cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling Long Cylindrical Objects

So, I am trying to sell a handmade ritual staff. I had trouble getting it listed at first, but was eventually able to list it, only after setting it as "free shipping." I am somewhat okay with this, but it means I had to jack up the asking price to accommodate for the shipping cost. Is there some way to be able to fix my listing so that the shipping is paid for by the buyer and separated from the listing price??

my other issue with having it as free shipping is that I can't offer international shipping because international is about double what domestic would be.

any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

How long is the package of each staff after they are boxed for shipping?

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

About 5.5 feet

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

That's strange as you can ship an item that is say 66" X 5" X 5" via USPS PRIORITY MAIL OR USPS GROUND ADVANTAGE.

The only thing that I can think of is that your account is enrolled in EIS eBay International Shipping service. That service has a length restriction of 48" and for some reason that could be messing with your domestic shipping service. 

The following requirements apply to items shipped through eBay International Shipping:

• Items are physically located in the US and listed on eBay.com
  • Items are eligible for export and the cost doesn't exceed $2500 USD
  • Packages should not exceed:
    • 48 inches in length, 84 inches in length and girth
    • 44 lbs. in billable weight (not actual weight) for all countries except Canada (maximum billable weight for Canada is 66 lbs.)

Go and check your shipping preferences to see if your enrolled in the EIS service.

https://www.ebay.com/ship/prf 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Not sure why you were only able to list with free shipping .  With that package size you are going to trigger all of the over size dimensions charges and that can be costly 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Yeah standard ground is like $60+ for domestic.  Which is why I am asking for help.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@anywitchesway wrote:

Yeah standard ground is like $60+ for domestic.  Which is why I am asking for help.

Something is off with your shipping methods. I can ship a package that is 66" X 5" X 5" and weighs 5lbs from Boise, Idaho 83707 to Miami Beach, Florida 33109 for $27.50 via USPS GROUND Advantage, and that before eBay's small discount when purchased via eBay shipping labels.

20231229_010104833.jpeg

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Just a bit of advice.

Never list anything without knowing exactly what it will cost to ship first.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@anywitchesway wrote:

Standard Ground for $60+ seems a bit high.

What are the dimensions of the packaged item, what is the weight and what are the zip codes you are checking between?

Did you use the eBay Shipping Calculator to determine the rates?

https://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator

stephenmorgan_0-1703841632519.png

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

The $60 was not standard shipping it was expedited, my bad. 

Yes I used the shipping calculator to look up rates and compare companies. But when actually trying to list the item I couldn't. 

I just edited my listing so I could try and get a pic of the error banner....idk what I did differently this time but it worked. Thanks for all the input.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@ebeths_eclectic_collectibles wrote:

Not sure why you were only able to list with free shipping .

Is it possible that, given the zero-feedback account of a new seller, the total price with Shipping charge is exceeding the selling limit for the month? (Although I do now see a Shipping charge of $19.22 to send it to Chicago, so it looks like the OP did manage to get it listed with Shipping at last)

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I would suggest redoing the auction listings. Start the auctions at the lowest price you would accept and possibly adjust the shipping price as it seems high

Message 12 of 12
latest reply