cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why are you selling it

this is being talked about right now on another topic and it just makes me feel weird

took me all of 30 seconds to find it. I knew I kept on seeing it

any thoughts?Screenshot (49).png

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: why are you selling it

@maxine*j wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

It's really easy to read too much into this.

Sure.  And doing so provides a nice break from rants about fees, and shadow banning, and throttling, and account suspension conspiracies, and people having the vapors over 1099s, and the like.  Sometimes contemplating minutiae is quite relaxing. 

-

It's certainly a daily sport here.

ETA: We get granular.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 31 of 40
latest reply

The real answer is "None of your business."

Message 32 of 40
latest reply

@maxine*j On an unrelated note...I have a good friend who lives in Gnawbone, IN. 🙂 I truly laughed out loud when I saw your reference.

-C

Message 33 of 40
latest reply

For the love of money 💰 🤑 💸 😍 Q the Bone Thug 🎶 🎵 Music!

Message 34 of 40
latest reply

I got one... how about if I want you to know my business I will tell you.

Message 35 of 40
latest reply

It definitely seems that way,  depending on what you are selling it is entirely appropriate.

Let's say you have something that you are selling and you tell buyers how your barely used (or not at all) item is just fabulous.

Buyers might wonder, if it's so great why are you selling it?

The answer might be "because I bought two but only ever use one" or "it's a great xxx but I'm selling it because I don't have space to store it" or "I thought it would work for me but it doesn't match well with my decor".

These suggestions for eBay are probably intended for casual sellers selling stuff they bought to use but never did or they found a similar items they prefer. Or perhaps they are selling something like a computer component they are selling at a relatively low price, buyers can be suspicious and wonder if maybe there is something wrong with it.

These suggestions from eBay are just that, suggestions and they might be helpful in place of a description that only says "great condition, see pictures". If you already know how to sell maybe you don't need eBay's suggestions but plenty of sellers here could use the help to create more attractive listings.

There is nothing wrong with trying to engage potential buyers, the longer they stay on your listing page the more likely they are to buy.

Message 36 of 40
latest reply

What is this, Shark Tank? I'm not investing in your company. I don't need your whole life story about why you're selling a used pencil sharpener.

Message 37 of 40
latest reply

I've done that before, generally with stuff of my own I'm selling - books and some clothing.  Since I'm a small personal seller I figure periodically I might add something - generally it's a sentence or two. With DVDs I add more (not using the canned descriptions here since I can do better) - one person was actually writing me asking when I'd have the next installment of one particular series I was selling lol - I'd shoot a message when I had it running.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 38 of 40
latest reply

Incorrect. When buying used items, it’s important to know if they upgraded, (so it’s probably fine), we’re trying to fix it and gave up(probably very messed up), or some other reason (feels underpowdered or whatever the case may be)

matters a lot for that type of thing, if I see a dirt bike etc for sale used (more on facebook but just for the example) and it’s working, the difference between upgraded and “couldn’t dial it” is massive, and sure sellers can lie and make up whatever they want, but it does matter and is not “non of your business” when it applies

not every sale does the buyer need to know, but if it’s beneficial, then they should.

Message 39 of 40
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

The real answer is "None of your business."

That may be your "real" answer, but not for me.

Personally, I am happy to share with buyers why I no longer want an item.

Especially if I can make up a story to secure a sale.

Message 40 of 40
latest reply