cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay issued 1099-K under my SSN instead of EIN (single member LLC taxed as an S-Corp)

Hi Guys,

This also happened last year and some were able to fix it by calling a knowledgeable customer service agent who will give you an Email address to email a filled-up W-9 and then you will get a corrected 1099-K.

But the permanent fix seems to be that you have to edit your business on the settings. 

The problem is, there is no option for that. 

Can anybody chime in how they were able to edit their business info to properly reflect that they are an LLC?

Attached is the screenshot of the page whenever I click "edit" on "business type"

ebay-screenshot.jpg

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: eBay issued 1099-K under my SSN instead of EIN (single member LLC taxed as an S-Corp)

It is likely that to change your Business type you need to contact Ebay.

I would suggest that you contact Ebay for Business on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter for the better trained CSRs.

Here are your options for contacting Ebay Customer Service.  Please be aware that for social media CS, you send them a Private Message and briefly explain what your problem or issue is.  Feel free to leave your Name, address, phone number and/or your email address in this message.  It is private and secure and it may help to speed up the response for you.

https://twitter.com/askebay

https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

Your options will be on the left.  If you use the link below you can only get to the Automated Assistant or Chat box type AGENT in the box and hit enter. You will then get more options.  Not all options are available 24/7.  It will depend on staffing available.  So sometimes you can request a call back and sometimes you can't.  Sometimes you have the Chat option available and other times it won't me.  If it is important to you to use one of those options, just try back later.

If you use a cell phone or other mobile device, you may need to turn off your Spam filter so that Ebay can call you.

If you are a seller outside of the US or Canada, you will need to use the Chat Option.

https://www.ebay.com/help/home

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Re: eBay issued 1099-K under my SSN instead of EIN (single member LLC taxed as an S-Corp)

Thank you so much. Will try this route. 

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

You are very welcome, I hope it helps.

I know that when a seller has their account labeled as a business account they can't change it to a personal account without Ebay's intervention.  So from that I am assuming you can't change yours from a Sole Proprietorship to an LLC without Ebay's help.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

I did change my old personal account to a business account, but that was 4 years ago and I don't recall the process I went through. I do know I had to supply a lot of information about the company and it's state registration number. Last year they asked me for updates too, much of the same information.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

@worldcoinauctions wrote:

I did change my old personal account to a business account, but that was 4 years ago and I don't recall the process I went through. I do know I had to supply a lot of information about the company and it's state registration number. Last year they asked me for updates too, much of the same information.

Yes, that is doable, Ebay allows us to change our accounts from personal to Business.  But any other change, like back to personal or changing the type of business structure you have needs Ebay's help in changing.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Thanks for the heads up. I remember eBay did this to me last year for my 2022 and I had to file the w9 too. Fortunately I checked and my file for 2023 does show my EIN and not my SSN.

What is being shown as your current business type? I checked and my current settings for business type is “sole proprietor/single-member LLC”. Just for fun I clicked on the edit to see the exact same page you show, only able to change it to sole proprietor or owner. I’m obviously not clicking any further since my 1099 ain’t broke.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Yes my business type is also "Sole-Proprietor/Single-Member LLC" in the settings and when I click edit it says I can only change it to Sole Proprietor/Owner but I am also a single member llc taxed as an s-corp so I need my 1099K to go under my EIN. 

Did you have to call ebay and have them changed it? Did they put your account on pause?

I am just worried that any edits will result to lost sales pending verification. 

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

@vinascrystals wrote:

Yes my business type is also "Sole-Proprietor/Single-Member LLC" in the settings and when I click edit it says I can only change it to Sole Proprietor/Owner but I am also a single member llc taxed as an s-corp so I need my 1099K to go under my EIN. 

Did you have to call ebay and have them changed it? Did they put your account on pause?

I am just worried that any edits will result to lost sales pending verification. 

It is unlikely that you can edit it.  You should contact Ebay and make sure you do it the right way.

I would suggest that you contact Ebay for Business on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter for the better trained CSRs.

Here are your options for contacting Ebay Customer Service.  Please be aware that for social media CS, you send them a Private Message and briefly explain what your problem or issue is.  Feel free to leave your Name, address, phone number and/or your email address in this message.  It is private and secure and it may help to speed up the response for you.

https://twitter.com/askebay

https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

Your options will be on the left.  If you use the link below you can only get to the Automated Assistant or Chat box type AGENT in the box and hit enter. You will then get more options.  Not all options are available 24/7.  It will depend on staffing available.  So sometimes you can request a call back and sometimes you can't.  Sometimes you have the Chat option available and other times it won't me.  If it is important to you to use one of those options, just try back later.

If you use a cell phone or other mobile device, you may need to turn off your Spam filter so that Ebay can call you.

If you are a seller outside of the US or Canada, you will need to use the Chat Option.

https://www.ebay.com/help/home

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

I noticed this today and called ebay. They said it cannot be changed, she said she checked with several people there. Then someone on youtube told me to check these boards and I found this from last year but have not done it yet as I type this.

Part 1: 

First login>account>business info

under business it will show current type.  If it says sole proprietor or single member llc, eBay will not fix your 1099.

So change the business type (cause it seriously only matters on your 1040 Schedule C or  1120 filing) to corporation and put yourself as the sole shareholder.   For me, I had to verify the existing business type as a sole proprietor, even though that's not what I really wanted, wait 24hrs, then I could change it

Part 2:

Send e-mail W-9 to informationreporting@ebay.com. with the subject line “[secure] + User ID” 

be sure the ebay info is correct on the W-9 as stated in another post.  Also note you have to hound them to get the status as you will not get updated.  Then you have to you have to get the corrected 1099. 

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@urban_picker 

A 1099K doesn't state what type of business you have nor does a schedule C.  

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Hello,

Were your store put on hold while you were switching to Sole-Proprietor then back to LLC/S-Corp?

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

any body get your 1099k corrected?  I sent w9  ~11 days ago, and there is no response.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

No reply here either. I did not send a W-9 though. Just did it through customer service. 

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I sent w9 in for almost 3 weeks, and nobody replies. 1099k is not corrected. anybody has updates?

Message 15 of 19
latest reply