cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30 day free returns or leave...

I sat throught the webinar today, basically welcome to Amazon, should you choose not to accept 30 day free returns, good luck with your endeavors with Bonanza, Spotify, who we want to be Amazon, etc...basically they told people accept it or leave.

With that said for every problem there is a solution, do we raise our prices to cover return shipping, do we add that as a handling fee, how do we sneak in the restocking fee? Ebay said if we get an item back after the buyer has had it for 29 days we can refund them only 50%....if they appeal, ebay will "cover the rest"....right....oddly I'm not sure how the worlds largest online garage sale has now forced sellers into Amazon rules, I don't see how anyone can afford to stay a seller unless you are a Chinese dropshipper and you sell **bleep**, it takes 30 days for the buyer to receive the **bleep**, it takes 30 days to return the **bleep**, most buyers accept they bought Chinese **bleep** and won't bother the hassle of returning it....it's like the old dildo scheme before ecommerse....you buy a sex toy from xxxxdirtyname company and you have to send a check, you get said item, and the only way to return it is to call your bank and tell them....I purchases a so and so sex toy from xxxdirtyname company and it arrived or broke after the 1st use....how many $1 dildos sold for $40 a piece do you think people contacted their bank over?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: 30 day free returns or leave...

30 day free returns is a requirement ONLY for sellers who want the TRS+ badge and discounts.    It is not a sitewide requirement. 

Every other seller can choose from "30 day free returns,  30 day buyer pays, 60 day buyer pays or no returns".  

previously known as boardnpostsid
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

There is no such thing as buyer pays returns. All they have to do is file a snad. Even if it is buyers remorse and you don't take returns. Guess what you get to pay the shipping both ways. It is already happening. I am fighting them right now over it. They want me to pay for the shipping and I only refunded the buyer the price of the part. So eBay has left the return open and will not close it until I refund the rest. They can take it, but I will not give it.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Most of my returns are for remorse, and all that pick that reason, pay their own return shipping.  Of course, if a not as described return is filed, then I foot the bill.  I do not plan on offering free returns, but will keep my current return policy in place which gives buyers the opportunity for honestly when they merely change their minds.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@pauls-parts wrote:

There is no such thing as buyer pays returns. All they have to do is file a snad. Even if it is buyers remorse and you don't take returns. Guess what you get to pay the shipping both ways. It is already happening. I am fighting them right now over it. They want me to pay for the shipping and I only refunded the buyer the price of the part. So eBay has left the return open and will not close it until I refund the rest. They can take it, but I will not give it.

I disagree.  I actually have had buyers pay to send remorse purchases back.   It doesn't happen often, because I have a very low return rate (0.06%).    In my 5 years of selling, the only buyer who opened a false SNAD lost the case, because they said  "Americans don't use the metric system".    Gems and other small stones/beads are measured in carats and/or millimeters, no matter where you are in the world!    The buyer could have just as well used an online measurement calculator to convert the dimensions from metric to inches.   

previously known as boardnpostsid
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Sellers need to stand strong and stick to their principles. This idea of free returns is utterly ridiculous--it will break most of us. And even if it doesn't break us, it will cause a serious cut in our income. We have already lost 10% of our TRS discount, the cost of shipping is out of control, and we are constantly undercut by foreign sellers who can sell cheaper AND really do get close to "free" shipping. 

I have tons of great buyers who do return items (on their own dime) when the items don't fit or they just don't like them. I just had someone return some tile to me that wouldn't work in their house. The tile was 40.00, the shipping was 20 each way. So a 40 dollar sale, that I made only 30 dollars on after fees, cost, etc. would have put me in the hole for 50 dollars! I would have had to refund 80 dollars at a single pop--for a 30 dollar profit--had this person been able to use free returns.  That is just insane--so guess what happens if I am forced into "free" returns, I won't sell my awesome vintage tile here anymore--less items on eBay, less income for me. Sad.

One way to protest is to not participate. For example, I have  seen some of the countries where McDonald's has its feed lots for beef--without going into detail, it is disgusting and heartbreaking--so I don't eat at McDonald's--haven't eaten there for over 20 years. Does that make a difference to them? You might be thinking who cares about one person--but it isn't just one person, because no one in my family eats there either, I won't go there with friends, won't take my kids or other people's kids there--and in 20 years I would say that I have cost them quite a bit of business--in any case, at least I can live with myself.  Not participating, or boycotting something is effective, and never underestimate how much one person can do--your singular voice does mean something. And collectively--we can make it clear to eBay how we feel about their latest and greatest plan. The little sellers who made this company deserve better than this--this is a slap in the face, and an abuse of power, that I still, honestly, just cannot wrap my head around. I am shocked that eBay would be so callous, and so ungrateful for all the help they were given in the beginning from the "small" sellers. 

I am just as scared as the next person--terrified, if you want to know the truth. I have about 30 grand in inventory right now, and eBay is all I've ever known. However, their latest moves and utter disregard for the sellers here, has made me reconsider how/where to sell things. I recently invested in a shed and I am going to start listing things (my tile for one thing) on local sites--the shed is so that they don't have to come up close to my house. I can't believe I am doing it, but I forsee many others like me doing the same thing--there is only so much we can take. It has become so incredibly stressful here, both to sell AND to buy that it almost seems absolutely necessary to preserve my mental health at this point. But no matter what--I will NOT give people the green light to steal from me--and by people, I mean eBay. 

You do whatever feels right for you--but I am truly hoping that the smaller sellers here stick to their guns, and send a collective message to eBay that they have finally gone too far.  And again--we deserve better.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Sellers need to stand strong and stick to their principles. This idea of free returns is utterly ridiculous--it will break most of us. And even if it doesn't break us, it will cause a serious cut in our income. We have already lost 10% of our TRS discount, the cost of shipping is out of control, and we are constantly undercut by foreign sellers who can sell cheaper AND really do get close to "free" shipping. 

I have tons of great buyers who do return items (on their own dime) when the items don't fit or they just don't like them. I just had someone return some tile to me that wouldn't work in their house. The tile was 40.00, the shipping was 20 each way. So a 40 dollar sale, that I made only 30 dollars on after fees, cost, etc. would have put me in the hole for 50 dollars! I would have had to refund 80 dollars at a single pop--for a 30 dollar profit--had this person been able to use free returns.  That is just insane--so guess what happens if I am forced into "free" returns, I won't sell my awesome vintage tile here anymore--less items on eBay, less income for me. Sad.

One way to protest is to not participate. For example, I have  seen some of the countries where McDonald's has its feed lots for beef--without going into detail, it is disgusting and heartbreaking--so I don't eat at McDonald's--haven't eaten there for over 20 years. Does that make a difference to them? You might be thinking who cares about one person--but it isn't just one person, because no one in my family eats there either, I won't go there with friends, won't take my kids or other people's kids there--and in 20 years I would say that I have cost them quite a bit of business--in any case, at least I can live with myself.  Not participating, or boycotting something is effective, and never underestimate how much one person can do--your singular voice does mean something. And collectively--we can make it clear to eBay how we feel about their latest and greatest idea. The little sellers who made this company deserve better than this--this is a slap in the face, and an abuse of power, that I still, honestly, just cannot wrap my head around. I am shocked that eBay would be so callous, and so ungrateful for all the help they were given in the beginning from the "small" sellers. 

I am just as scared as the next person--terrified, if you want to know the truth. I have about 30 grand in inventory right now, and eBay is all I've ever known. However, their latest moves and utter disregard for the sellers here, has made me reconsider how/where to sell things. I recently invested in a shed and I am going to start listing things (my tile for one thing) on local sites--the shed is so that they don't have to come up close to my house. I can't believe I am doing it, but I forsee many others like me doing the same thing--there is only so much we can take. It has become so incredibly stressful here, both to sell AND to buy that it almost seems absolutely necessary to preserve my mental health at this point. But no matter what--I will NOT give people the green light to steal from me--and by people, I mean eBay. 

You do whatever feels right for you--but I am truly hoping that the smaller sellers here stick to their guns, and send a collective message to eBay that they have finally gone too far.  And again--we deserve better.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

eBay is always jumping through hoops for buyers.  Has eBay thought how buyers are going to feel when all of us top rated sellers that currently ship in 1 day change our handling time to 2 or 3 days? 

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

I am not sure why you disagree when I told you what happened. Also as we don't sell the same type of items you cannot compare. Wait till you have to pay $90 in shipping fees on one item and see if you don't change your mind.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

This policy is scary for me. I have a nice store with a good following. I have reluctantly started to offer free shipping to compete with other sellers; however, with this new forced free returns, I am going to have to go back to charging shipping and maybe go higher on shipping to make up for the items that may come back. I take a modest paycheck from my business, I rarely have a surplus in my account to cover a try-on service. I dont think we are required to offer free shipping yet...right? That is probably next. Foreign sellers will run Ebay before long, because of all the reasons you cited. I enjoy what I do and I think it has an expration date. I am going to continue on, but it is keeping me on edge.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

The majority of my items are sold with Free Shipping. I was dubious at first but luckily I have not received an enormous number of returns. Several Sellers have applauded my FREE SHIPPING with their feedback or messages to me. I would like to have continued this, but sadly cannot without a 30 day return privilege.

EBay had a problem earlier when Sellers chose to sell an item at a SUPER LOW price but added an outrageous shipping charge. The reason was to avoid a large portion of the Seller's fee since eBay previously did not charge a Seller's fee on shipping charges. When too many Sellers were doing this (which caused eBay to lose substantial income) eBay changed their rules and Seller's fees were charged on the entire purchase amount.

I'm pretty certain that quite a few Sellers will resort to this tactic again in order to circumvent the "cost" of 30 day returns. Sell a $20 item (with free shipping) for only $10 with a $10 shipping fee. If the Buyer returns the item, the Seller only owes them $10 for the cost of the item (hence the reason why Buyers like FREE SHIPPING).

Of course, Buyers can always return an item "not as described" (even after they have used the item) and will be due their entire cost (including shipping). When you review the number of "Used" items sold on eBay, there is an increased possibility for Buyers to purchase an item with a 30 day return, use it  and then return it. Therefore, making it more costly (or less likely) for Sellers of used items to offer a 30 day return with FREE SHIPPING.

It could help if eBay did not require the 30 day return rule on "Used" items .

Regarding "items not as described" with the 30 day return policy, I feel as though eBay should only allow Buyers the option of returning an item for this reason within a 14 day window. As soon as a Buyer receives an item they should know right away that the item is or is not as described.

Negotiating the "twists and turns" that eBay throws out to the Sellers increases the chances of losing VERY GOOD SELLERS. I have maintained a 99-100% Buyer Satisfaction rating for one store and a 100% rating for a second store on eBay ever since beginning as an eBay Seller in 2006.  I used to offer a 1-day Handling Time and a 14 day return privelege to receive eBay's Top Rating and special discounts. Later, when the discounts were only provided to Sellers who offered a 30 day return privilege, I changed my handling time to 2 days. A 30 day return was not a viable otpion for me so I no longer wanted to risk missing my 1-day window when I wasn't able to receive the discounts without offereing a 30 day return privilege.

Goodbye 14 day returns. Goodbye Top Rated Discounts. Goodbye Returns.

Goodbye eBay? We'll see.

So yet again there is a new "twist" to negotiate. What I deem to be a prudent business decision may not be the best decision for someone else. But I agree that the "little guys" are being pushed out. For one, it's more difficult for us to absorb the costs associated with new rules. We are the ones who are more likely to provide better customer service simply because it matters MOST to us. We take pride in how we manage our eBay business and strive to do our best. Many times it is just a single proprietor and not a company of 10-50 employees or more selling items. The person who sees your order come across their eBay page is the same one who packages it, and was the same person who secured the item and made it available for sale. Pleasing the Buyer is important to us. But if we feel we are being raked over the coals, many will choose not to get burned.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

yes, unfortunately ebay has cornered sellers..I don’t like it, I am leaving the sandbox, taking my toys and going home. F this... it is not worth it. We should create another site..ProSellBay, the platform for quality sellers. 🤔
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

I am, and I have probably $100k in inventory, but decided to go back to my old business and I will sell off, multiple sites and locally for cost just to rid myself of the clutter when it’s completely thankless thinking I pay ebay to screw me over.
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

In regard to Free 30 day returns, please consider this.....

When you buy something at a brick and mortar store or at your local Walmart, do they reimburse you for your gas and mileage to return something you no longer want? Why of course not! That's an absurd idea.....right??? 

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Post # 2 apparently needs repeating.

30 day free returns is a requirement ONLY for sellers who want the TRS+ badge and discounts.    It is not a sitewide requirement. 

Every other seller can choose from "30 day free returns,  30 day buyer pays, 60 day buyer pays or no returns".  

Thank you, @shoptalkid

Message 15 of 16
latest reply