cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why are you selling it

this is being talked about right now on another topic and it just makes me feel weird

took me all of 30 seconds to find it. I knew I kept on seeing it

any thoughts?Screenshot (49).png

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 1 of 40
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

why are you selling it

I saw it too and thought that was a silly suggestion.   I don't think "because it makes my butt look big" will help my listings.   It's like an old school thing to think most items are the personal property of the seller so people need to know why you no longer want it.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

why are you selling it

Obviously  the only answer is to make money. That's why you sell anything on a selling platform. Otherwise, we would simply throw it away, or donate it. And nowadays, it's only a few handful of things that are worth selling.

But besides being incredibly insulting to my intelligence, it's also cathartic. Why am I selling it? Why even bother? Why bother going through the trouble of listing this, only to make a $2 net profit? Back in the day, if I bought something for $10, sold it for $20, I could expect to make a nice $8 profit. Small profit, but worth it. Now I'm lucky if I make $2 on that same $20 sale. Ebay also had made lisying so difficult that the amount of effort and energy I put into listing it is more than $2 worth. And now I have to pay taxes on that $2. Why am I selling it? 

Thanks ebay for giving me yet another unnecessary existential crisis.

Message 2 of 40
latest reply

why are you selling it

$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

Message 3 of 40
latest reply

why are you selling it

I saw it too and thought that was a silly suggestion.   I don't think "because it makes my butt look big" will help my listings.   It's like an old school thing to think most items are the personal property of the seller so people need to know why you no longer want it.

Message 4 of 40
latest reply

why are you selling it

@yesterdaysrepublic wrote:

Obviously  the only answer is to make money.

I do not think that is "obviously the only answer". A lot of people lose money on items they sell on eBay. That is a common question asked of people selling used items.

• I received a second one as a gift
  • I only needed to use it once
  • I inherited it
  • I bought the wrong item
  • My child doesn't use it any more
  • I found another one that works better
  • It no longer suits my needs
  • etc.

Message 5 of 40
latest reply

why are you selling it

"I'm not selling this until someone buys it."

Message 6 of 40
latest reply

why are you selling it

Gen Z (or whichever one is the Gen Du Jour) likes "stories" behind the items they buy (especially vintage, etc). 

So:

Old "over the sofa" framed print. We're moving, yet again, and we need the money, so we're finally selling this old eyesore.

OR:

This beautiful framed print has hung over our sofa since we began housekeeping years ago, and has made the move with us every time we moved, but now that the kids are gone, we're moving to a smaller place, and there simply is no room for the sofa or the print, and we want to ensure this will find a new home, where it will be treasured as we treasured it....

Depending on the buyer, either one might be effective.

Message 7 of 40
latest reply

why are you selling it

I avoid sellers who tell me their personal stories or stories about when they obtained the item, what they did with it, why they're selling it now, and on and so on.  

I avoid them because I figure I'm dealing with someone who does not have a professional mind-set.  That means there may be problems with the details in the listing itself and, quite likely, there will be problems if something goes awry in the transaction.

But that's just me, and I'm telling you only because you asked.  🙂

Note:  ("Personal story" not to be confused with legitimate provenance; e.g., "I bought this directly from the artist in 1973 at his studio in Gnawbone, Indiana, and include the receipt with the painting.)

-

Message 8 of 40
latest reply

why are you selling it

You are missing the point. It is a tip for writing a description because not everyone describes what they are selling for the buyer. Sometimes all I see is a repeat of the title. No mention of any flaws, no mention of features, size or whatever. The tip stated "and/or" so it is not required to state why you are selling it unless you want to as long as you provide a description of the item.

Pictures alone don't always give the buyer what they need to know, so the description is the place to point out what might not be noticed in pictures. Zooming in on pictures only works to a point. If the picture is not a close-up in the first place, then zooming in doesn't give enough detail.

Remember to look at your listing from the buyer's point of view. Why would a potential buyer want to purchase my item instead of someone else's? Don't kid yourself: selling is hard work, especially online where the buyer cannot see, feel or touch the item in person. They are relying on the quality of your photos and description as well as your reputation for purchasing your item. 

Message 9 of 40
latest reply

why are you selling it

@1tuna 

It looks very etsy-ish...🙄

Message 10 of 40
latest reply

why are you selling it

@luckythewinner wrote:

@yesterdaysrepublic wrote:

Obviously  the only answer is to make money.

I do not think that is "obviously the only answer". A lot of people lose money on items they sell on eBay. That is a common question asked of people selling used items.

• I received a second one as a gift
  • I only needed to use it once
  • I inherited it
  • I bought the wrong item
  • My child doesn't use it any more
  • I found another one that works better
  • It no longer suits my needs
  • etc.

Which all lead back to "I'm selling it to make money". Otherwise, even with all your reasons, it would be given away or thrown away. ANYTHING for sale is because the seller does not want the "thing" for themselves. They put it up for sale, because they would rather have money than the "thing". 

When you are selling something, it's ALWAYS because you want money. There is no other real reason to sell something. All your listed reasons are justifications for selling it, not the reason, 

Message 11 of 40
latest reply

why are you selling it

@maxine*j 

Like I have always said...it's business, not personal.

Hope you are well...😉

Message 12 of 40
latest reply

why are you selling it

@linda7913 wrote:

You are missing the point. It is a tip for writing a description because not everyone describes what they are selling for the buyer...  Pictures alone don't always give the buyer what they need to know... Remember to look at your listing from the buyer's point of view...

Everything you say is absolutely right. 

But I think OP's only point is to question the suggestion to include "why you are selling it" as part of the description.  OP probably thinks, as I do, that it can lead people into the realm of personal yarns, which can be anything from unnecessary to downright cringe-making.

-

Message 13 of 40
latest reply

why are you selling it

@ckimodog wrote:

@maxine*j 

Like I have always said...it's business, not personal.

Hope you are well...😉

Exactly.  I particularly avoid listings which say an item is being sold because of illness, hospitalization, death, financial crisis, local public emergency, forced move to another location.

I am not unsympathetic, nor unempathetic, having been through all those things myself.  But I well remember how distracted I was during those times and I figure the seller will be, too; hence, unreliable.

-

Message 14 of 40
latest reply

why are you selling it

It's nobody's business, other than yourself, why an item is being sold.

Message 15 of 40
latest reply