved about it to everyone. Luckily there is beginning to be many more selling platforms other than ebay. It is too bad they are choosing to screw there longtime sellers for a quick buck. I truly sympathize with your losses.
Message 17 of 131
latest reply

19 years? I've been a seller for less than 19 days on eBay and I'm ready to quite eBay entirely. I have two expensive professional camera gear packages for sale on eBay. One is pro level studio camera and lenses, the other a pro level DSLR package. With the DSLR I received several spoof buyer messages asking me to send the gear before receiving payment, and one who  “purchased” the gear through the system,  but instead of making a payment through PayPal, sent me fake PayPal receipts with a Gmail return address. So no sale, the buyer has been removed from Ebay and by eBay’s rules I can’t relist my “sold” item for another month. So, here I sit with the item not listed and no recourse.

I had a buyer for my studio camera gear, upon receipt the buyer claimed the items are not as described. One view finder has no light meter and in the ad description of that particular item I stated “no light meter”. He has totally ignored that fact and even though the ad is still online and I’ve copied and pasted the “no light meter” line from the description in my responses to him, he claims I didn’t mention that it had “no light meter”.  I told him to return the gear, and he immediately suggested a discount for the gear.  He then had the audacity to tell me he would give me a good seller rating if I gave him the discount.  I considered the cost of shipping round trip ($88.00 us) and agreed to his request for a discount. He demanded the discount be sent to him before his initial payment through PayPal cleared my bank. In case the messages are being monitored now or future, he sends me messages through eBay with falsehoods and exaggerations in his favor, and tells me how eBay will honor him over me because he has numerous eBay accounts. Makes me wonder how many other sellers are getting held up for discounts by this guy.  With each message he alludes to damage to my seller rating and tells me if I don't send him the discount, eBay will make a refund of his money through my bank account and he doesn't have to return the gear to me. I feel my camera gear is being held hostage by Ebay’s rules which are designed to make quick sales, allow easy returns for scammers, and profit for eBay regardless of the cost and anxiety to the seller. Two ads… numerous spoofed responses on one with the ad now offline, and the other ad gained me a major headache dealing with this guy.

Message 18 of 131
latest reply

@barry_brum_01 wrote:

19 years? I've been a seller for less than 19 days on eBay and I'm ready to quite eBay entirely. I have two expensive professional camera gear packages for sale on eBay.

New sellers of high value electronic gear are primary targets of thieves and scammers.   Unless you have experience or a mentor/coach/training, you can easily fall victim to their techniques.

Why?  Many of eBay's policies do not follow common sense or logic, and a seller can easily get snared by those policies ... thieves know the policies and how to navigate them to their advantage ... new sellers typically do not, and end up getting robbed.

And, what's worse, even if a seller knows everything there is to know, there is one eBay policy loophole in the Money Back Guarantee program that a theif can use to steal that item ... and, there is nothing the seller can do about it.   Though eBay knows of this loophole, they refuse to address the loophole.

Until they fix that loophole, I'm not selling anything over $200 on this site.

Message 19 of 131
latest reply

I hope you reported him. Call CS and have them read his messages to you. I quit selling on eBay in 2014, as I could see how it was heading, but unless things have REALLY changed, they don't allow blackmail.

FWIW, I thank G-d every day that I'm no longer a seller on here. Seeing the BIG BLUE BUTTON in my Purchased Items changed over a year ago from "Leave Feedback", to "Return This Item", is enough for me to pity eBay sellers. In nearly 20 years on eBay, I've never returned an item or demanded anything from a seller, no matter how bad the experience. Now, eBay is literally encouraging buyers to return items, honestly or fraudulently. It's a racket. eBay always wins, the seller loses.
Message 20 of 131
latest reply

Yeah, I've lost a few hours’ sleep over these issues.  I’m retired with a little savings to live on and depend on my sales for income.  I have extensive sales background as a pro photographer for 35 years, but have never before seen such unethical business practices as I have since selling on eBay.  Maybe it’s a sign of the times, in where lying and stealing are becoming the norm, or maybe it’s due to eBay’s lack of protection for sellers built into its system. The rules should be designed to protect the sellers; returns and refunds allowed only if the product is damaged or greatly different than the ad description.  No one should be allowed to return an item simply because they “changed their mind” or “decided they didn’t want it after all”. eBay may soon find that without sellers, they have no buyers, and without buyers they will have no profits.

Message 21 of 131
latest reply

I accept returns with the buyer paying shipping both ways, unless its an INAD. I stopped offering free shipping because buyers have nothing to lose if they gor it mailed free. This way they have "skin in the game" so to speak.
Message 22 of 131
latest reply

Good point, although where items are the same, factory built etc. I tend to buy from sellers with the lowest price plus they include free shipping. Many purchases online are just spontaneous,  " I want it now! Click!" it's on the way. I guess different rules apply when we are shoppers versus sellers.

Message 23 of 131
latest reply

I HEAR YOU!  BEING FORCED TO ACCEPT AUTOMATIC RETURNS IS BAD ENOUGH BUT NOW WE ARE EXPECTED TO BE LIKE NORDSTROM STORES--FREE SHIPPING AND FREE RETURNS.  I HAVE A SMALL STORE AND OFTEN SELL ITEMS FOR WHAT I PAID FOR THEM, OR LESS, AND I GIVE FREE SHIPPING--HOW CAN I POSSIBLY GIVE FREE RETURN SHIPPING?  THIS IS SELLER-ABUSE COMING FROM EBAY.  WE SELLERS NEED TO SPEAK OUT.

Message 24 of 131
latest reply

I am in the same boat. But since 2009. I do not want to but I am closing my account in june as soon as they allow the new store / basic store / monthly subscription take effect. When they do I have a monthly subscription. I will cancel it then close my account. The only reason I will be waiting is so that I don't have to pay eBay any more than I have to. The no return thing is a joke. All they have to do is open a not as described and eBay automatically sides with them. Even if it is buyers remorse. They have already started doing it. Would you walk into into a pit Bulls pen to see wheather or not he is going to bite you. You already know the outcome of that. Just as you should know what happens when eBay rolls out its new policy on June 1st.

Message 25 of 131
latest reply

We are speaking out, they read these posts.
Message 26 of 131
latest reply

I agree EBAY does not protect buyers but  I write off fraud at end of year and still see my bottom line grow I dont use 30 day return only 14 days and as soon as I get a return request I email buyer and either reduce price or  make them pay to ship it back. I would not use there new auto return 30 day guarantee 

policy for just that reason I call ebay and block buyer  who steal from me and have case opened on them  if they leave neg feedback  ebay always removes it . I dont expect ebay to protect me from thiefs.

I think they should stop asking buyers to lower prices with out offering something in return like lowering there fees But its still cheaper than having a brick and motar store where thiefs come threw door.

Message 27 of 131
latest reply

I have been selling on eBay for 15 years.  I fill your pain.  I used to Love, Love eBay.  I guess we have a different kind of buyers now.  As you know with eBay it has always been about the buyers.  Without good sellers, they can just hang it up.  I think Internatinal sellers get away with more since it seems they are under different rules.  

Message 28 of 131
latest reply

Are we able to block certain sellers?  

Message 29 of 131
latest reply

So I'm not alone after all.  I've had several horrible experiences with the return policy and when talking with Ebay, I felt as if I was talking to def ears.  We sell old Corvette parts which are had to fine to say the least.  I had a guy send me a note the motors I sent him didn;t work after he bench tested them.  In the listing it says (no need to bench test as they are checked before shipping and guaranteed to work.  I asked how did you hook them up for testing which he replied with a dead short and I told him he did it wrong.  His reply, I don't care, they don't work and I'm opening up a case which he did.  I explained to Ebay what he did and they (Ebay) said its the price of doing business on Ebay and I had to take back the 800.00 motors.  I also had a guy purchase NOS rear bumpers for 775.00 and he called me and asked if I had any others.  I asked why would you need anything as the ones you have are perfect.  He told me he dropped one of them out of the box and its scratched up.  He opened a case and Ebay made me return the bumpers.  I can go on and on with other cases but it just upsets me.  I was going to go to the Ebay event in Vegas in a few months as I'll be in town the week before but why bother, they don't do anything anyhow.  I'm building my own webpage as I feel its my only solution.

Message 30 of 131
latest reply