cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

40 days now showing on handling time (desktop only)

I've not seen any discussion about this and cannot find anyone even mentioning it online. Last I knew we had a maximum of 30 days for handling. When did it go up to 40? Guess maybe I've been hiding under a rock? 

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

I saw it mentioned on another online forum yesterday. I see there actually is a 40-day option available on my account now.

Sounds like a very bad decision on ebay's part unless it's just a glitch.

Probably will see an announcement from ebay encouraging pre-sales as their next big thing.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

ebay recommends a maximum of 2 days handling time

@moonfolksupply 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 3 of 20
latest reply

I prefer maximum 1 day, but usually ship out same day. I'm just curious how they can increase it to 40. I was under the impression it was an FTC regulation to have to ship within 30?

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

@moonfolksupply wrote:

I prefer maximum 1 day, but usually ship out same day. I'm just curious how they can increase it to 40. I was under the impression it was an FTC regulation to have to ship within 30?

@moonfolksupply  - the FTC "30 Day Mailing Rule" basically says sellers must ship within the time they have advertised or if no specific timeframe is advertised, within 30 days.

https://www.ftc.gov/business-guidance/resources/business-guide-ftcs-mail-internet-or-telephone-order...

The Rule requires that when you advertise merchandise, you must have a reasonable basis for stating or implying that you can ship within a certain time. If you make no shipment statement, you must have a reasonable basis for believing that you can ship within 30 days.

So as long as they advertise 40 days, it may not violate FTC rules, depending on the situation.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

@crazystuff4sale wrote:

I saw it mentioned on another online forum yesterday. I see there actually is a 40-day option available on my account now.

Probably will see an announcement from ebay encouraging pre-sales as their next big thing.

@crazystuff4sale  great point about presales and exactly what I thought this might be aimed at when I first heard about it too - especially with eBay having recently acquired a stake in Funko that included an agreement to be the preferred secondary marketplace for their products, many of which are presales.

For now at least, the eBay presale policy page still says they must "guarantee shipment within 30 days of purchase" but it won't surprise me if we see that change as well.

velvet@ebay devon@ebay  can you confirm if eBay is going to continue to require shipment within 30 days for presales or if that will be extended to 40 days too?

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote: ... the FTC "30 Day Mailing Rule" basically says sellers must ship within the time they have advertised or if no specific timeframe is advertised, within 30 days.

https://www.ftc.gov/business-guidance/resources/business-guide-ftcs-mail-internet-or-telephone-order...

The Rule requires that when you advertise merchandise, you must have a reasonable basis for stating or implying that you can ship within a certain time. If you make no shipment statement, you must have a reasonable basis for believing that you can ship within 30 days.

So as long as they advertise 40 days, it may not violate FTC rules, depending on the situation.

That's a very informative link!

They don't specify whether the 30 days is business days or calendar days. I think most people would assume it's calendar days, which means that even eBay's option for 30-day handling time exceeds this, since eBay specifies that handling time is business days. But since it's clearly stated, it complies with the FTC rule.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@valueaddedresource wrote: ... the FTC "30 Day Mailing Rule" basically says sellers must ship within the time they have advertised or if no specific timeframe is advertised, within 30 days.

That's a very informative link!

They don't specify whether the 30 days is business days or calendar days. I think most people would assume it's calendar days, which means that even eBay's option for 30-day handling time exceeds this, since eBay specifies that handling time is business days. But since it's clearly stated, it complies with the FTC rule.

@nobody*s_perfect  - exactly! In theory as long as it is clearly stated and actually adhered to, it would not violate the rule.

However, where it gets into troubling territory is when sellers select the 30 day option because it was the longest available, even if the release date is well beyond that time.

eBay would then be showing not just the 30 day handling, but also a specific estimated delivery date on the listing that is not accurate and that could get both the seller and eBay in trouble with the FTC.

Given that current FTC leadership is very closely scrutinizing many "big tech" companies, my guess is eBay may be feeling some heat on that issue and may be testing allowing longer handling times to alleviate some of that pressure.

Like you pointed out, since handling time is business days (not including weekends or holidays) the change from 30-40 essentially adds an additional 2 weeks.

While that may not be enough to cover *all* presales, it's at least an additional buffer that's likely to decrease risks of regulatory scrutiny for eBay to some degree.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

This has happened on one of my eBay stores--estimated delivery dates are August, even though I specify 1 day handling.  Talked to eBay rep (US) who thinks this is very strange but has no idea, so opened a ticket.

For me the problem is folks won't buy stuff for which it appears delivery time is 30 days +.   Going on a week now with no resolution in sight.  My other stores have normal estimated delivery times.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@crazystuff4sale wrote:

@crazystuff4sale  great point about presales and exactly what I thought this might be aimed at when I first heard about it too - especially with eBay having recently acquired a stake in Funko that included an agreement to be the preferred secondary marketplace for their products, many of which are presales.

For now at least, the eBay presale policy page still says they must "guarantee shipment within 30 days of purchase" but it won't surprise me if we see that change as well.

velvet@ebay devon@ebay  can you confirm if eBay is going to continue to require shipment within 30 days for presales or if that will be extended to 40 days too?

velvet@ebay  devon@ebay  - just bumping this back up in case it got missed over the holiday weekend. Can you please confirm if the presale policy is going to remain at 30 days or be extended now that longer handling time are available, please?

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

@crazystuff4sale wrote:

velvet@ebay  devon@ebay  - just bumping this back up in case it got missed over the holiday weekend. Can you please confirm if the presale policy is going to remain at 30 days or be extended now that longer handling time are available, please?

I was able to get a response on this today @valueaddedresource, and it sounds like we'll be updating the presale policy to reflect the new 40-day timeframe. Look for that to update in the near future!

Velvet,
eBay
Message 11 of 20
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

@crazystuff4sale wrote:

I was able to get a response on this today @valueaddedresource, and it sounds like we'll be updating the presale policy to reflect the new 40-day timeframe. Look for that to update in the near future!

velvet@ebay has there been any update on this? I noticed the pre-sale policy page still says 30 days.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

@crazystuff4sale wrote:

velvet@ebay has there been any update on this? I noticed the pre-sale policy page still says 30 days.

Hi @valueaddedresource! I've not had any updates as to the help page getting updated. If I hear anything back on that I'll let you know. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

This needs to be addressed ASAP.  I had a listing removed today for violating presale policy. Why give the option for 40 day but then tell us we are violating policy? Makes zero sense 

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

I see you have items listed with presale in the title and 2 to 5 day handling times. That could be a problem. That was just the 1st two of your presale items I looked at.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply