cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay invite.........

Received an email (not through eBay's email system) with an invite to join a live webinar about joining "eBay US Customer Support Services". Email was titled "Earn money helping other sellers on eBay". Went to the link in the email and the page appeared legit. Anyone else get this email? TIA.

Message 1 of 146
latest reply
145 REPLIES 145

eBay invite.........

I got it and was honored to be selected.   The offer of payment sounds good but frankly it would take a lot of money for me to deal with customer service issues.  I'd rather spend the time wandering back roads of Wisconsin or the isles of a thrift store on the hunt for treasure.

Message 2 of 146
latest reply

eBay invite.........

@bimm_corp 

Yes, I received the email, too.

Message 3 of 146
latest reply

eBay invite.........

Yep, got it too. I agree with Toysaver, backroads in Wi.  are not that bad even with it being  -20 and a foot of snow. 

Message 4 of 146
latest reply

eBay invite.........

I got an invitation too but unfortunately can't make the call at that time. ☹️

It sounds to me like they are rolling out something similar to what they were piloting in the UK last year

https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/press-room/uk/ebay-partners-with-limitless-to-invite-expert-sellers/ 

It looks like the US version will also be powered by Limitless.

I have mixed feelings about it honestly.  While I think it would be a fantastic opportunity for some of the awesome people who volunteer here in the community to get some reward for their hard work, it's also disappointing to me that eBay is not investing the money and resources into their actual customer service, especially Managed Payments support.

Message 5 of 146
latest reply

eBay invite.........

@valueaddedresource wrote:

I have mixed feelings about it honestly.  While I think it would be a fantastic opportunity for some of the awesome people who volunteer here in the community to get some reward for their hard work, it's also disappointing to me that eBay is not investing the money and resources into their actual customer service, especially Managed Payments support.

In reading the link about the UK program, it sounds like the emphasis is on actual sellers giving actual help and advice about actually selling.

The optimist in me thinks:

No amount of investment in training and resources for non-sellers is going to replace the advice and experience of an actual seller who relies on eBay for income.  And IMHO very few good sellers are going to trade their online business for a low-wage day job as a customer support representative.

The pessimist in me think:

eBay is trying to get highly experienced workers to work for them on the cheap ... a gig-economy job that pay by the piece, with no benefits and no health insurance.

Message 6 of 146
latest reply

eBay invite.........

If they don't mention a payment amount up front it's likely insignificant.   We could probably make more babysitting red haired triplets.

Message 7 of 146
latest reply

eBay invite.........

eBay is trying to get highly experienced workers to work for them on the cheap ... a gig-economy job that pay by the piece, with no benefits and no health insurance.

pretty good business plan............

For years people on these boards have complained about "doing the job of CS".....and not getting paid for it.

Obviously, whether the pay is worth it to an individual will depend on them........  some who can't "find" product now, might be more than willing to try it...........
Message 8 of 146
latest reply

eBay invite.........

What about all of those people that offer up their services to new sellers for a fee of say $150/hour!  How dare eBay compete against those folks and kill their trade?  THE HORROR! 😱 😨 😵 😡

This is a great idea as there appears to be many sellers who could use some "coaching"!  Perhaps eBay could send recalcitrant sellers to "eBay School" with one of these experts as an interim step before banning them?

I mean how many posts do we see from sellers that don't even understand the basics of the MBG?  Ones who argue with buyers over what they sent when faced with a NAD case?  Sellers who still cling to "no returns" policies?  and many other basics that are being missed.

I for one think this is a great idea on eBay's part.  Creating better sellers only improves the "buyer experience" and helps with repeat business and a more positive impression of the eBay brand.

eh, eBay's implementation is always a bit clunky, so let's see if this can work and make a big difference?

It is certainly a step in the right direction.

Message 9 of 146
latest reply

eBay invite.........

@no_zero369 wrote:

I mean how many posts do we see from sellers that don't even understand the basics of the MBG?  Ones who argue with buyers over what they sent when faced with a NAD case?  Sellers who still cling to "no returns" policies?  and many other basics that are being missed.

In the link to the UK program, eBay says:

"the team of expert sellers are on hand to coach new business sellers on best practice, helping them make the most of the platform"

Does anyone really think eBay is not going to control the messaging during this "coaching"?

For instance, I somehow doubt eBay is going to permit the coaches to tell sellers that when eBay says they will "review your request and take appropriate action" about a false SNAD claim, what eBay really means is "we will deny your request and give you a defect and let the buyer keep the item".

Message 10 of 146
latest reply

eBay invite.........

@no_zero369 wrote:

What about all of those people that offer up their services to new sellers for a fee of say $150/hour!  How dare eBay compete against those folks and kill their trade?  THE HORROR! 😱 😨 😵 😡

This is a great idea as there appears to be many sellers who could use some "coaching"!  Perhaps eBay could send recalcitrant sellers to "eBay School" with one of these experts as an interim step before banning them?

I for one think this is a great idea on eBay's part.  Creating better sellers only improves the "buyer experience" and helps with repeat business and a more positive impression of the eBay brand.

eh, eBay's implementation is always a bit clunky, so let's see if this can work and make a big difference?

It is certainly a step in the right direction.

@no_zero369  I think private tutoring with an experienced seller would definitely be more useful than eBay's new Seller School. 🤣

I think it's a great idea for eBay to have educational tools for new sellers, but like you said, the implementation can sometimes be a bit clunky.  Some of the info is already outdated or just not accurate.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/eBay-Seller-School/m-p/31600390/highlight/true#M1699744   

Message 11 of 146
latest reply

eBay invite.........

@luckythewinner wrote:

@no_zero369 wrote:

"the team of expert sellers are on hand to coach new business sellers on best practice, helping them make the most of the platform"

Does anyone really think eBay is not going to control the messaging during this "coaching"?

For instance, I somehow doubt eBay is going to permit the coaches to tell sellers that when eBay says they will "review your request and take appropriate action" about a false SNAD claim, what eBay really means is "we will deny your request and give you a defect and let the buyer keep the item".

LOL!  You think "Mericans" are going to be told by anyone what to do? 😂

After all we can't even tell a fair number of people to wear a face covering when it is in the best interest of their health so to do.👍

Message 12 of 146
latest reply

eBay invite.........

@valueaddedresource 

I nominate you as head seller's coach!  Impressive post, that thread.

I know who I am going to PM when issues arise! 😁  Aren't you lucky? 😂 👍

Message 13 of 146
latest reply

eBay invite.........

@luckythewinner wrote:

@no_zero369 wrote:

@luckythewinner  I suspect therein lies the rub. 

From several angles, I can see this being a difficult thing to pull off well.  On one hand, there would certainly have to be some vetting and "coaching" involved to make sure users who take advantage of this service aren't getting the bum steer.

However, in my opinion, such "coaching" runs the risk of resulting in the same level of service already being offered by eBay SOP & training, which could tend to make this a redundant effort at best. 

And to me that opens up a whole wider topic which is - why is there sometimes such a wide gap between what an eBay rep with standard training would tell a new seller in a particular situation and what an experienced seller would tell them?

Rhetorical question 😉 but I think an important thing for eBay to consider if they really want to see a program like this succeed.

If the entire "value proposition" of this is to give new sellers access to the depth and breadth of knowledge experienced sellers have, what happens when that experience bumps up against or conflicts with eBay's stated policies and procedures? 

And more importantly - how do you incentivize those experienced sellers to share that experience, especially if they find that it isn't always in line with eBay SOP?  Gig economy part time pay may not be enough to overcome seller concerns of possible consequences for not toeing the line.

I think  if done right, there could be an opportunity here for something more valuable than money, and that is regaining some of the trust that eBay has lost over the years from their long time, committed seller community, especially after the cyberstalking scandal. That would require a real commit to the "openness, honesty, respect and doing business with integrity" that Jamie Iannone says "drives eBay's success."

I'm skeptical that eBay is going to allow that much leeway with this program, but would certainly be happy to be wrong about that. 😊

Message 14 of 146
latest reply

eBay invite.........

@toysaver wrote:

If they don't mention a payment amount up front it's likely insignificant.   We could probably make more babysitting red haired triplets.

"Limitless estimates that sellers could earn .......... in six weeks, enough extra money to cover the cost of an average annual household energy bill."

In a round about way they kind of put a $ figure to it. For me personally I only trade my valuable time for bananas, coconuts, and shiny glass beads.

Message 15 of 146
latest reply