cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community team to start accepting solutions for posts

sheila@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

I'm recapping some of my comments made in this post, to my original post:

• We want to make sure all Community members see a great solution and sometimes that solution can be buried in a thread. We want to help those who aren't going to read 40+ posts in one thread
  • The Community team will not jump into every post and mark solutions, but they do spend a lot of time on the boards and when they come across a post that has a very clear answer and within policy, they'll accept solutions.

• The Community team will also not change solutions that was previously selected by the OP. 

• If the OP isn't happy with the solution, they're free to change it
  • Only the Community team and the OP can accept solutions, though I am aware of the problems with the OP selecting solutions.
  • Our current team. even though they have less than a year of experience on Community, have many years of eBay support support experience (10+ years) so they're very well versed on all things eBay. They'll be very thoughtful when it comes to selecting solid accepted solutions that follow eBay policy.

• Sometimes an OP might not realize there's an option to Accept a Solution
  • A lot of our Community members come to Community through Google searches. For someone who's brand new to the platform and who wants to find an answer right away, having an accepted solution will be helpful.

• Here's a sample question: 

Q: How do I reverse negative feedback I left?

A: Use the contact link to ask your seller to send you a Feedback Revision Request.

• We're staying out of opinion based posts or posts seeking general advice. For example, if a member is asking for advice on the success sellers have had running promotions, there could be several helpful posts from sellers. In this case, we won't accept a solution.
  • Lastly, we want to give credit to those who provide great answers

Update as of 05/04 - I've made note of all the feedback from this post and will make modifications to the process if needed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting today, the Community team will start accepting solutions for post that have a clear answer and within policy. This will apply to all boards except for the Ask a Mentor board.

Short and simple announcement so you're aware. 😊

Sheila
Community Manager
eBay
Message 1 of 74
latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

Re: Community team to start accepting solutions for posts

Unfortunately I unsubscribed from all those email notifications. This is the one time they would've been helpful.

Message 61 of 74
latest reply

@crazystuff4sale wrote:

I just had one of mine accepted as solution. The OP Immediately replied to me asking how that happened.

So whoever predicted that would happen is right.

The major issue that this policy is bringing out is one of credibility.  Usually with those, I view it as "this solution helped the problem the OP was having", but with ebay staff doing this, it becomes "This is an official ebay sanctioned reply".  The worst part is that who marked it is not known to the average browser, which indeed presents a transparency problem, as illustrated in this post.

Message 62 of 74
latest reply

Are you able to provide an example of how it will look when a Community Team member accepts a solution to someone else's post?

Message 63 of 74
latest reply

@gre-7931 wrote:

Are you able to provide an example of how it will look when a Community Team member accepts a solution to someone else's post?

The exact same as if if the OP marks a solution to the post.  Hence the issue described through a number of the comments here.

Message 64 of 74
latest reply

It will look the same as any solution.

You would only know if you participate or subscribe to the thread and see the notification feed or email.

Message 65 of 74
latest reply

sheila@ebay   Good morning,

I just saw that a Solution was accepted on a thread by a Community member, link here: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/INFLATION-Does-a-Seller-lower-their-prices-or-raise-their-pric...

In my opinion, the topic and question by the OP can be answered in different ways AND is subjective based on what one is selling, where one is acquiring their inventory, etc.  In other words, without more specific details on what the OP is Selling and their business plan its just a discussion conversation with no definitive right answer.  This I think represents the wrong use of Community members picking a post as a Solution.

Regards,

Mr. L

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 66 of 74
latest reply

So if I don't get an answer and eBay wants to stop the thread they will mark it as solved?  🤔

Message 67 of 74
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

I just saw that a Solution was accepted on a thread by a Community member, link here: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/INFLATION-Does-a-Seller-lower-their-prices-or-raise-their-pric...

In my opinion, the topic and question by the OP can be answered in different ways AND is subjective based on what one is selling, where one is acquiring their inventory, etc.  In other words, without more specific details on what the OP is Selling and their business plan its just a discussion conversation with no definitive right answer.  This I think represents the wrong use of Community members picking a post as a Solution.

Regards,

Mr. L

Hi again sheila@ebay  ... I wanted to add this bullet point quote from the OP on this thread

"We're staying out of opinion based posts or posts seeking general advice. "

The thread I refer to has nothing to do with eBay Polices and is indeed an opinion based topic.  I could site more than one example (as could others) where the Solution accepted does not apply.

Regards,

Mr. L

Regards,
Message 68 of 74
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

Regards,

Mr. L

Hi again sheila@ebay  ... I wanted to add this bullet point quote from the OP on this thread

"We're staying out of opinion based posts or posts seeking general advice. "

The thread I refer to has nothing to do with eBay Polices and is indeed an opinion based topic.  I could site more than one example (as could others) where the Solution accepted does not apply.

Regards,

Mr. L

You're right @mr_lincoln that's an opinion. I've removed the solution and will reeducate the team. Thanks for pointing this out to me.

Sheila
Community Manager
eBay
Message 69 of 74
latest reply

@natoman777 wrote:

So if I don't get an answer and eBay wants to stop the thread they will mark it as solved?  🤔

Selecting a solution does not automatically lock the thread.

If eBay staff or the moderators want to lock a thread, they can just lock it, as a process separate from  selecting a solution.

Message 70 of 74
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

If eBay staff or the moderators want to lock a thread, they can just lock it, as a process separate from  selecting a solution.

All true; however, frequently the selection of a solution effectively ends any further discourse on a thread. Often people see that the thread has been solved and don't even bother to read it--just pass over it in favor of the thread for which a selection has not been chosen.

Message 71 of 74
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

All true; however, frequently the selection of a solution effectively ends any further discourse on a thread. Often people see that the thread has been solved and don't even bother to read it--just pass over it in favor of the thread for which a selection has not been chosen.

Agreed @pburn , unless the subject is something I am interested in from a learning standpoint I pass over it ... 

Mr. L

Regards,
Message 72 of 74
latest reply

sheila@ebay 

This is another thread where it would be nice to know who selected the solution.

seller blocked conversation not full refund. 

A Community Team member was the very first person to reply to the OP's thread, and that is also the post that was selected as the solution.

As the thread played out, the solution was revealed to be incorrect.  (See the OP's Message #13.) The original post was somewhat vague, and it was only after several experienced members asked some direct, probing questions that the facts of the OP's situation were discovered. Would it perhaps be more productive if Community Team members refrained from those kinds of posts until all of the relevant information has been forthcoming?

If the OP chose the solution, so be it; however, if the Community Team member chose the solution, it should be deselected.

Message 73 of 74
latest reply

sheila@ebay 

The Community Team member involved in the above post has responded with a justification on the linked thread . . . I don't necessarily agree the situation will play out like that in practice, but that will remain to be seen.

Message 74 of 74
latest reply