cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Brief Rant About Shipping Liquids

Warning: Shipping rant to some of my sellers.

I've just gotten the forth package with the contents rendered unusable. Why? Because they contained liquids and were shipped in an envelope! This isn't just new sellers either. (One seller has over 8000 feedback.) And one seller who did use a box shipped four items crammed together with no padding. Is this how you would like to get your items sent to you?

Why aren't you at least securing the tops and sprayers so they won't go off in transit? You might have been able to get away with it when the sorting facilities weren't over burdened by the sudden rise in online sales. But now? It's a wonder no one has gotten a warning from USPS about their packing techniques, and an even bigger wonder that they will still deliver items to me.

When shipping liquids PLEASE be sure the tops are secure. Please use lots of padding because those mail sorting rooms can get pretty violent. And PLEASE pack liquids in a box! The weight will be about the same and for a few extra pennies you won't wind up with a return. I know everybody is trying to cut costs everywhere. Having to deal with damaged item returns isn't cost effective for sellers.

I know no sellers on these boards would do something like this. Common sense is the norm here. But when other sellers do this it makes this site look unprofessional and it causes more problems for the mail carriers. Spread the word. It looks like some sellers don't know this. 

Of course there are pictures.

2020-06-05.jpeg2020-06-05 (3).jpeg2020-06-11 (2).jpeg

Fin Rant

=================================================
Search for Anything. 0 results.
Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Re: A Brief Rant About Shipping Liquids

This is exactly why I don't buy that type of stuff from third party sellers anymore.  Mercari is just as bad - my daughter used to buy things there, and she would get packages like yours.

I can't even fathom how someone would think an envelope or padded mailer would be an acceptable shipping container for a liquid.

Liquids are supposed to surrounded by absorbent material like paper towels, and then sealed in a zip bag or other watertight container.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/601.htm

3.4 Liquids

Mailers must mark the outer container of a mailpiece containing liquid to indicate the nature of the contents (i.e. liquid), and include orientation arrows in accordance with Publication 52, section 226. Mailers must package and mail liquids under the following conditions:

1. Use screw-on caps with a minimum of one and one-half turns, soldering, clips, or similar means to close primary containers containing liquids. Do not use containers with friction-top closures (push-down tops) except as provided in 3.4c. The use of locking rings or similar devices are encouraged when mailing containers with friction-top closures (push-down tops).
  2. Liquids in steel pails and drums with positive closures, such as locking rings or recessed spouts under screw-cap closures, may be mailed without additional packaging.
  3. Breakable containers including, but not limited to, those made of glass, plastic, porcelain, and earthenware, and metal containers with pull-tabs (pop-tops) or friction-top closures, having a capacity of more than 4 fluid ounces must be triple-packaged according to the following requirements:
    1. Cushion the primary container(s) with absorbent material capable of absorbing all of the liquid in the container(s) in case of breakage;
    2. Place the primary container inside another sealed, leakproof container (secondary container), such as a watertight can or plastic bag; and
    3. Use a strong and securely sealed outer mailing container durable enough to protect the contents and withstand normal processing in Postal Service networks.
  4. As an alternative to 3.4c above, mailers may use containers certified under the International Safe Transit Association (ISTA) Test Procedure 3A. Mailers must, upon request, provide written test results verifying that sample mailpieces passed each test outlined in the standard and that no liquids were released.
The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 2
latest reply