@pburn 

The error message seems to appear only for replies, not OPs… 🤔 

Yes--that was my point.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Re: This is a test post

@nocoolnamejane 

@pburn 

And only in threaded format? While linear format is fine?

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@shipscript 

Are we talking about the same thing? I wouldn't think requiring a reply would have anything to do with linear or threaded format . . . 

We're talking about the fact that an OP is not required to type anything in the "text box," or field where one types their comments, but when one creates a reply, some characters are required before the post can be submitted. I believe @nocoolnamejane and I are wondering why OPs posting a brand new thread are not required to type anything in that comment box.

Why would there be a difference in this regard between the linear format and the threaded format?

For the record, I use linear format only and have absolutely no interest in what happens when a person uses the threaded format.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@pburn 

Nope, not talking about the same thing at all, LOL. There is a long-standing "preview" failure in threaded mode, but only in replies, and not in an original post or in revisions to replies, so I took a stab in the dark, given the vague similarities.

As to your actual question, notice that the OP is required to provide some characters in the title, so the whole setup is different.  When I am starting a new post and typing away at the title, I frequently find a few words in the title and the remainder in the "tags" field off to the right. There is a timing issue with the way the page loads into my desktop browser. But perhaps that is my issue alone, and not a widespread one.

It would be great if the OP were required to add a body element, and not just a title. That would make it so much easier to answer questions. We've seen this shortcoming overwhelmingly appear on the "Ask a Mentor" forum and had thought it might be due to using a mobile device. It's been posted as a problem for several years, but perhaps you two can bring it back to the forefront in this forum. 

I now see the related post here:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Share-Community-Platform/Is-there-a-way-to-force-an-OP-to-write-in-the...

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply