cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After Unpaid Item Case Opened I Received This Message From The Buyer

Good Morning,

I opened an Unpaid Item Case on my item # 132352004842 Monday and had a message from the buyer in my inbox this morning. This type message is a first for me and I'm not sure what to do. Thank you in advance for any suggestions/help. 

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@briggett172

First, self- report your post. You are not allowed to post anybody's information here.

Ask the mods to edit the buyers personal information out (use the three dots at the top right to "report inappropriate content")

As for the message, I would ignore it and let the UPI ride. If they really had an issue, they would have told you immediately.

This sounds like an attempt to get your PP address so that they can send a fake PayPal payment email.

And you aren't allowed to give that information in messages anyway ... because of the off-eBay sale rules.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

@briggett172

First, self- report your post. You are not allowed to post anybody's information here.

Ask the mods to edit the buyers personal information out (use the three dots at the top right to "report inappropriate content")

As for the message, I would ignore it and let the UPI ride. If they really had an issue, they would have told you immediately.

This sounds like an attempt to get your PP address so that they can send a fake PayPal payment email.

And you aren't allowed to give that information in messages anyway ... because of the off-eBay sale rules.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Normally that's a major red flag of a scammer, but you're talking about a $20 no-name necklace.  Maybe a new scammer trying out their schtick?

Don't do it though.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Sounds hinky, I would just let the UPI run its course and block buyer.  That being said, as long as the transaction is completed on ebay (it has been), you can send an invoice to paypal, (you should have the email address already under view record) and the only thing that would happen is the buyer would lose ebay buyer protection, you wil still be covered.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Thank you so much! I requested the removal of the inappropriate info in my message. I'm new to posting questions in the discussion forums. I think I will go read the guidelines for posting here.
Your answer was my gut feeling about the request from the buyer but wanted to make sure. Thanks again!
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Always good to go with your gut feeling.  As a seller it's hard to fight the urge to chase the sale, but sometimes it's better just to call it even and start over.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@jklfindings wrote:

Sounds hinky, I would just let the UPI run its course and block buyer.  That being said, as long as the transaction is completed on ebay (it has been), you can send an invoice to paypal, (you should have the email address already under view record) and the only thing that would happen is the buyer would lose ebay buyer protection, you wil still be covered.

jk, I am going to respectfully disagree here ... sending a separate PayPal invoice that is not part of the original transaction (not through eBay invoices) is the very definition of an off ebay sale.

If the OP sends a PP invoice, it will NOT be tied to the eBay transaction, eBay doesn't get their FVF.

And the seller can get suspended (just read some recent posts)  ... so, yes, there are other things besides the buyer losing MBG that can happen here 😞

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

If the transaction is completed through ebay (it has been since the UPI is opened), and the seller marks the item as paid, then ebay gets thier fees.  This wouldnt be completing the sale off ebay.  Same as a money order being sent.  Now if the seller accepted payment and canceled the transaction, that would of course be an issue.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

I wouldn't do anything if I were you. I would let eBay do its job and punish the buyer for the unpaid item.

I see two plausible reasons for asking you for your PayPal acc. address:

1. As it has already been mentioned, it seems like he (they) is/are going to send you fake e-mail with "the transaction confirmation". It's more plausible, and (sigh...) more relevant situation.

2. He/they ask your PayPal acc. and when he/they will get it will try to get an access to it. I think you understand the result of these actions... This could lead to the loss of control on your PayPal and you could probably lose your money from it.

I wish it was just a misapprehension and the buyer actually can't send you money, but there are a lot of scamers and thieves these days.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Thank you!
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@jklfindings wrote:

If the transaction is completed through ebay (it has been since the UPI is opened), and the seller marks the item as paid, then ebay gets thier fees.  This wouldnt be completing the sale off ebay.  Same as a money order being sent.  Now if the seller accepted payment and canceled the transaction, that would of course be an issue.

The "buyer" is saying that they can't pay through the eBay genersted invoice. They are asking for a new invoice though PayPal.

Without an actual payment, the OP does not have the real PayPal info ... only an email address that the "buyer" has given. They have no idea whether that addy is tied to a PP account or not 😞

Any invoice sent through PP, therefore, would not be tied to the original transaction.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

@jklfindings wrote:

jk, I am going to respectfully disagree here ... sending a separate PayPal invoice that is not part of the original transaction (not through eBay invoices) is the very definition of an off ebay sale.

If the OP sends a PP invoice, it will NOT be tied to the eBay transaction, eBay doesn't get their FVF.

And the seller can get suspended (just read some recent posts)  ... so, yes, there are other things besides the buyer losing MBG that can happen here 😞

They'd get their fvf on the item price. Not the shipping price   A blue I think Trinton said this was ok to do if for some reason the buy couldn't pay through  eBay   I still wouldn't do it though.  

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Thank you everyone for the awesome and lightning fast responses! Have an awesome day!
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

it's simple... THEY need to call paypal and get THEIR account fixed...

YOU, do the upi case as normal....YOU follow the ebay procedure, or you will find out the hard way if this is a good idea to do...

just say sorry, but they need to fix and correct anything with ebay/paypal on their account.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

@jklfindings wrote:

They'd get their fvf on the item price. Not the shipping price   A blue I think Trinton said this was ok to do if for some reason the buy couldn't pay through  eBay   I still wouldn't do it though.  

All I can see happening here is a big slap for doing an off ebay sale ... And the OP might just get a warning because the buyer put an email address in messages ... Wasn't there a thread about that just a day or two ago? I think it was Abe? And oddities is just coming off of a suspension 😞

Message 15 of 17
latest reply