cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay not fun anymore is the hassle of seller hub and MP worth it ?

deadsenna69
Adventurer

I am a hobby type seller, and I have fun searching thru estate sales and auctions for stuff to sell. Usually I would sell on eBay, it was quick and easy with the much missed classic pages to write and track items and total monthly sales on minimal pages and was easy to read. In essence the page had been refined to the point that it was simplified for anyone to use with minimal problems. I only used Paypal for payment and I was paid immediately by Paypal. All in all an easy and fun way to make some extra money. The changes eBay has forced upon the sellers has really made eBay a chore, more than fun, and on top of that since these changes traffic on eBay has fallen off a cliff. I am not the only one seeing this. Due to eBay sitting on my money for several days, I have been forced to extend my handling time out. I WILL NOT ship an item before the money for MY ITEM sold is in MY ACCOUNT. What has eBay done to instill blind trust in me to trust them with MY MONEY? eBay has never had the sellers back on disputes and now they want access to my financial institutions.. I used to have upwards of 100 plus items for sale at one time, now less than half that and I am not motivated to post anything new, and I have some GREAT items sitting at home. eBay takes enough in fees and they want me to use their products to ship too?? What, so they can gouge me multiple times for shipping fees AND shipping products??? NO!!! I NEVER use eBay labels or shipping products, I have had people gripe about shipping costs, and I would refund if my ballpark pricing was WAY too high, glad to do it, too.  Not to mention the political stances taken by this and several other internet commerce platforms, restricting freedom of speech and commerce. I know I am not alone in feeling this eBay malaise, what are my fellow smaller hobbyist doing to recharge and be enthusiastic about selling again???

Message 1 of 49
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

"is the hassle of seller hub and MP worth it ?"

Only you know the answer to that. If you are here primarily because its fun, and it is no longer fun...

I read your post. None of the things that appear to bother you so much about ebay bother me. Been using Seller Hub for years, no problems with Managed Payments, I find ebay shipping labels to be easy, convenient and reasonably priced, ebay fees are...well, what they are. I can live with them. And I don't give much thought to ebay's "political stance", just as I don't give any thought as to whether my buyers are to my right or to my left LOL  

BUT....these things DO bother you, and only you know if they bother you so much that ebay is no longer fun.

When ebay is no longer fun for me, I'll leave. But that's just me. Do whatever works for you.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 23 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

I WILL NOT ship an item before the money for MY ITEM sold is in MY ACCOUNT

Sorry - really hard to read without breaks, etc.

Quit reading after the above sentence.  I wish you luck - having really long handling times appears to demote you in search and be a buyer turn-off.  

Good luck as you sort everything out.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 2 of 49
latest reply

If you don't ship until payment is actually in your account, you will run the risk of unhappy buyers and potentially neutral or negative feedback. And if you extend your S/H time way out in order to make sure your money is actually in your bank account, many buyers will see they won't get their item from you in a timely manner, and will often buy from someone else who has a much shorter delivery time.

Please understand: When Ebay says to ship, you need to ship! Your money is ALREADY SECURED. It only takes 2-3 days for Ebay/Adyen to process it into your bank account, if you selected daily deposits. If you need to purchase shipping labels on Ebay, you can use the pending money that is already sitting in your MP account.

Most of my items are shipped out on the next business day. Since joining MP around 700 transactions ago, I have not lost one penny with MP, and my buyers are really happy that I have next business day shipping.

Cheers, Duffy

Message 3 of 49
latest reply

@deadsenna69 wrote:

what are my fellow smaller hobbyist doing to recharge and be enthusiastic about selling again???

Some of us spend time on this board, trying to stop the spread of misinformation about Managed Payments and eBay shipping.

But to be honest, sometimes it feels like a lost cause. 

Message 4 of 49
latest reply

You regulars deserve some respect, must be draining to try and apply common sense & facts and calmly explain the it & outs of ebay, MP & etc

All the while being called shills, morons, ebay employees, etc, etc

As you may have noticed, seems many of the regulars seem to have abandoned the boards for now, taking much knowledge experience & sound advice with them, fed up with trying to reason with the reasonable

Oh well, lawn probably needs mowed anyway

Message 5 of 49
latest reply

That would "unreasoable" GEEEEZ

Message 6 of 49
latest reply

I am a small seller. I don’t like the changes one bit, but i made the adjustments required because i want to continue to sell here. I’m giving Managed Payments a chance. It is not a problem for me to ship when eBay says it’s time. I am not worried about the money being held up in processing and not immediately available. I use eBay’s shipping labels too, and appreciate the small postage discounts and overall convenience it affords me. I don’t feel eBay is ripping me off in some way.

PS—why guess at postage prices, rather than weigh and measure packages so the exact shipping cost can be calculated for the buyer?

Message 7 of 49
latest reply

Hi - The ebay can suck the fun out of something fast.

Message 8 of 49
latest reply

That's a shame that you are no longer enjoying selling here. I love it myself, and plan on continuing to sell on eBay until I get bored with it. Perhaps it's time for you to find another hobby. Best of luck to you....

Message 9 of 49
latest reply

I agree.  The regulars who reply with helpful advice get my respect.  I get lots of valuable information from their replies, and appreciate it greatly.  I hope they don't get run off by some of these posts.

Message 10 of 49
latest reply

The worst part is the genuine OP who wants information see's regulars being called these ridiculous names and this may suggest that the information is incorrect.

If a poster has nothing to add in the way of actual help, or experience, I just don't see the point in others coming in just to stir the pot and muddy the waters with misinformation and gossip - maybe they are bored.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 11 of 49
latest reply

I agree with everything you said.

Someone (eBay) makes a decision that adversely impacts me, then expects me to figure out how to make it work. Nothing the new way is to my benefit, but I am supposed to say, "Oh well. That's progress."

It is all rather bizarre.

Message 12 of 49
latest reply

Managed Payments is a step up from PayPal. Payments automatically sent directly to the bank account within a few days. Unlike the other place that starts with an M where it needs to be delivered and rated before you get your money.

I don't understand the gripe about using eBay shipping vs other shipping software. eBay has great rates for FedEx and UPS. For USPS, it is the same cost as other vendors like Pirateship.
If you are talking fees for shipping costs, that was implemented long ago as sellers abused it and made the item cost $1 and shipping $49 to avoid fees.

Message 13 of 49
latest reply

So much has changed, not just here but in our lives over the last year plus.

If you are not happy with what you are doing, find something that will. 

Life is short and only you can find your joy.

It is their playground.  So either take your ball home or adapt. If adapting makes you unhappy, again, find what does.

I wish for you only good things,

Grandma 

Message 14 of 49
latest reply

eBay is losing it's zest for me because of how they treat their sellers. 

I not a fan of MP, but I'm used to it now.  Really my only issues with it are:  #1 they take out the ad fee right away for a sold item, even if the buyer hasn't paid yet, which is dumb, if the buyer never pays, then they just have to pay you back that fee... like dude just wait until the buyer pays, THEN take it, how hard is that.  and #2, when you print the shipping label they don't deduct the cost of the label from the isolated payment for the item you are print the label for.

The seller hub.. got used to that too.

But the way they treat their sellers is shameful, they don't care about us, and fail to realize that when a seller is calling customer service, we too are a customer of this site, we pay to use it.  Yet they do nothing to back us up even when faced with an obvious scam by a buyer.  And yes, there are horrible sellers too, but generally, if you come across that, you, as the buyer, will win in the end... When sellers get a lying scamming buyer, the scamming buyer gets away with it and eBay could not give an ounce less.   Not cool at all.

Message 15 of 49
latest reply