cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Vault has some flaws that need addressed ASAP

So I jumped into the eBay Vault thing... I purchased 5 cards on eBay with Authenticity Guarantee and elected to have them sent to the Vault. I think eBay definitely needs to up their game though. Here are the problems I have encountered so far, in order of importance (IMO):

1) Results pages don't say Authenticity Guaranteed for Vault cards. -- Sure, there is verbiage in the listing that all Vault cards are authenticated and guaranteed, but the perspective buyer has to make it there first! If they are searching for a 1963 Clemente 540 and they'll only consider buying one that is guaranteed authentic, they might not even make it into my listing to see that it actually is. eBay needs to put the exact same logo and verbiage in Vault card listings AND on the itemized results pages. Search for '1963 Clemente 540 psa 6' and you'll see what I mean. There are currently three. The other two have a check mark and say Authenticity Guaranteed. But mine (replacementradios) doesn't... Even though it is... Even though it was when I bought it on eBay and has since been authenticated by eBay/PSA prior to final delivery to the Vault... It was never in my hands to have been tampered with. There is no reason the Authenticity Guaranteed logo should have dropped off there. The idea of perspective buyers not even looking at my listing because eBay is not letting them know it's authentic in all the same ways as non-Vault cards is concerning. This is just shooting Vault in the foot! If they want it to be successful, they have to make sure Vault purchases look like a BETTER option than non-Vault purchases. Not worse...

2) When you list a Vault card for sale, the seller has no input on the title. (You could argue this should be my #1.) -- Whatever the authenticator/eBay decides to input is what you get. That can present significant problems. Take my item 275806498549, for instance. Yes, it is a PSA 6, but it has an MC (Mis-cut) qualifier. That should be in the title! Otherwise perspective buyers will think I myself intentionally left it out, to be misleading. The title also doesn't say 'baseball card', anything about the centering, or EX-MT. Those are all possible terms buyers would use in searches. Sure, 'baseball card' may be implied (or obtained from some other field) but Search doesn't always work as it should. I think those things should be in the title too. At a minimum, eBay should have a Suggest Edit button for the title, along with a Comments field so you can make your case...

3) The Item Specifics section of a Vault card listing is not accurate. -- It says "Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing." No they don't. Like the title, the seller has ZERO input into the item specifics. Statements like this just lead a buyer to think the seller somehow misled them, if there is an issue. That can and will lead to bad feedback that will be entirely outside the seller's control. Maybe eBay would remove said feedback but we shouldn't have to go through that (somewhat painful) request process because of an oversight by eBay that can and will affect many sellers. If eBay and/or PSA is generating those specifics, they need to take ownership of them. They can't have the best of both worlds: make the Specifics say whatever they want but still leave the seller on the hook if the buyer takes issue...

4) The Item Description section of a Vault card listing is not accurate. -- It says "Item description from the seller" No isn't. Like the title and the Item Specifics, the seller has ZERO input into the Description. All the same concerns and arguments from number 3 apply, with that being the case. (So I won't re-type them.)

5) There is no way (that I can find) to search only cards in the Vault. -- There are benefits of buying cards from the Vault. And eBay is heavily promoting the Vault. So why can't we specify "Cards in the Vault' as a search Filter? If it's such a great concept, why not give us the ability to search only those cards? 

I am currently on full pause with the Vault... These issues are just too concerning and I feel like they will have an impact on my ability to sell my Vault cards. Luckily for me, Trading Nights Across America will be in my town this weekend, so I'll have a chance to speak with eBay Vault employees. If anyone else has any Vault concerns they would like addressed with them, please let me know. 

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: eBay Vault has some flaws that need addressed ASAP

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

The 'vault' is probably a row of locked filing cabinets.

They probably could have used one of those snack machines where you press E-4 and the orange crackers come out.

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

Are they fire insured, water insured, theft insured...just curious.

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

The process to get the cards out of the vault seems pretty straight-forward. They do charge for removal and shipment but, logically, they have expenses in that, so it doesn't bother me as long as the fee is reasonable.

As for the advertising images, I never assumed they were a true representation. Nor do I expect the cards to be stored in anything close to that manner. I'm assuming the images were purely for marketing purposes, designed to make you think of an over-the-top collection you would find in someone's mansion. (I'm reminded of the Iron Man suit collection in one of the movies...) If someone was going to truly take issue because they aren't actually stored in that manner, I'd say they are just looking for things to complain about. Because what matters is that the cards are stored safely and securely. (Actually, I would have more of an issue if they WERE stored as seen in the marketing images. Because, as one reply earlier pointed out, it's probably not a good idea to expose them to light like that...)

Personally I think the Vault could be successful... if  they run it the right way. But the issues I brought up (and more) need corrected before it's full potential can be realized. As it stands now, they're shooting themselves in the foot. If they want it to appear to be the best card storage option, the listings need to be BETTER than standard card listings. Not worse... And they need to be listening to input and reacting quickly. Either they're all in on Vault or they aren't...

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

I was on the phone with an eBay rep for over an hour yesterday, discussing the various Vault issues I highlighted above. Here is a summary of that call:

1) Results pages don't say Authenticity Guaranteed for Vault cards. -- She submitted an IT Ticket (000003745425), agreeing it was a technical problem. We'll see what happens...

2) When you list a Vault card for sale, the seller has no input on the title. -- I asked for a title change to say PSA 6. She submitted the request. She agreed having the 6 well before the PSA in the title does not make sense, as virtually every graded card has the numerical rating immediately after PSA in the title. I also requested the missing qualifier (MC) be added to the title and she included that in the title change request. My concern about it being missing in the first place was also passed on to "the group that is responsible for this product". She said she understood my point about it being misleading and possibly a cause for a return request and/or bad feedback. (***Of note: Technically returns are not supposed to be allowed for Vault items, but she did acknowledge they would make exceptions in cases where eBay made a mistake.***)

3) The Item Specifics section of a Vault card listing is not accurate. --  My concern about the verbiage saying the seller was responsible for the Item Specifics (when they aren't) was also passed on to "the group that is responsible for this product".

4) The Item Description section of a Vault card listing is not accurate. --  My concern about the verbiage saying the item description was from the seller (when it isn't) was also passed on to "the group that is responsible for this product".

5) There is no way (that I can find) to search only cards in the Vault. -- I ran out of time and did not address this with her. (Again, I was on the phone for over an hour...)

We'll see what, if anything happens as a result of the call. As I said in a different post, part of the success of the Vault will depend on how fast they are willing to correct issues which are brought to light. They're putting so much focus on this service, you would think they would be highly motivated to get all over any problems which would hamper sales and/or use. I believe these issues definitely qualify... Vault Hesitancy, if you will. 🙂

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

Here's the highly trained person that retrieves your valuable cards from the ultra secure eBay vault.

Error (2).png

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
Message 20 of 28
latest reply

That is a nice photo shopped picture they use. However, I think I found the real "vault"

old shipping container.png 

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

Did you sneak into Jamie Iannone's  back yard to snap that picture??

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
Message 22 of 28
latest reply

@replacementradios wrote:

The process to get the cards out of the vault seems pretty straight-forward. They do charge for removal and shipment but, logically, they have expenses in that, so it doesn't bother me as long as the fee is reasonable.

As for the advertising images, I never assumed they were a true representation. Nor do I expect the cards to be stored in anything close to that manner. I'm assuming the images were purely for marketing purposes, designed to make you think of an over-the-top collection you would find in someone's mansion. (I'm reminded of the Iron Man suit collection in one of the movies...) If someone was going to truly take issue because they aren't actually stored in that manner, I'd say they are just looking for things to complain about. Because what matters is that the cards are stored safely and securely. (Actually, I would have more of an issue if they WERE stored as seen in the marketing images. Because, as one reply earlier pointed out, it's probably not a good idea to expose them to light like that...)

Personally I think the Vault could be successful... if  they run it the right way. But the issues I brought up (and more) need corrected before it's full potential can be realized. As it stands now, they're shooting themselves in the foot. If they want it to appear to be the best card storage option, the listings need to be BETTER than standard card listings. Not worse... And they need to be listening to input and reacting quickly. Either they're all in on Vault or they aren't...

I agree with your concerns. In addition, I would be very concerned about the fees for withdrawal. $1000 cards and up $50 PER card plus shipping if I am reading it correctly. Insurance is not free. My final decision that put a nail in it for me was the two videos. I Felt, Basically stated I was stupid not to do it. I'd encourage eBay members to review sales pitch for themselves.

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

It's a novel idea: trading cards online without ever handling anything...like trading stocks.

I don't believe it will ever catch on. There's no buzz about it. Aside from half a dozen posts about the vault here in the community nobody is talking about it anywhere.

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

The shoeboxes are not locked in a closet, they're in lockers at the Modesto Municipal Airport.

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

i agree i tried telling them this and they said they fowarded the issue to them. another issue is that if your card is autographed and the customer filters for autographed cards in the search page it doesnt even show up, so any filtering in the search page is probably shot too.

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

ya i agree the listing saying seller assumes no responsibility is ridiculous! definetly done with the vault too, they also add that ebay 100% stands behind this item as 100% authentic but cant guarentee it to be authentic. they have this so messed up right now.

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

sad to see this was posted 5 months ago and its still not fixed

Message 28 of 28
latest reply