cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"IN TRANSIT ARRIVING LATE" Is This A New Postal Service?

What going on with the Post Office?  For the second time this month I have been notified by a buyer that the item has not arrived.  When I check Tracking, it says "IN TRANSIT ARRIVING LATE".

This does not sit well with the buyers and once I give the package to the Post Office, I as with all Sellers, have no control over it.

Where does eBay's buyer or Seller protection come in?

The first package did finally arrive and I even got some positive feedback.  The second is still IN TRANSIT, for about 9 days.

When I asked at the local Post Office, the clerk said that Media Mail now goes by truck and if there is no room, it waits until there is.  It this some kind of attempt to force sellers to use Priority mail?

If I do what I am supposed to do and the buyer does what they are supposed to do, them eBay should be responsible for any cancelled sales of items not delivered.  eBay is who guaranteed delivery by a certain time, not I.

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Even if you're not in the GD program, if you have Fast-N-Free listings, ebay automatically uses the verbiage "Guaranteed Delivery By.."
I had to ask about this because I am also not opted IN to the GD program. It's automatic on FnF listings, ebay is the one making the guarantee (not the seller). The problem is that the buyer does not know this and the verbiage that ebay uses doesn't clarify that the SELLER is not making the guarantee.
I let ebay know that, although they think they are doing favors for both buyer and seller by taking these liberties and guaranteeing services that ebay does not provide, it does actually create an "unpleasant buying experience" when buyers have high expectations on something that is not indicated by the seller, but of course the seller gets blamed, the buyer leaves ebay because they are tired of getting "screwed by sellers", and there's that. Ebay is chasing away the buyer base, and it shows. I told them this is backfiring, and there's plenty of evidence of that. The rep agreed and forwarded the ticket to the "higher ups". Whether or not they will actually listen to the people paying the fees is anyone's guess.
Message 31 of 46
latest reply

@ dazzlecity
Buyer confusion is brought about by eBay's verbiage. They guarantee delivery whether the seller does or not, but they do not distinguish that to buyers, so the buyer blames seller, seller takes brunt of anger, buyer leaves ebay to go fishing at the river because ebay has mimicked the river so much that buyers figure, why shop here when they can get it at the river. Ebay is no longer unique, it's just a place where dishonest people can more easily get things for little to no cost.
Message 32 of 46
latest reply

I've had this message appear on 2 out of 5 Items I've recently bought. All were shipping first class. 

I thought the message was great. The post office is just telling me "don't worry, be happy... its on the way!" and what is wrong with that? I didn't percevie it as a problem for the seller, its obviously a snag in the post office and I'd rather they say that than nothing and it just arrives 2 days late. 

I'm not sure why any buyers would be upset about this? There's been weird weather around the states, flooding in areas, its just a head up for the buyer and I appreciate that -- both as being a buyer and as a seller. (I haven't had any complaints on it from my buyers either. )

Message 33 of 46
latest reply

I will repeat it again:

Anybody, Ebay, buyers, whoever thinking that we the sellers that put the box or envelope in the very hands of the postal office/Fedex/UPS/DHL are responsible for their negligence need a brain tune up. 

I paid Priority Mail expecting the package to be there in 2 days to surprise my buyer. They lots it for almost 10 days!

Apr 17, 2019
12:41pm
Delivered
LOS ANGELES, CA 90065

Apr 17, 2019
12:41pm
DELIVERED
LOS ANGELES, 90065

Apr 10, 2019   <------------------------Here, they had it, they lost it. It's the zip code it was to be delivered.
19:42pm
Arrived at USPS Facility
LOS ANGELES, CA 90065
Apr 10, 2019

09:21am
Out for Delivery
LOS ANGELES, CA 90065
Apr 10, 2019

09:11am
Sorting Complete
LOS ANGELES, CA 90065
Apr 9, 2019

12:39pm
Arrived at Unit
LOS ANGELES, CA 90065
Apr 8, 2019

01:25am
Departed USPS Regional Destination Facility
LOS ANGELES CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Apr 8, 2019

01:21am
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
LOS ANGELES CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Apr 7, 2019

00:00am
In Transit to Next Facility

Apr 6, 2019

19:38pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
SAN JOSE CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Apr 6, 2019

18:23pm
Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
SAN JOSE, CA 95116
Apr 6, 2019
09:44am PDT
Tracking number provided

latest reply

It puts an idea into the buyer's head that wasn't there before.

When I track a purchase I just watch the progress to  see when it shows out for delivery so I can expect it. 

If you don't tell me it's late, I don't think about it.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 35 of 46
latest reply

@findinginds888

I wish all buyers could be as understanding and knowledgeable as you are about how this all works! Unfortunately, many buyers aren't, because they do not take the time to read fine print or details for that matter, or even be able to reason that the seller is not in control of a package once it leaves their possession.
Much of this has to do with ebay's wording and placement of that wording). Heck, many buyers do not even know what the MBG is, let alone tracking and Estimated delivery times.
The one guy a couple weeks ago actually blamed me for getting that message on tracking. Not ebay, not the post office. He blamed me, even though tracking showed that I shipped before my handling time (within several hours of purchase, actually - what more could I possibly do except deliver it myself - lol). He said "it is guaranteed". I did not even know ebay put it on my listing until he and a couple others mentioned "guarantee".

You are an honest and intelligent buyer, and I wish they were all like you!
Message 36 of 46
latest reply

@tracdea1 wrote:
@findinginds888

I wish all buyers could be as understanding and knowledgeable as you are about how this all works! Unfortunately, many buyers aren't, because they do not take the time to read fine print or details for that matter, or even be able to reason that the seller is not in control of a package once it leaves their possession.
Much of this has to do with ebay's wording and placement of that wording). Heck, many buyers do not even know what the MBG is, let alone tracking and Estimated delivery times.
The one guy a couple weeks ago actually blamed me for getting that message on tracking. Not ebay, not the post office. He blamed me, even though tracking showed that I shipped before my handling time (within several hours of purchase, actually - what more could I possibly do except deliver it myself - lol). He said "it is guaranteed". I did not even know ebay put it on my listing until he and a couple others mentioned "guarantee".

You are an honest and intelligent buyer, and I wish they were all like you!

Maybe, just maybe, the PO is finding out that they cannot keep up with trying to do fast deliveries.  Fast deliveries that other companies guarantee.

Granted the PO advertises quick delivery is so many days, but, honestly, how can that be realistic?   In every business there is a glitch here or a glitch there that causes some issues.

A holdup in just one office can back mail up for two or three days down the line.  A large volume of mail at one time, for example, Christmas, can throw deliveries off for two weeks or more.

The consumer has been demanding quicker service from almost all on-line companies but there is just so much that any shipping company can do to fulfill that demand.

On-line companies such as E-bay and the river have fed into that demand for quicker service.  You know, like the guaranteed delivery and then those companies expect the shipping companies to meet those guarantees.

For me the bottom line is:  There are so few things bought on-line that would translate to a life or death situation, that expecting and demanding quick shipping for most items teeters on the edge of ridiculous.

Impatience is becoming an epidemic in this day and age.

Of course, this is all just my opinion.

COYOTES RULE!!!

Message 37 of 46
latest reply

As a buyer, a few years back Priority mail and 1st class mail packages almost always arrived to my house within 3-4 days. The past year or two, I notice that my first class mail now takes an average of 5-7 and sometimes as long as 10 days to arrive and Priority Mail has significantly slowed down and averages 4-7 days and sometimes even as long as 8 days. I am not in the middle of nowhere and the main hub is half a mile away from me so I can't blame geography on this.

My Amazon packages delivered via USPS always arrive on time though. I have a feeling Amazon takes precedence over all other parcels and the mail is getting slower because the hubs and carriers are getting bogged down with too many packages and they do not have enough room in their mail trucks to fit it all. It's almost as if 1st class and Priority Mail are now the new Parcel Post (Parcel Select) speed and Express Mail is the new Priority Mail.  6 out of every 10 packages of mine on average has now been showing the dreaded "In Transit Arriving Late" message under tracking for me. What the hell is going on lately? Sadly, for you sellers, it only takes one or two inpatient or irrational buyers to flip out and make your lives even more stressful selling on Ebay.

Message 38 of 46
latest reply

More insult from USPS. In the last few months light under 12 oz items have been increased in price from a maximum of $3.75 in USA to $4.85. I understand rate of inflation plus a little, but up to 29% increase in last few months?

Message 39 of 46
latest reply

I want to add that a LOT of post offices are closed due to Sub zero temps from the polar vortex. USPS is actually sending those messages even if they aren't sure it will arrive late, as just a "prediction" if your close to those areas. I'm in Boston and twice received an "arriving late" update and it arrived on time. If you are near cold temps I would be wary of when your purchasing goods that shouldn't be out in the cold. Look at the forecast before buying goods that will parish outside.
Message 40 of 46
latest reply

This message is just popped  up on a package I sent to NY, media mail. I'm a new seller,  trying to establish some good reviews, especially for when I actually have a good deal of product later in the summer. My first sale, I accepted an offer. The buyer went several days without paying. I read through the forums, and decided I should open a ticket. The buyer paid, but I got no feedback on that one. 

Now, I sent a DVD. The buyer notes had a specific request for the package and said honoring that request would be "greatly appreciated." Of course, this package now shows:

• Mar 8, 2020
  • 12:00am
  • In Transit, Arriving Late

However, the top line still states: Estimated delivery Mon, Mar 9, which is today, the original delivery date.

Anyone with recent experience on how these "In Transit Arriving Late" are turning out?

Message 41 of 46
latest reply

Priority Mail isn't going much better.  I received a package from Idaho to Illinois in two days.  At the same time I mailed a PM package from my Illinois town to another three. counties over 2 hours away--it took 4 days.  I've asked USPS for some insight into how this can happen, but they don't respond.  My last five PM packages have all taken 4 days--and three were within the state.  USPS is a cluster f*** anymore (but my mailman is top notch--one of the good ones!!!).

Message 42 of 46
latest reply

buyer protection comes in after the estimated delivery date shown on the order has passed.There is no seller protction as it is not an ebay issue but an issue w carrier sekker used

It is better to know usps sees it will it is moving slower than expected and acknowledges it rather than just item disappear for days is it not?

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 43 of 46
latest reply

That sucks. You'd think they would give at least some reason. We also have a very good mailman here also. You understand how valuable that is when you go through a bad one.
Message 44 of 46
latest reply

It's definitely better to see that it is there as opposed to no explanation at all. I'm just hoping it does get there by that date shown on the order at this point, which is March 11.

That's doable as it's final destination point is only about an hour from where it is last shown having departed.
Message 45 of 46
latest reply