cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"See full item description" Button

The "See full item description" button is one of the worst ideas eBay has ever implemented. I am a top rated seller and have been ever since the program was introduced. Part of what makes me a top rated seller is my big, beautiful pictures and my complete descriptions of what is included and what the condition of the item is. Now all of that is hidden and prospective buyers need to click another button to see the full description. I would be willing to bet that that button does not get clicked by over half the people that view the listing and that most of those that do not click it either do not see it or have no idea what it is for. I would also not be at all surprised if eBay sees a sharp increase in the number of item not as received cases because you are hiding the seller’s description of that item from prospective buyers. Let’s just put it in terms that management should be paying attention to: more item not as described cases means more man hours devoted to resolving these cases which in turn leads to more labor cost for eBay. Further, an increased number of item not as received cases leads to an increased number of buyers who had a bad experience on eBay and are therefore less likely to return to eBay. Less traffic leads to fewer bids which leads to lower final sales prices which leads to lower revenue for eBay from final value fees. So by hiding seller’s descriptions of the item they are selling from prospective buyers eBay is effectively raising the company's overall operating cost while lowering overall revenue.

Sellers please take a few minutes to let eBay know that you think this is a really bad idea and that it should be done away with. To by-pass all the misleading "Contact Us" links and send your message to someone who will actually read it please copy and paste the following into your browser's address window:

http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ContactUs&wftype=2004&rcode=GS=CU0751&subject=Suggestions+a... us

Message 1 of 195
latest reply
194 REPLIES 194

I understand the angst........but every site I go on........Az, walmart, target etc.........I have to click something to get complete  information about an item I'm looking at..........

Message 2 of 195
latest reply

Pretty much agree but there's many topics that will be visited before this one.

Message 3 of 195
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

I understand the angst........but every site I go on........Az, walmart, target etc.........I have to click something to get complete  information about an item I'm looking at..........

But on those sites when I click a button to see information I am not presented with the ugly page that I'm seeing on a computer with a huge monitor like this test at eBay. Did no one in their tech people ever look to see what this would look like on a computer? Or do they just assume everyone is now looking at eBay on their sillyphones?

Message 4 of 195
latest reply

ABSOLUTELY AGREE!!

One of worst ideas ever to make someone click for item details and description.  They tried this in 2015 and it was a disaster and they recinded this.  Bad for buyers and and even worse for sellers, and will vastly increase bad buying experiences and people leaving EBAY, which is not good for anybody including EBAY stockholders and employees.

I already complianed when it happened a couple nights ago, and EBAY reps knew nothing about it, but could see it in Explorer, but not chrome.  I see it in Chrome, but not Explorer.  They told me no one knew it was happening and must be a beta bug???  I know it was never announced, it just happened, and is inconsistent between browsers.  HORRIBLE!!

Needs to be fixed or recinded ASAP!!!

Message 5 of 195
latest reply

I might understand this horrible idea of making someone click a small little button for details if an item is in the "new" category like if buying on amazon, or Lowes, etc like someone mentioned, but for items in a New-other, refurbished, parts category this is a disaster!!!!

Also in the process the sellers store banner on the ads front page (that they pay for) is gone as well as the banner for seaching by item category in the sellers store.  

There really is no way to explian just how bad this idea is and as of this morning, EBAY customer service is still calling this a bug (3 day bug now).  They tried to suggest it was that I had active content when I first called 3 days ago, but they checked and I didn't, and it didn't matter whose ads I looked at.  My ads and ones I search look normal in Internet Explorer on my laptop, but in chrome they look  like nasty mobile views on a big screen, and you have to click for descriptions to learn anything about the product.  EBAY rep says he saw just the opposite, fine in Chrome on his desktop, but messed up in Intenet Explorer.  He screen shotted and sent to EBAY tech support and promised to call me back within 72 hours, but never heard back.

Message 6 of 195
latest reply

One of the worst ideas ever. Not only does it send you to another page that page doesn't have any of the original information!

Message 7 of 195
latest reply

We could even take it one step further and say that they are breaking an agreement with the sellers by changing the description of a item. eBay instructs us to give a complete and full description of a item or customers can request refunds if it does not match, but the short description above the Full Description button has been clipped and mangled from radom sections of our description and there is no way it would match your product. If a customer says the item does not match the description eBay rearranged and retyped then they are responsible for the refund not the seller.

Message 8 of 195
latest reply

I am not a seller but as a buyer I can tell you I absolutely hate it. I must have clicked that d4mn button a thousand times today.
Message 9 of 195
latest reply

As both a buyer and a seller...this is horrendous.  It will definitely slow down or make me loose interest in my buying that is for certain...

Message 10 of 195
latest reply

Just because other sites have similar broken mechanisms doesn't make it right.

Maybe this works for people on phones, but all it does on computers and tablets is make it more likely buyers are going to miss crucial data about their purchases.
Message 11 of 195
latest reply

I have to agree that this will have a chilling effect on my listing sales. If I can't be certain buyers are seeing critical details of a used item, it just sets me up as a seller to have requests for item returns, disputes, and unhappy customers.

All for a click through button that in no way improves the clarity of listings.
Message 12 of 195
latest reply

@rottgrub wrote:
Just because other sites have similar broken mechanisms doesn't make it right.

Maybe this works for people on phones, but all it does on computers and tablets is make it more likely buyers are going to miss crucial data about their purchases.

I didn't say it was a good idea....I personally hate it on other sites........but my point is that I and other buyers have learned to deal with "more information" links............so I don't think it's the disaster people are potraying it to be.  IF it sticks........because of the discrepanies with browsers, I'm still not sure that it isn't a glitch...........

Message 13 of 195
latest reply

@plumtree.ltd wrote:

The "See full item description" button is one of the worst ideas eBay has ever implemented. I am a top rated seller and have been ever since the program was introduced. Part of what makes me a top rated seller is my big, beautiful pictures and my complete descriptions of what is included and what the condition of the item is. Now all of that is hidden and prospective buyers need to click another button to see the full description. I would be willing to bet that that button does not get clicked by over half the people that view the listing and that most of those that do not click it either do not see it or have no idea what it is for. I would also not be at all surprised if eBay sees a sharp increase in the number of item not as received cases because you are hiding the seller’s description of that item from prospective buyers. Let’s just put it in terms that management should be paying attention to: more item not as described cases means more man hours devoted to resolving these cases which in turn leads to more labor cost for eBay. Further, an increased number of item not as received cases leads to an increased number of buyers who had a bad experience on eBay and are therefore less likely to return to eBay. Less traffic leads to fewer bids which leads to lower final sales prices which leads to lower revenue for eBay from final value fees. So by hiding seller’s descriptions of the item they are selling from prospective buyers eBay is effectively raising the company's overall operating cost while lowering overall revenue.

Sellers please take a few minutes to let eBay know that you think this is a really bad idea and that it should be done away with. To by-pass all the misleading "Contact Us" links and send your message to someone who will actually read it please copy and paste the following into your browser's address window:

http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ContactUs&wftype=2004&rcode=GS=CU0751&subject=Suggestions+a... us

It will not help. eBay just ignores us. Every time in the past that eBay has rolled out this test, it has failed, but while doing so, almost every seller on this board complained, and eBay still continued their test. 

Message 14 of 195
latest reply

This is horrible. What were they thinking?!

Message 15 of 195
latest reply