cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fees

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sold an item and I have get charged for 13.25% of out of state tax and shipping costs? 13.25% of my sale price should be more than enough to feed the hungry beast! I'm done selling on Ebay! Forget all the nonsense to even get paid after the sale....

Message 1 of 70
latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

Re: fees

@ten_o_nine wrote:

@dolcetreasures 

Not only that, but most payment processors also charge less than 4% to process payments including shipping and taxes, so really with charging 13.5% to remit state taxes, they are worse than the IRS.

And 13.5% on shipping, so if you have to ship an item for $10, you have to pay eBay $1.35, Ridicules.

Most of the answers here seem to be like putting lipstick on a pig.

You have a point about Payment processors and the percentage on sales tax, but not shipping.  All other sites like Ebay charge their full FVF on shipping and have done so long before Ebay started doing it.

FYI it is 13.25%.

At some point you would think sellers would get over the FVF on shipping.  It is an OLD OLD subject and it is standard in the industry too.  That is a FACT, not "lipstick on a pig".

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 31 of 70
latest reply

@ten_o_nine wrote:

Again, I say the post is about high fees and I responded.

You need to read it again, it appears to me it is about fees that they didn't know they had to pay because they didn't stay current on selling fees.  Your point is taken as they likely feel the fees are expensive since they weren't aware they were at the very least paying the FVF on shipping for the past 10+ years.  And they have had sales in that timeframe.

Message 32 of 70
latest reply

@ten_o_nine wrote:

@fashunu4eeuh 

So, if you sold an item and buyer had to pay $1000 in taxes, you don't mind eBay charging you $135 in additional fees to remit the same taxes as for one item that sold for 99c and paid 9c?

Do you realize how much the Sale price of the product would need to be to incur $1,000 in taxes.

As a seller, knowing how the seller fees are calculated, I would price the item just like I do everything else and that is considering ALL my selling fees.

Message 33 of 70
latest reply

If I were you, I wouldn't leave Ebay; instead, keep your items listed and look up other sites you may want to cross post on.  Also, research the fees and audience other platforms have to offer.  

Message 34 of 70
latest reply

@ten_o_nine wrote:

@fashunu4eeuh 

So, if you sold an item and buyer had to pay $1000 in taxes, you don't mind eBay charging you $135 in additional fees to remit the same taxes as for one item that sold for 99c and paid 9c?

I wouldn't mind! 

If I sold an item that was so much money that the buyer incurred $1k in taxes, it would be I made quite a profit! (Of course, that's assuming I priced my item correctly!)

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 35 of 70
latest reply

My feet are so tired from this dance I need to sit this one out. 

Message 36 of 70
latest reply

I am new to selling on eBay, but experienced in mathematical analysis. Your net revenue from an eBay sale can be calculated as follows… I recommend that you run such math before setting your price. (To other sellers, feel free to point out if I am making any errors).

If buyer pays for shipping:
Total earnings = WinningBid - eBayFlatFee + ( eBayRate x ((1 + TaxRate) x WinningBid ) + ShippingFee + Tax )

If seller pays for shipping:
Total earnings = WinningBid - eBayFlatFee + ( eBayRate x ((1 + TaxRate) x WinningBid ) + Tax ) - ShippingExpense

Message 37 of 70
latest reply

@monroe67 wrote:

"I'm done selling on Ebay!"

Yet another eBay "departee." 

Yep.  All these people leaving and I didn't even know they were here.

-

Message 38 of 70
latest reply

I read.

I forget.

Has anyone posted that "the buyer pays all my fees"?

Just in case they have not, here it goes.

The buyer pays all my fees, which, by the way, I do not consider unreasonable. I can put things in my yard to sell with no fees, but most likely my profits will be less than selling on eBay and paying fees.

I know the approximate fees associated with the sales of my item, and those costs are covered by what the buyer pays.

Message 39 of 70
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Sold an item and I have get charged for 13.25% of out of state tax and shipping costs? 13.25% of my sale price should be more than enough to feed the hungry beast! I'm done selling on Ebay! Forget all the nonsense to even get paid after the sale....

@Anonymous 

You didn't mention this in your post but you might also want to reconsider listing auction items with a reserve. In the opinion on most seasoned sellers, reserves are a waste of money. 

If you insist on auctions, just make the opening bid the least amount you're willing to let it go for in the event there's just one bid. 

It looks like your reserve was about $200 so that (previous) listing cost you an extra $15! Wouldn't it have been better just to start the bidding at $200? You probably would have made the sale the first time since it sold for more than that amount the second time around - and to the same high bidder who hadn't met the reserve the first time. 

Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 1.30.32 PM.png

albertabrightalberta

Message 40 of 70
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

@ten_o_nine wrote:

@fashunu4eeuh 

I wouldn't mind! 

If I sold an item that was so much money that the buyer incurred $1k in taxes, it would be I made quite a profit! (Of course, that's assuming I priced my item correctly!)

Your post reminds of something that happened at my full time B&M job.

The owner said that as the manager of my branch that I can buy my  employees lunch the following day when ever we do a $20,000 sales day.  Once we did back to back $20,000 days and I apologized to him for buying my guys lunch two days in a row.  His response was "No problem. I wish you bought your guys lunch every day".   😃 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 41 of 70
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't sold on ebay in a long time. way before so many changes. when I listed it I didn't realize I got wacked so much for the reserve. The relisted auction I did restructure it. That being said, I hate giving ebay access to my bank account and 13 1/2 % is a lot of money to charge seeing how universal ebay is. They hit me for out of state tax and postage? Charge that to the buyer! I have nothing to do with those funds. Just an excuse to bilk more money.  How much is enough for them to be satisfied? Without sellers ebay wouldn't exist! It's like paying to put your car in a car show so people can come for free to look at your hard earned investment and spend money to the promoters. Like I said when I finally get paid my money I won't sell on here again.

Message 42 of 70
latest reply

It is a sellers responsibility @Anonymous to know what the selling fees are.  Without knowing that you can't price your products correctly.

We have been paying a FVF on shipping for well over a decade.  Have you been away from selling that long?  And if you have been you actually thought the site would be the same as it was when you left it more than a decade ago???

Sellers DO NOT pay sales taxes.  That is on the buyers, always.  Sellers pay a FVF on sales tax.  Just like we did when PayPal was our money processor, but now Ebay is our money processor.

So things out in the world at large can have price increases on just about everything, but somehow people expect Ebay fees to stay the same as they were 10-20 years ago.  That makes sense how exactly??

Message 43 of 70
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just because you've accepted paying fees on out of state taxes and postage doesn't make it right. As long as you people accept it, ebay will make you pay. So I have to overprice my item to accommodate ebay's money grab? Then when it doesn't sell they relist it 8 times for free. How generous! LOL

Message 44 of 70
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

They hit me for out of state tax and postage? Charge that to the buyer! I have nothing to do with those funds. Just an excuse to bilk more money. 

You are NOT paying the "out of state tax and postage." The buyer paid both sales tax (based on his/her state's rates) as well as your shipping charge.  You can see it on the breakdown of funds. The money came in from the buyer and immediately went out in order for you to buy the shipping label and for ebay to forward the sales tax to the buyer's state. 

But you did pay fees on those monies even though you don't get a direct benefit from them. 

@Anonymous wrote:

Like I said when I finally get paid my money I won't sell on here again.

That's certainly your prerogative not to sell here again. 

At the risk of being accused of being an ebay cheerleader, I'll say that you may find you won't find that you'll do as well elsewhere. 

About 12 years ago, I took a 2 year break from ebay to try other venues, certain (in my mind) that I'd save money. Well, I did save money but traffic and sales were less than 25% of what I would have done on ebay. At the time, I'd been spending hundreds on listing fees because ebay wasn't giving 250 free listings at that time. On my other selling site, I paid no listing fees and FVF were less than ebay's but sales were in the toilet. 

albertabrightalberta

Message 45 of 70
latest reply