cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"See full item description" Button

The "See full item description" button is one of the worst ideas eBay has ever implemented. I am a top rated seller and have been ever since the program was introduced. Part of what makes me a top rated seller is my big, beautiful pictures and my complete descriptions of what is included and what the condition of the item is. Now all of that is hidden and prospective buyers need to click another button to see the full description. I would be willing to bet that that button does not get clicked by over half the people that view the listing and that most of those that do not click it either do not see it or have no idea what it is for. I would also not be at all surprised if eBay sees a sharp increase in the number of item not as received cases because you are hiding the seller’s description of that item from prospective buyers. Let’s just put it in terms that management should be paying attention to: more item not as described cases means more man hours devoted to resolving these cases which in turn leads to more labor cost for eBay. Further, an increased number of item not as received cases leads to an increased number of buyers who had a bad experience on eBay and are therefore less likely to return to eBay. Less traffic leads to fewer bids which leads to lower final sales prices which leads to lower revenue for eBay from final value fees. So by hiding seller’s descriptions of the item they are selling from prospective buyers eBay is effectively raising the company's overall operating cost while lowering overall revenue.

Sellers please take a few minutes to let eBay know that you think this is a really bad idea and that it should be done away with. To by-pass all the misleading "Contact Us" links and send your message to someone who will actually read it please copy and paste the following into your browser's address window:

http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ContactUs&wftype=2004&rcode=GS=CU0751&subject=Suggestions+a... us

Message 1 of 195
latest reply
194 REPLIES 194

Sorry survey didn't work.  You can call Customer Service directly from EBay home page.  You can bring up topic on community board.  You can revise the way you put it and bring up similar topic.  Keep at it.  If you look there are egads of recent replys.  There is a couple of names/groups.  One as alan.  One is Triton (sp?).  You can answer a reply with your information and mention a similar dissatisfaction with what EBay is doing....   You will find community members will reply to your post.  I took survey this morning.  For some reason it did not go through.  Giving up is NOT allowed.  scream

Message 181 of 195
latest reply

Survey popup just showed. Maybe what I have to say this time will stick; i.e., get sent.
Message 182 of 195
latest reply

Oh, numbers at bottom of page can be moved from 1 to 10+ to get to more recent replies. Try it.
Message 183 of 195
latest reply

It's too costly for all concerned - energy, time, money. 😞 Whose the accountant in eBay. Losers??? Ahem, No Giving Up Allowed!
Message 184 of 195
latest reply

From what I understand it's a trial thing (Full description button) to be used.  I often go to sellers that have a lot of descriptions, others that have a "shortened" format which is awful.  You can give your input to EBay with pop-up coming up to see how satisfied you are. 

I would read any communication posts from this year to see if you can find help to deal with it.

I know a lot of frustration is being voiced by sellers.  Some of them ready to leave EBay and find another venue to sell their items.

I think it was tried befor in  2015.  You will probably see posts from that year. 

Wish I could help more.  Can any other seller post on this Full Item Description issue that can help get EBay to back off?  Please advise me and voltarea?  We are listening!

Message 185 of 195
latest reply

The explanation for the "Full Description" button was announced on Aug 23: Stronger Browser Security Standards Ahead. It WAS a test, but it had to be tested because it has to go live in a couple of months. BUT, it won't affect all sellers, and sellers can avoid it by taking steps now.

eBay held a Community Chat today to explain this and answer questions about it (now closed):

Community Chat, Aug 29th @ 1pm PT - Stronger Browser Security Standards

From the announcement (click the top link above for more info):

Starting in October 2017, Google Chrome—the browser used by almost half of all eBay buyers—will begin displaying the message “Not Secure” in the address window when users visit standard HTTP pages, and HTTPS pages that include nonsecure HTTP content. eBay believes that the “Not Secure” message may deter shoppers from buying and impact your conversion rate. eBay is taking steps to make sure that your buyers won’t see this message and can access your listings securely.

To prevent the “Not Secure” message from deterring buyers, here's how we are changing the experience:

• If your listings contain HTTP content and your buyer is on a desktop, buyers will see a snippet of the description and a link to click for the full description. If you want your listings to show the complete item description, you will need to remove HTTP content from your listings.

• as long as you don't include unsecure content (served by an HTTP server), your listings will NOT have the "Full Description" button when the change goes live.

• there are tools available to check your listings, and they are working on more & improved tools

Message 186 of 195
latest reply

@jump.for.joy wrote:

The explanation for the "Full Description" button was announced on Aug 23: Stronger Browser Security Standards Ahead. It WAS a test, but it had to be tested because it has to go live in a couple of months. BUT, it won't affect all sellers, and sellers can avoid it by taking steps now.

eBay held a Community Chat today to explain this and answer questions about it (now closed):

Community Chat, Aug 29th @ 1pm PT - Stronger Browser Security Standards

From the announcement (click the top link above for more info):

Starting in October 2017, Google Chrome—the browser used by almost half of all eBay buyers—will begin displaying the message “Not Secure” in the address window when users visit standard HTTP pages, and HTTPS pages that include nonsecure HTTP content. eBay believes that the “Not Secure” message may deter shoppers from buying and impact your conversion rate. eBay is taking steps to make sure that your buyers won’t see this message and can access your listings securely.

To prevent the “Not Secure” message from deterring buyers, here's how we are changing the experience:

• If your listings contain HTTP content and your buyer is on a desktop, buyers will see a snippet of the description and a link to click for the full description. If you want your listings to show the complete item description, you will need to remove HTTP content from your listings.

• as long as you don't include unsecure content (served by an HTTP server), your listings will NOT have the "Full Description" button when the change goes live.

• there are tools available to check your listings, and they are working on more & improved tools

That only addresses one case where the 'See Fool Description' button shows. 

This idea is ridiculous, the whole idea of clicking the listing is to seem more detail.

Whats more I cannot even see the price in the full description.

Please change immediately.

Who's great idea was that?

Pulpo

Message 188 of 195
latest reply

Have just found this feed as I've now discovered since I had done a new listing yesterday, that I too now have that button on one of my listings.

Does any one know why or even if it can be changed as my other listings that I haven't modified/updated yet do not have it!

Sorry if there's an answer in all the messages - don't have time to read ALL of them 🙂

TIA

Dori

KKD

Message 189 of 195
latest reply

Ok, an update on my message just sent here.  I've just cleared my cache and low and behold I no longer see the 'see item description' button. Yay!

But ... why ...?  Yesterday I saw something about http vs https - external linking, that is, for images etc.  I have external links for my template banner and images which are stored on my server.  Updated to an SSL certificate which now means I have my images stored on an https rather than http (secured vs non-secured).

Hope this may help some of you...

Cheers

Dori

KKD

Message 190 of 195
latest reply

Spoiler
This hide item description destroys all the impact and saleabilty of the item.
Remove this change immediately before all your sellers go elsewhere.
Message 191 of 195
latest reply

This "feature" is killing me! Since my description contains html the plain text description teaser is removing spaces between bold phrases and makes my listing look like some illiterate wrote it. Now I need to go into dozens of listings and reformat in a way that makes this nonsense readable.

This wasn't a problem on my listings up until yesterday, no clue why and at this point I really don't care. I won't be renewing my store with them! If anyone has a link to a survey please post.
Message 192 of 195
latest reply

This feature is very disruptive.   They (Ebay) are doing it with used books as well.  Seems to be random sellers chosen to this new Full item Description.   A new thing also, if you haven't noticed is when you want to ask a question about an item to seller, where to ask a question spot is missing.  Instead there is an area to ask your question to any member of the community!

You will get emails with answers by different sellers/buyers!  Now how that would help your question get answered to the particular seller for item you want to buy is beyond me... 

When you hit community to reach this site sometimes a window pops up asking you to take a survey about how successful you were in resolving your issue.  Have you ever seen it?  That is where you hit Yes.  After your visit to community is done,  the survey should appear. Voila!  Complain, complain, complain.

About your question, there is a Community Team Member, nc-daydreamer, who is very involved with this issue.   If you go through the answers on this topic and her name appears, look into that answer and ask her what to do by asking her your question.  She is a very, very,  knowledgeable seller about this entire detestable subject.  Many sellers are voicing their dislike and want it taken off and traditional format returned.

Also you can go through her posts on the Full Item Description Button.

Let me know how you make out!  Later!

Message 193 of 195
latest reply

My question is WHY EBAY WHY?

How can this be any kind of improvement?

Hiding what the listing says can't be good for the buyer or seller!

Reminds me of a politician that said we had to buy into it before we could read it. . . (health care bill)

Are the extra clicks for Wall Street? To show that eBay is doing good?

Because it sure isn't for your members benefit!

Message 194 of 195
latest reply

Hi everyone, 

We set up a dedicated staff thread on this topic. If you have questions or concerns, please post on the following thread: 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Stronger-Browser-Security-Standards-HTTPS/td-p/27628763

As this thread contains outdated information, I will close it for new replies to avoid confusion. 

Thanks!

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 195 of 195
latest reply