cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2018 Winter Blizzard Long Island New York

Please be advised of the Blizzard conditions here in New York, mainly Long Island. Everything is shut down, no work no school, no way to get items shipped out etc. I contacted my buyers and I also contacted Ebay as well.  Ebay has not posted this and it is important, this is a new year and a new storm affecting so many people.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: 2018 Winter Blizzard Long Island New York

The media have this storm pretty well covered, so there's no need for eBay to say anything. News of airports closed and flights cancelled should be a big clue -- and most buyers are intelligent enough to realize that winter storms disrupt transportation. It happens every year! I grew up on Long Island and later lived 4 years in Manhattan. Two of my sharpest memories are the blizzards of 1947 and 1966, and snowstorms of the 1950s were nothing to sneeze at. But, according to my maternal grandfather, nothing compared to the Blizzard of '88. He was born later that year but loved to pass along stories he heard as a child. Bottom line: Relax. Enjoy a cup of hot tea and a good book. ~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Ebay has posted several announcements. They have acknowledged the storms and will offer seller protection. There's an announcement on the announcements board https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/bg-p/Announcements as well as the selling board.....

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I was just telling my son today of the snow that we had when I was growing up.  I remember in '64 when my mother went to the hospital to deliver my brother.  The snow was way over my head that was on the cleared on the sidewalk.  I remember my grandmother "dragging" me down the street to her house with me kicking and screaming, nooooooooooooooo LMAO!  I did not want to stay with her because her and I always fought LOL!  Then my mother came back home because it was payday (whole nother story).  After she got my father's paycheck, she went back to deliver, and here we go again . . . Nanna dragging me back down the street, me kicking and screaming LOL!  I live in Northern New Jersey so what NYC/Long Island received, we did too!  It was fun as a kid.  Mommie would take my sister and I sledding on Paulison Ave (now Shop-Rite), but I don't know how my father and grandfather got around w/no SUV, but they made it!  She just stopped doing everything when my brother was born  . . . ugg 😞  

I right now, my body is aching from shoveling/cleaning out my father's parking spot and dragging home 28lbs of cat litter yesterday 😞  But I still like the snow to a degree.  Don't know the exact total for my area but it was more than 6" 😞  Going to bed now, 'cause I have to take Daddy to Drs in the morning if they are open.   Thanks for the flashback - life was good then and I'm glad I can still remember!

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I also grew up on Long Island, Lake Ronkonkoma to be exact, and vividly remember  the blizzard of 1966.  I was a 6 year old kid playing in snow drifts that could swallow you whole... I love those memories, but these days I'm happier to be dealing with tropical weather, rather than snow.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Safety first. Worry about eBay later when it is safe to travel.  And if you HAVE to go out take what you would need if stuck for several hours. YOU may have a good vehicle, good tires, great driving skills but you may be hit or just traffic stopped because of someone who doesn't.

I was once stopped on the highway in my '78 Ford truck (no AC)with a wreaked car and semi blocking both lanes in an area with no berm and a concrete center wall. We were one of many. I always carry a cooler with water but was lucky enough that we had a case of bottles in the bed besides that. It was HOT and in the middle of summer and the road was baking everyone. An elderly man walked u the road looking for something for his wife to drink. We soon emptied both our cooler and the warm case of water. Only a few people were carrying anything. We were there nearly 3 hours.

If you need to go out during this take blankets, water (because cold will dehydrate you as quick as excess heat). A fully charged phone, a heat source independent of your vehicle, Hot Hands packs or even a short pillar candle and matches. It may not seam like much but in a closed car it can help raise the temp a few degrees. Snacks. 

Currently here in the middle of Ohio 2* with a wind chill of -15 and destined to drop to around -31 before starting to rise again. 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@karen9nick wrote:

Please be advised of the Blizzard conditions here in New York, mainly Long Island. Everything is shut down, no work no school, no way to get items shipped out etc. I contacted my buyers and I also contacted Ebay as well.  Ebay has not posted this and it is important, this is a new year and a new storm affecting so many people.

Hi everyone! I wanted step in and let you all know that eBay is always here to protect our sellers during a natural disaster, extreme weather, or other widespread event. These protections are typically applied automatically once we've identified those impacted. See our Announcement about the extreme weather we've been seeing lately for more details.

Also, even when an event is not widespread, we can always review a more localized event to manually apply appropriate protections. As long as we can confirm that a disaster, weather or similar impacting event has delayed shipment or communication of your items, we will protect your selling account from any related defects.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Nope, As I said on another thread, I was given a defect for not shipping an order DURING the blizzard. Called ebay and the rep told me the protection was only for late delivery and not late shipment. 

Explain that one please?

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I was thinking "hmmm, they had some pretty good storms around then, but I don't remember..." then I looked at the dates you remembered, and realized your grandpappy was talking about 1888!

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe you can look into why All Packages coming and Going through North Houston are being Delayed, Started Dec 1 .I have filed a case No response yet. First Class and Priority mail are all late Not one showing up on time!

Message 10 of 10
latest reply