cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community team to start accepting solutions for posts

sheila@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

I'm recapping some of my comments made in this post, to my original post:

• We want to make sure all Community members see a great solution and sometimes that solution can be buried in a thread. We want to help those who aren't going to read 40+ posts in one thread
  • The Community team will not jump into every post and mark solutions, but they do spend a lot of time on the boards and when they come across a post that has a very clear answer and within policy, they'll accept solutions.

• The Community team will also not change solutions that was previously selected by the OP. 

• If the OP isn't happy with the solution, they're free to change it
  • Only the Community team and the OP can accept solutions, though I am aware of the problems with the OP selecting solutions.
  • Our current team. even though they have less than a year of experience on Community, have many years of eBay support support experience (10+ years) so they're very well versed on all things eBay. They'll be very thoughtful when it comes to selecting solid accepted solutions that follow eBay policy.

• Sometimes an OP might not realize there's an option to Accept a Solution
  • A lot of our Community members come to Community through Google searches. For someone who's brand new to the platform and who wants to find an answer right away, having an accepted solution will be helpful.

• Here's a sample question: 

Q: How do I reverse negative feedback I left?

A: Use the contact link to ask your seller to send you a Feedback Revision Request.

• We're staying out of opinion based posts or posts seeking general advice. For example, if a member is asking for advice on the success sellers have had running promotions, there could be several helpful posts from sellers. In this case, we won't accept a solution.
  • Lastly, we want to give credit to those who provide great answers

Update as of 05/04 - I've made note of all the feedback from this post and will make modifications to the process if needed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting today, the Community team will start accepting solutions for post that have a clear answer and within policy. This will apply to all boards except for the Ask a Mentor board.

Short and simple announcement so you're aware. 😊

Sheila
Community Manager
eBay
Message 1 of 74
latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

This could get very interesting...

Message 16 of 74
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

How do we alert your team that an OP marked an incorrect answer as a Solution?

@mr_lincoln 

You have pointed out the bigger concern, IMO. If the Community Team were charged with somehow identifying incorrect solutions instead of interfering with a member's right to choose their own solution or to not choose one at all, I might be able to accept that, depending on how it was accomplished.

As you, I also question the Community Team's discretion in determining which of several similar responses will be selected as the solution. 

It's unclear to me exactly what this new process is supposed to address. I certainly have issues with the "solution" process as it stands:

1. People who select their own post as the solution.
  2. People who select just any post as a solution, sometimes merely because it's the last post in the thread, thinking it closes the thread from further posts.
  3. People who select an incorrect answer to their question/situation.
  4. People who select whatever post seems to best agree with their rant.

This new approach doesn't address any of those issues, so what is the point of having a Community Team member select the solution for someone else's thread? Why has the Community Team decided to implement this practice? What did the Team identify as problems with the solution process, and how does this practice resolve those problems? It seems to me to be nothing but intrusive and self-serving.

eBay uses this Community as a de facto Customer Service option when CS can't or won't provide assistance on a particular issue. To have eBay interfere with the "solution" process without giving an explanation of why this decision was undertaken undermines posters' confidence in the process.

As stated by the OP, this change will not affect the "Ask a Mentor" board--which eBay controls via their Mentor program--and there's already a partnership with Limitless that eBay controls through their supervision of those participants. If eBay wants to now control the "solution" aspect of these discussion boards, what's next?

Maybe they should just invest a little more--or a lot more--in the training of Customer Service reps so members wouldn't have to rely on other members to help resolve their issues. So many of the threads started on these boards refer to previous contact with Customer Service that was not at all helpful. It might be a better use of the Community Team's time to help develop training tools for CS instead of monitoring these discussion boards looking for "solutions" to other members' threads.

I'll try to get something posted in today's Weekly Chat as well. Maybe not everyone feels the same as I about this decision.

Message 17 of 74
latest reply

@divwido wrote:

Why?

That's what I'd like to know. too.  If this is the solution, what is the problem? 

Message 18 of 74
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

To the average poster, the post will look the same as one where the OP accepted the solution.

This might be the most offensive, outrageous, deceitful part of the whole procedure. Not even identifying that the solution has been chosen by an eBay employee?

SMH.

How many times are "regular" posters accused of being eBay employees? Now, this will give them further ammunition to make that charge--and they just might be right, in a manner of speaking.

Message 19 of 74
latest reply

Hello Sheila,

Does this mean, by determining a solution from one of the posts on a thread, that the community team is going to decide questions about, and confirm, what an item is, confirm whether it is real or fake, if it is new or old, or verify a name or confirm the translation some calligraphy - determining which is the clear answer?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 20 of 74
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@mr_lincoln 

You have pointed out the bigger concern, IMO. If the Community Team were charged with somehow identifying incorrect solutions instead of interfering with a member's right to choose their own solution or to not choose one at all, I might be able to accept that, depending on how it was accomplished.

As you, I also question the Community Team's discretion in determining which of several similar responses will be selected as the solution. 

It's unclear to me exactly what this new process is supposed to address. I certainly have issues with the "solution" process as it stands:

1. People who select their own post as the solution.
  2. People who select just any post as a solution, sometimes merely because it's the last post in the thread, thinking it closes the thread from further posts.
  3. People who select an incorrect answer to their question/situation.
  4. People who select whatever post seems to best agree with their rant.

This new approach doesn't address any of those issues, so what is the point of having a Community Team member select the solution for someone else's thread? Why has the Community Team decided to implement this practice? What did the Team identify as problems with the solution process, and how does this practice resolve those problems? It seems to me to be nothing but intrusive and self-serving.

eBay uses this Community as a de facto Customer Service option when CS can't or won't provide assistance on a particular issue. To have eBay interfere with the "solution" process without giving an explanation of why this decision was undertaken undermines posters' confidence in the process.

As stated by the OP, this change will not affect the "Ask a Mentor" board--which eBay controls via their Mentor program--and there's already a partnership with Limitless that eBay controls through their supervision of those participants. If eBay wants to now control the "solution" aspect of these discussion boards, what's next?

Maybe they should just invest a little more--or a lot more--in the training of Customer Service reps so members wouldn't have to rely on other members to help resolve their issues. So many of the threads started on these boards refer to previous contact with Customer Service that was not at all helpful. It might be a better use of the Community Team's time to help develop training tools for CS instead of monitoring these discussion boards looking for "solutions" to other members' threads.

I'll try to get something posted in today's Weekly Chat as well. Maybe not everyone feels the same as I about this decision.

@pburn   You and others have posed very good questions and points of concern ... it might be time for a meeting with the Community team to discuss this further ... on a certain level I can completely understand and agree with an "oversight" committee to insure that those who need a correct answer get them.  But I am curious about the implementation and guidelines that will be used.

Let me explain one aspect of Limitless (in general terms) that may be something similar coming in to play here ... Experts actually grade the replies of other Experts , they never grade their own answers to Sellers' posts (called a "Task").  Other Experts can agree or disagree with a post made by another Expert.  When a completed Task is up for Review by other Experts it is on a first come first serve basis.  So I might Review one and submit my Review to Limitless ... that Task may or may not appear on other Expert's list for Review. 

There is no perfect system out there, that much I know.  I "think" this latest initiative by the Community team is to try to deliver a better product for the end user, meaning those who have questions and issues and come here to ask questions.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 21 of 74
latest reply

Maybe the community team can just answer the unanswered questions INSTEAD of checking what other posters have written.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 22 of 74
latest reply

@janet9988 wrote:

Maybe the community team can just answer the unanswered questions INSTEAD of checking what other posters have written.

That could be somewhat problematic as that might be interpreted as having been answered by 'ebay' (one of the representatives thereof), which would perhaps place ebay in an ackward position if it isn't an approved answer to a considered question or situation, and ebay would rather to be distanced from.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 23 of 74
latest reply

sheila@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

We want to make sure all Community members see a great solution and sometimes that solution can be buried in a thread.

The Community team will not jump into every post and mark solutions but they do spend a lot of time on the boards and when they come across a post that has a very clear answer and within policy, they'll be marking those as solutions. They will also not change solutions that were already selected by the OP. 

If an OP isn't happy, they can uncheck the solution.

Only the Community team and the OP can accept a solution.

Sheila
Community Manager
eBay
Message 24 of 74
latest reply

With respect, your "short and simple" announcement would have been met with more positive responses and not have left so many of us in the dark if you'd only posted the above initially. Just saying you may want to rethink your short & simple moving forward as this new post is still short yet much better at explaining this new change. Thank you and have a wonderful day.... 

Message 25 of 74
latest reply

@lamber9347 wrote:

With respect, your "short and simple" announcement would have been met with more positive responses and not have left so many of us in the dark if you'd only posted the above initially. Just saying you may want to rethink your short & simple moving forward as this new post is still short yet much better at explaining this new change. Thank you and have a wonderful day.... 

I don't think it makes it any better--in fact, I think it makes it worse.

What makes eBay think an OP who hasn't marked a solution is suddenly going to "unmark" a solutions. We see on these boards quite frequently that an OP has "accidentally" marked a post as a solution but is unaware of how to "uncheck" it.

Whoever came up with this process really does not have a finger on the pulse of this Community.

sheila@ebay 

These discussion boards are for the Community. To have eBay employees looking over every thread is insulting. Decisions like this one, or removing the Helpful Authors list from the Community Platform Feedback board, are short-sighted and ignore the well-known "Law of Unintended Consequences."

How about if all the board regulars just quit posting and let eBay employees take over the responsibility of picking up the slack from the lousy "Customer Service" eBay provides. That's the area that needs improvement--CUSTOMER SERVICE--not these discussion boards.

Let the Community Team work the live chat or phone banks instead. 

This idea is an insult to anyone who responds regularly on these boards, and it's obvious by the solutions staff has already chosen that there will be winners and losers in who gets a solution chosen from and eBay employee and who doesn't.

I've read rumors suggesting eBay was planning to do away with this Community. If eBay continues to make these kinds of decisions, they won't have to.

Message 26 of 74
latest reply

sheila@ebay 

And to not even identify that the solution has been chosen by an eBay employee? What's up with that? Could this whole process somehow be made less transparent? 

Message 27 of 74
latest reply

Personally, I don't see much of a problem with this. I'm thinking it can only benefit the community overall in the long run. Lots of OPs don't even mark a solution. Busy folks come looking for immediate and accurate (well, mostly accurate) answers. Only dedicated lurkers and some of the drama llama people don't mind all the reading, and very few even want to get into the minutiae of most policies (and their enforcements, or lack thereof).

If an OP has sea gulled, I have no problem with an ebay person choosing any given solution. If it makes simple policy-compliant solutions to many questions more easily and quickly accessed, then who cares how the solution got marked?

Anyone with further questions or who wants to go into detail (or viable work-arounds for known issues) can simply start their own thread!

I don't see transparency as a big issue. If a marked solution matches the written policy pages, how does it matter who chose it? I especially appreciate posters who clarify policies with a link to the written pages for me to read on my own. Some of that stuff is buried pretty deep!

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 28 of 74
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

sheila@ebay   Will the Community Team be making their determination on the following?

-Chronology of the correct response?

-Thoroughness of a correct response?

What I've seen are some very short correct replies followed by comprehensive correct replies.  So while the first reply might be correct it may also lack the support information or Help Page explanation that would benefit the OP more then say a "yes" of "no" answer:  Example below

OP:  Can I sell some old African Elephant trunks on eBay?

First Responder:  "No"

Second responder 10 minutes later:  Unfortunately that would violate eBay's Animal Products Policy and here is a link the Help Pages that covers that policy in more detail.  (link)

There are other scenarios where two or more responders provide an accurate answer but the OP's question could apply to different issues AND they (the OP) have not provided enough info so the real question is unclear AND different accurate answers 'COULD" APPLY.

Some OPs never come back to their thread to read the replies we have given them, some come back and say thank you but don't click accept solution because 1) they are so new they don't know if the answers are correct of 2) they don't feel qualified to verify the answers given or 3) they go off and try what was suggested, have success but then fail to find their thread to mark an accepted solution or could care less about marking a solution.  If this new process is to basically do that form them then it makes sense.

Regards,

Mr. L

Our current team. even though they have less than a year's experience on Community, have many years of eBay support support experience (10+ years) so they're very well versed on all things eBay. They'll be very thoughtful when it comes to selecting solid accepted solutions that follow eBay policy.

Some posts go on for pages and pages and the answer gets buried in the post, and sometimes the OP might not realize the option to accept a solution. 

In addition, a lot of our Community members come to Community through Google searches. For someone who's brand new to the platform and that might want to find an answer right away, having an accepted solution will be helpful.

Sheila
Community Manager
eBay
Message 29 of 74
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Hello Sheila,

Does this mean, by determining a solution from one of the posts on a thread, that the community team is going to decide questions about, and confirm, what an item is, confirm whether it is real or fake, if it is new or old, or verify a name or confirm the translation some calligraphy - determining which is the clear answer?

No, the Community team will not step into posts like the example you gave.

Here's a sample question:

Q: How do I reverse negative feedback I left?

A: Use the contact link to ask your seller to send you a Feedback Revision Request.

Sheila
Community Manager
eBay
Message 30 of 74
latest reply