cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fees

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sold an item and I have get charged for 13.25% of out of state tax and shipping costs? 13.25% of my sale price should be more than enough to feed the hungry beast! I'm done selling on Ebay! Forget all the nonsense to even get paid after the sale....

Message 1 of 70
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

fees

@Anonymous wrote:

Sold an item and I have get charged for 13.25% of out of state tax and shipping costs? 13.25% of my sale price should be more than enough to feed the hungry beast! I'm done selling on Ebay! Forget all the nonsense to even get paid after the sale....

@Anonymous 

You didn't mention this in your post but you might also want to reconsider listing auction items with a reserve. In the opinion on most seasoned sellers, reserves are a waste of money. 

If you insist on auctions, just make the opening bid the least amount you're willing to let it go for in the event there's just one bid. 

It looks like your reserve was about $200 so that (previous) listing cost you an extra $15! Wouldn't it have been better just to start the bidding at $200? You probably would have made the sale the first time since it sold for more than that amount the second time around - and to the same high bidder who hadn't met the reserve the first time. 

Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 1.30.32 PM.png

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

View Best Answer in original post

Message 40 of 70
latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

fees

Hard to believe that people still jump into stuff without reviewing the policies first.

Message 2 of 70
latest reply

fees

eBay's selling fees are clearly explained and outlined in several places and ae certainly not a secret.

And what nonsense was involved in your being paid by your buyer? 

Message 3 of 70
latest reply

fees

eBay has been charging final value fee as a percentage of the buyer's entire payment, including shipping, since 2011.

Message 4 of 70
latest reply

fees

@Anonymous wrote:

Alas, apart from holding a garage sale there is no place to sell items to avoid those fees on taxes and shipping.

Message 5 of 70
latest reply

fees

I'm thankful eBay takes on the burden of collecting and distributing states sales taxes.  I had a B&M store and it was a quarterly headache.  I can't imagine the chore with 50 states. 

Message 6 of 70
latest reply

fees

You have been on eBay since 1999 and are just now becoming aware of how the fees are applied? There is a reason eBay charges FVF on shipping and you can find the answer in 100's of postings on this forum. As for the FVF on the sales tax. I have always considered the eBay FVF's on sales tax to be the best accounting bargain around. If you sell a $100 item to a buyer in a state with 8% sales tax the FVF on the $8.00 in sales tax amounts to 13.25% * $8.00 or $1.08 if you are promoting at 2% that adds another $.16 so the total FVF on the sales tax is $1.24. 

For that $1.24 eBay keeps track of the 10,000 various state, county, city, parish, municipality..... sales tax rates, and laws, and applies and collects the proper sales tax from the buyer. The sales tax percentage may also vary depending on the type of items you are selling since some states, counties, cities…. Tax different items differently. Food and clothing for example. EBay then remits those collected funds to the 45 states with sales tax laws on whatever periodic basis is required. There is NO WAY I want to take on that burden as a seller for $1.24 +/- out of a $100 sale. "

Message 7 of 70
latest reply

fees

You have not sold much lately. Good luck finding an online venue with a payment processor that does not charge FVF on the total sale price. I think those type of venues were from yesteryear. 

Posting ID
Message 8 of 70
latest reply

fees

@Anonymous wrote:

You have been here since 1999. SURELY you remember when eBay only charged FVF on the sale price. People would take a $30.00 item plus $10.00 shipping and sell it for $1.00 with $40.00 shipping. Back then there was no sales tax, but today under this circumstance sales tax would be maybe $1.00. eBay changed to the current policy to eliminate FRAUD - yes, that is what it was.

C'mon - brush the cobwebs out of your memory. Surely you understand the concept of Cause and Effect.

Message 9 of 70
latest reply

fees

Post 2,098,641 in a series...

Bet OP won't be back, either!

Message 10 of 70
latest reply

fees

If you're not interested in your payout from the sale, I'll take it off your hands.

Message 11 of 70
latest reply

fees

@Anonymous wrote:

13.25% of my sale price should be more than enough to feed the hungry beast!

It's not

Message 12 of 70
latest reply

fees

"I'm done selling on Ebay!"

Yet another eBay "departee." 
None of my competitors ever just up and quit like that, more's the pity for me.  

Happy trails to you.  

Message 13 of 70
latest reply

fees

@Anonymous wrote:

Sold an item and I have get charged for 13.25% of out of state tax and shipping costs?

So you are going to quit eBay because they charged you exactly what the published fee schedule said they would?

Message 14 of 70
latest reply

fees

Something very few sellers on eBay were required to do anyway. Considering the states that do have requirements, those numbers are $100,000 per state. So no, I’m not thanking eBay for charging me more money under the guise of somehow doing me a time-saving service. eBay just wanted more money, call it for what it is. And it will never stop. 

Message 15 of 70
latest reply