cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fees

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sold an item and I have get charged for 13.25% of out of state tax and shipping costs? 13.25% of my sale price should be more than enough to feed the hungry beast! I'm done selling on Ebay! Forget all the nonsense to even get paid after the sale....

Message 1 of 70
latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

fees

How come most are picking on the poster instead of understanding what the post is all about? High fees!!! and you act like you're fine when you know they are high, so whether written or hidden or spoken or advertised, you all know that fees are high, stop defending eBay because hahaha, it's written. Give me a break.

Message 16 of 70
latest reply

fees

@Anonymous wrote:

Sold an item and I have get charged for 13.25% of out of state tax and shipping costs? 13.25% of my sale price should be more than enough to feed the hungry beast! I'm done selling on Ebay! Forget all the nonsense to even get paid after the sale....

You have been a seller for a long time.  Are you saying you don't know what the fees are we pay on Ebay as a seller?  Why wouldn't you?  That makes no sense at all.

We have paid Ebay FVFs on shipping charges for over 11 years.  The FVF fees on sales tax started the Summer of 2020 as we all entered Managed Payments.

Selling fees | eBay

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 17 of 70
latest reply

fees

@ten_o_nine wrote:

How come most are picking on the poster instead of understanding what the post is all about? High fees!!! and you act like you're fine when you know they are high, so whether written or hidden or spoken or advertised, you all know that fees are high, stop defending eBay because hahaha, it's written. Give me a break.

No

Nope

Not at all

False

ETC

I offer everything with free shipping. I pay 11.9% FVF on everything I sell. Even allowing for the tiny bit of  FVF on sales tax I pay a low 12% total FVF.

And if you are not paying 11.9% that is your fault, not eBay's.

And for that fee I get continuous public exposure year round.

In the alternative I could go to a Public Auction where I will be charged 25% and my exposure to a comparatively infinitesimally smaller crowd would be limited to the few minutes that it was under the hammer. No thanks.

Do not deign to speak for me.

Message 18 of 70
latest reply

fees

@dolcetreasures 

Not only that, but most payment processors also charge less than 4% to process payments including shipping and taxes, so really with charging 13.5% to remit state taxes, they are worse than the IRS.

And 13.5% on shipping, so if you have to ship an item for $10, you have to pay eBay $1.35, Ridicules.

Most of the answers here seem to be like putting lipstick on a pig.

Message 19 of 70
latest reply

fees

@richard1rst 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

How is it my fault? and by the way I was addressing the poster comment about paying 13.5%, and by the way how are you paying 11.9%? is it across all categories?

Message 20 of 70
latest reply

fees

When you are listing did not see this ?IMG_0712.jpeg

When you click the link that says Final Value Fees it takes you to policy called Selling Fees  

On that page is this : 

Final value fees

We charge one final value fee when your item sells, and you don't have to worry about third-party payment processing fees. This fee is calculated as a percentage of the total amount of the sale, plus $0.30 per order.

The total amount of the sale includes the item price, any handling charges, the shipping service the buyer selects, sales tax, and any other applicable fees. If you offer 1-day or international shipping as well as a cheaper or free option (like domestic shipping), the total amount of the sale is calculated based on the cheapest domestic option you offer. If you only offer 1-day or international shipping but no cheaper option like domestic shipping, the total amount of the sale is calculated based on the service the buyer chooses.

How you didn’t read any of this is a mystery to me.

Message 21 of 70
latest reply

fees

I won't argue whether eBay fees are high they are a business and operate for the sole purpose of maximizing their value to their shareholders. When it is all said and done I find that generally the eBay fees are one of my lower selling expenses. Shipping is often more than the eBay fees so should I be complaining about the carriers. And of course Federal and State income taxes are, in my opinion, way too high. 

I have often wondered what the sellers that complain about the eBay fees actually make on their items but none of them seem wiling to post that information in their description.

Message 22 of 70
latest reply

fees

@ten_o_nine wrote:

@richard1rst 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

How is it my fault? and by the way I was addressing the poster comment about paying 13.5%, and by the way how are you paying 11.9%? is it across all categories?

it is your fault not making the effort to be a Top Rated Seller.

As a Top Rated Seller, you get 10% off final value fees, as well as a seal on your listings, when you offer same or 1 day handling time, and, for most categories, a free 30 day return policy. So, 13.25% less 10% = 11.9.

The requirements are not so onerous that anybody who wants it can get it. Yes, it is across all of the categories I sell in. Actually there are some categories that charge less than 13.25 (and apparently a few that charge more). But I do not sell in any of those categories so for me it is 11.9% on EVERYTHING I sell.

The biggest complaint from sellers is "but then I have to offer free returns". Well, guess what, if a buyer claims an item is not as described (even if they are lying) you are on the hook for the return shipping anyways. My return rate is consistently under 1% with an all time low of 0.35%. That is one return out of 300 sales. The 10% savings in FVF on 299 sales more than offsets the minuscule return costs for one sale. And the trick to holding down the returns % is to pay attention to what you are doing.

Message 23 of 70
latest reply

fees

Again, I say the post is about high fees and I responded.

Message 24 of 70
latest reply

fees

@Anonymous wrote:

I do not have a problem with the fees. Don’t see them as being too high for the return on my investment in the platform. Or in other words, the benefits of selling here continue to meet my needs.

Message 25 of 70
latest reply

fees

@ten_o_nine wrote:

Please. The fees aren't high. If I were to take something to my local consignment shop, they'd charge me 33% of the sale price, AND the only exposure it would get would be to the people who live in this area.

13.25% to make your items available to the entire world is a bargain, frankly.

Message 26 of 70
latest reply

fees

@fashunu4eeuh 

So, if you sold an item and buyer had to pay $1000 in taxes, you don't mind eBay charging you $135 in additional fees to remit the same taxes as for one item that sold for 99c and paid 9c?

Message 27 of 70
latest reply

fees

I would love to know where you are planning on going next to save on those selling costs.  I still find I get the best exposure and most consistent sales with eBay as opposed to other channels. I have tried others and alway end up back on eBay for consistency

Message 28 of 70
latest reply

fees

So, if you sold an item and buyer had to pay $1000 in taxes, you don't mind eBay charging you $135 in additional fees to remit the same taxes as for one item that sold for 99c and paid 9c?

Probably not considering an 8% sales tax rate that means I sold an item for about $13,000.00. That $135 is chicken feed. 

Message 29 of 70
latest reply

fees

@ten_o_nine wrote:

The OP is talking about fees that have been in place a LONG time, especially on Shipping.  My question is how could they not know about this fee.  The OP had no idea that there was a fee hike a few months back, or that we pay FVFs on shipping for the past decade or that the FVF now also applies to Sales Tax since Ebay became our money processor.  Before that we paid fees to PayPal on the sales tax.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 30 of 70
latest reply