cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post quoting ... and quoting ... and quoting ... and ....

Can y'all look into a way to truncate long and/or nested quotes?  I'm getting kind of tired of wearing my scroll button out due to long posts being quoted multiple times, or people requoting others and ending up with six or eight nested layers of quotes.

It would be nice if people would voluntarily edit the post they're quoting down to just the relevant few words.  But since they don't, can't, won't or don't know how to, perhaps there is a way the system can hide most of it?

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

@chrysylyswrote:

doug@ebaywrote:

An update. We're not able to limit the number of quotes in a post, but are looking into other options. I've passed suggestions on and we will look at options and update the Community.

If you see good examples, please post links here and I'll send them over.

Limiting nested quotes to the most prevuious one or two is a really basic function of most board software packages.  Very, very few allow more than three nests.

Truncation is more complex to me, but I've seen some where only the first two lines or so of a quote appear in normal contrast and the rest 'fade out', but can be seen if clicked on.

Boards are chock full of examples and I've seen some 7 layers deep ...  like a bad bean salad.  I try to find some of the worst examples to horrify L into acting.

I like the "Fade out" as it would satisfy both shorting posts and being able to see whole post.

Could Ebay/Lithium pull this off or is it too complicated

"If you found my reply useful, please give it a Helpful.

If my response assisted in resolving your question, please click Accept as Solution."

nana-nana-boo-boo
Message 31 of 49
latest reply

@hidy-hoo wrote:

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the type of quote feature that you would like to see implemented here...or at least describe it?

This is really, really hard to do without disclosing too much information.  Though I have obscured all text, If you look at the last line of text (green pointer), you can see that it is noticebly fainter than the lines above it.  There are several more lines of text hidden below that, but above the 'Click To Expand' notice.

OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 32 of 49
latest reply

I agree with you on quotes more then 2 or 3.
I think you aren’t a fan of mobile devices, but I use one. I see the line after line over and over. I showed a screenshot of what you’re referring to and it, well ... sent me closer to vaca
Not a fan of reading the click here to read more shadow thing. When I see them, I instantly think spam link and move on. Don’t know if a fix or suggestion other then limits on quotes.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 33 of 49
latest reply

I'm glad someone pointed me towards this thread.

The fade-out would be great if Lithium can accomplish it... keep content in tact while shortening the display.

Upthread someone mentioned educating posters about quotes and how to truncate but I don't see that being very successful unless the mods or community team were to privately contact the worst offenders. Some posters refuse to truncate because the person they're replying to may get upset if the context of their comment is also removed.

Keep the content but limit the view. Click to read more should expand the content within the post and not load a new page. There is some similarity to the Spoiler feature.

When expanded there should be another link that says click to read less and revert back to the compressed view.

Message 34 of 49
latest reply

doug@ebaywrote:

An update. We're not able to limit the number of quotes in a post, but are looking into other options. I've passed suggestions on and we will look at options and update the Community.

Ya'Know ......   I just realized they'ree already doing it on the Profile pages with the SeeMore link.  Seems like that would work in a thread body, no?

Message 35 of 49
latest reply

OK, that screen shot didn't show up well, but everybody can see how it works by going to their own Profile page where you can review your own posts.

Message 36 of 49
latest reply

@mallontownwrote:

@chrysylyswrote:

Another 7 bagger: 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Bidding-Buying/Seller-won-t-send-purchase-to-mail-forwarding-address/m...

No censorship please

Thousand of 2 and 3 baggers out there

Dont let those few 7 baggers ruin being able to follow whole posts.

@mallontown, yes, but the worst offenders are also some of the most prolific posters / responders. Smiley Wink

Belle
Message 37 of 49
latest reply

yes, but the worst offenders are also some of the most prolific posters / responders. Smiley Wink

Ain't That Tht Truth!!!!
Message 38 of 49
latest reply

doug@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Updating on the nested quote issue. We're working on an option and should be ready to test it soon.

We'll keep you posted.

Message 39 of 49
latest reply

I’m about done with trying to do  anything in the boards with my iPhone 

does yours look like this with all the quotes? 09C71E68-EA43-4E42-8637-8EE4E97E4409.png

Message 40 of 49
latest reply

I've found mobile things all but unusable for anything web related other than a quick check of the weather.  I just cannot imagine trying to use one to buy here (or anywhere) , do daily tasks or communicate on boards like these.

Even with a separate Bluetooth keyboard, I find it exceedingly difficult.

Message 41 of 49
latest reply

Yea will if I am sitting in an office waiting for an appointment or somewhere and want to pop on to say the Weekly chat then I do use it .
I use it for ebay bonus bucks also , because you know they offer more for using the App sometimes to try to drive more business to mobile Smiley Surprised

Message 42 of 49
latest reply

doug@ebaywrote:

Updating on the nested quote issue. We're working on an option and should be ready to test it soon.

We'll keep you posted.

Thanks Doug, it can't come too soon for me..........lol

Message 43 of 49
latest reply

With all due respect, it is nice when you don't have to do that and the quote is right there, without having to hunt for it.

Message 44 of 49
latest reply

@readabouthorseswrote:

@chrysylys wrote:

@mallontown wrote:

To make a full informed post its best that all info is showed.

Repeating the same information over and over and over is unnecessary and only makes scrolling pats all of it more tedious.  One can always scroll up to see the originla post(s).

Sometimes scrolling back up to see the original post or post that was quoted can be a real pain. I don't show that many posts per page so sometimes that post I referenced might be 3 pages back. I get lost too easily without having to go back pages and pages to try to find the post I was referring to.

Thank you!

Message 45 of 49
latest reply