cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shall We Discuss What we would like to see in 2019 In Regards to the Threads!

There is much discussion on another thread with a completely different subject regarding the pros and cons of the threads.  It is an unfair discussion to have on this other thread as it takes away from the reason for the other thread.

So here we are.  Let's discuss it here.  

What do you like about the threads?

What do you dislike about the threads?

What changes would you like to see?

What enhancements would you like to see?

This is NOT about naming and shaming.  A contructive conversation can be had.  Be honest but mindful that saying hurtful things about someone else is NOT the goal of this thread.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 1 of 94
latest reply
93 REPLIES 93

Re: Shall We Discuss What we would like to see in 2019 In Regards to the Threads!

I like the idea shared by a different poster on a different thread of not allowing Posters that start a thread to mark one of their own posts as a solution.

Message 16 of 94
latest reply

Re: Shall We Discuss What we would like to see in 2019 In Regards to the Threads!

@emerald40 wrote:

I want an up button.

The monthly prizes.  Never thought much about them since this thread.  But if they are causing hurt feelings, may be ebay should stop them.  In fact after the first one I thought the mod said they would be looking to other boards for the next one.

And I will be blunt. I am not talking about swearing or making fun of someone because of race, religion, sexual orientation, level of education, etc.  But,  Stop contacting the mods and turning people in if you simply do not like a post or have a gruge against them.  IMO it is childish to keep running to the teacher.  It has done a lot of damage here.

I would like to see additional oversight of moderation in the coming year.  There is too much favoritism shown to certain "special" posters.  And when one a moderator goes rogue and colludes with those "special" posters, innocuous comments are frequently removed simply by virtue of the person reporting them without the posts ever being read for actual content.  

Sadly it has resulted in the loss of some super helpful and prolific posters for one reason or another.  Those posters should not only be welcomed back, but they should be apologized to. 

Message 17 of 94
latest reply

I couldn't agree more with all of you - especially you crowing. It's one thing to report someone who's really out of hand, using bad language, threatening another poster or pushing a point that an OP could get in real trouble over if they followed the advice - quite another to report because someone didn't agree with you.

You all may see consecutive posts from me as I'm up at 4 am and there aren't many others on here - but I do try to consolidate my responses - which I have advised others to do. No need for multiple threads quoting the poster's text - I get a headache scrolling.

I myself can do without a thumbs up as it's being abused - I do it myself - someone says a joke that's cute - I thumbs up - but in reality - is that joke helpful to the OP's concern - which is what being helpful means - no.

Message 18 of 94
latest reply

This thread getting moved to another board makes me remember another thing I wish they could fix because it is beyond annoying to me when a thread is moved to another board and I have to start all over at the beginning because it can't remember from one board to another that I've already read some of the thread.

It isn't bad when it is just a page or two but when they get longer and I have to start at the beginning it is not a pleasant experience at all! LOL

Message 19 of 94
latest reply

I would like to see these boards be a place where people truly do help each other without so many threads turning to Junior High School level immaturity.

Examples:

Pointing out spelling errors or grammer on someone's post. No shaming or humilating people who come here for help. If that is the best you can do, just pass the post up please.

No battles between 2 or more people who all want to be right and will derail the thread arguing to get in the last word. Take it to privage messaging, please.

Less posters taking a 'We' stance here, being territorial ove the boards and trying to elevate themselves to authority. There is no WE here, it's all of US. Let's remember that, please.

Less shaming of people who come here with questions or venting or confusion. Every time I see the attacks start in on another seller or buyer, I cringe, and leave. Too much bullying here, and little moderation until it's pointed out to an eBay mod and they come in and spank. Barely. 

In other words, I would like to see less fault finding behavior here. It often does not feel like a SAFE place here on the eBay boards to share or ask or anything for fear of attack or public humiliation. 

I wonder how many people never dare post here or answer for fear of being pounced upon by the bullies. There have been MANY questions I have had but changed my mind asking, for fear of being made fun of, shamed, humiliated, bullied, picked on, told it's been gone over a thousand times already, etc.,

I am not alone in this. That's what I want from eBay boards for 2019 🙂

In the end, only kindness matters.

Message 20 of 94
latest reply

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

If a Blue responds in a thread, I would like to see the response or responses go up to the top, maybe right under the OP.  

I believe that was suggested a few monts back on the Wednesday chat.

I believe the response made to that by a blue(and maybe others) suggested that would tend to break the continuity of the thread making it harder to follow.

Just as when replies are posted without refrencing who/what they are replying to.

Message 21 of 94
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

This thread getting moved to another board makes me remember another thing I wish they could fix because it is beyond annoying to me when a thread is moved to another board and I have to start all over at the beginning because it can't remember from one board to another that I've already read some of the thread.

It isn't bad when it is just a page or two but when they get longer and I have to start at the beginning it is not a pleasant experience at all! LOL

@readabouthorses

I'm not sure I follow.  I moved the thread, not a mod.  And my original thread has ZERO posts because it was brought to my attention by another poster that the board I put it on is not well traveled.  So I'm unsure your point.

Message 22 of 94
latest reply

@lovefindingtreasures2 wrote:

I would like to see these boards be a place where people truly do help each other without so many threads turning to Junior High School level immaturity.

Examples:

Pointing out spelling errors or grammer on someone's post. No shaming or humilating people who come here for help. If that is the best you can do, just pass the post up please.

No battles between 2 or more people who all want to be right and will derail the thread arguing to get in the last word. Take it to privage messaging, please.

Less posters taking a 'We' stance here, being territorial ove the boards and trying to elevate themselves to authority. There is no WE here, it's all of US. Let's remember that, please.

Less shaming of people who come here with questions or venting or confusion. Every time I see the attacks start in on another seller or buyer, I cringe, and leave. Too much bullying here, and little moderation until it's pointed out to an eBay mod and they come in and spank. Barely. 

In other words, I would like to see less fault finding behavior here. It often does not feel like a SAFE place here on the eBay boards to share or ask or anything for fear of attack or public humiliation. 

I wonder how many people never dare post here or answer for fear of being pounced upon by the bullies. There have been MANY questions I have had but changed my mind asking, for fear of being made fun of, shamed, humiliated, bullied, picked on, told it's been gone over a thousand times already, etc.,

I am not alone in this. That's what I want from eBay boards for 2019 🙂

In the end, only kindness matters.

Your comments are excellent and very true IMHO.  I get PMs all the time from posters that do not want to participate on certain threads and ask me if I can answer a question for them.  So YES you are absolutely correct.  There are lots of people out there reading the forums, but due to one reason or another they don't post.  If we welcome them more, more will come.

Message 23 of 94
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

If a Blue responds in a thread, I would like to see the response or responses go up to the top, maybe right under the OP.  

I believe the response made to that by a blue(and maybe others) suggested that would tend to break the continuity of the thread making it harder to follow.

Just as when replies are posted without refrencing who/what they are replying to.

I believe you are correct, but they could do it like they are when a thread gets solved now.  When the OP marks a thread solved, the posting or postings that were checked off as being the postings that solved the thread, a copy appears at the top of the thread.  But the original postings are in the chain of postings just as it was originally.

They could do the same thing with blue posts.  Leave them in the chain of posts, but put a copy of the post at the top.

Message 24 of 94
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

I see your point and it makes sense. 

Sometimes, threads go back and forth between posters with different points of view, then a Blue is tagged for clarification or to answer a specific question.  The Blue does not always respond right away and the back and forth between posters continues.  The Blue comes into the thread, clarifies or answers the question and the back and forth between posters often continues even after the Blue has posted.  Maybe I need to slow down and read all the way through the thread...however sometimes I am just curious to know what the answer is once I see that a Blue has responded.

Message 25 of 94
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

I believe you are correct, but they could do it like they are when a thread gets solved now.  When the OP marks a thread solved, the posting or postings that were checked off as being the postings that solved the thread, a copy appears at the top of the thread.  But the original postings are in the chain of postings just as it was originally.

They could do the same thing with blue posts.  Leave them in the chain of posts, but put a copy of the post at the top.

Yes, Yes, Yes.  Your suggestion is spot on for what I would like to see happen.

Message 26 of 94
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@readabouthorses wrote:

@readabouthorses

I'm not sure I follow.  I moved the thread, not a mod.  And my original thread has ZERO posts because it was brought to my attention by another poster that the board I put it on is not well traveled.  So I'm unsure your point.

So this particular thread was originally on the Selling Board and you are saying you moved it over here to Community News? Interesting. Did you ask a Mod to move it or what?

Anyway when a thread gets moved from one board to another no matter how it gets moved, when I go back into the thread it is like I have never been there and you have to start all over at the original thread and try to find your place. It is like someone snatched your bookmark out of your book and now you have to find your place again.

Message 27 of 94
latest reply

I wonder how many people never dare post here or answer for fear of being pounced upon by the bullies. 

--------------------------------------------------------

Not sure of the exact number, but I know it's loads.

Message 28 of 94
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

I didn't even realize it had been moved.  I originally had it on the community board, then I moved it to the Selling board and it appears it has been moved back.  I had not caught that, thank you.

I just follow the postings.  I don't go back and look at the top where it says what forum I'm on, which is why I didn't catch that it had moved.

Message 29 of 94
latest reply

I disagree as most don't even come to these boards unless there is a problem. Remember - there are 2 sides of every story - even when one story teller is very convincing - the truth is not always what you think..

Message 30 of 94
latest reply