cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay vault

I'm thinking of selling a valuable baseball card and was wondering if I might get a higher price by waiting to move it to the eBay vault first. What are your thoughts 💭

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

eBay vault

We don't know anything about your card and we still know far too little about the Vault. If you are in no rush to sell the card, sure, go ahead and wait, at least until we have details about the Vault. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

eBay vault

Not really something I can advise on - totally up to you to read and decide:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/Announcing-the-eBay-Vault-and-What-s-Next-for-Our-Market...

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 2 of 33
latest reply

eBay vault

Since it will be a new process.  I don't think anyone can really accurately answer that question as NONE of us have any experience with it.  We could only guess.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 33
latest reply

eBay vault

What is expensive?

Don't  sell anything you can't afford to lose to a scammer.  A scammer will claim the card arrived damaged and open a return case and return their own dog eared card or an empty envelope and you're still forced to refund.

Message 4 of 33
latest reply

eBay vault

I don't think the new vault will matter much as it just stores the cards for you as you wait for a buyer. What gets the most out of your cards is if it is graded and the grade in which is is received. Is your card already graded ? The good news is according to the video Ebay will begin grading cards. If true, they will be competing with Beckett and PSA. Not sure what the charge will be but the two currently grading cards is ridiculously priced. There are very few cards that will sell for enough to pay to have most cards graded, they have to be very rare to make it worthwhile.

Message 5 of 33
latest reply

eBay vault

It will be interesting to see if eBay gets into grading. PSA and Beckett are independent of the selling/sales side which eBay would be connected. This might not go over well with Collectors since it would raise questions of legitimacy. Only time will tell. 

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

eBay vault

How much extra money do you think you will get, once you take into account your fees, services, and the risk of chargebacks de to claims, as opposed to sell it on other venues that might not have any fees and will be more of a cash transaction? When it comes to eBay, please remember that:

1) Buyer is always right

2) Seller is always wrong

3) Never sell anything you can't afford to lose

4) In case of doubt, go back and re-read from #1

Message 7 of 33
latest reply

eBay vault

We don't know anything about your card and we still know far too little about the Vault. If you are in no rush to sell the card, sure, go ahead and wait, at least until we have details about the Vault. 

Message 8 of 33
latest reply

eBay vault

Absolutely there will be fees to use the Vault.  Ebay isn't and shouldn't just give away all the money they have invested in getting this program on its feet and build that building too.  

Message 9 of 33
latest reply

eBay vault

I wouldn't wait. The chance that your buyer wants to keep it in the vault are minimal. The vault could also wind up being an absolute disaster. I wouldn't want to be the one to beta test the thing for them.

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

eBay vault

@onefootflipper wrote:

I wouldn't wait. The chance that your buyer wants to keep it in the vault are minimal. The vault could also wind up being an absolute disaster. I wouldn't want to be the one to beta test the thing for them.

Good question.  Has Ebay beta tested the Vault with some sellers?

velvet@ebay 

tyler@ebay 

jasmen@ebay 

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

eBay vault

@mam98031 wrote:

Absolutely there will be fees to use the Vault.  Ebay isn't and shouldn't just give away all the money they have invested in getting this program on its feet and build that building too.  

I believe eBay is using the term (eBay Vault) as a euphemism.

I see nowhere were eBay is claiming that they are building a

physical Vault to safely store anything.

If I had to guess, more than likely it will be similar to the

authentication process they have now. But with the option

for the seller to send it to them ahead of time to store

before a sale.

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

eBay vault

@mam98031 wrote:

I believe eBay is using the term (eBay Vault) as a euphemism.

I see nowhere were eBay is claiming that they are building a

physical Vault to safely store anything.

If I had to guess, more than likely it will be similar to the

authentication process they have now. But with the option

for the seller to send it to them ahead of time to store

before a sale.

Message 13 of 33
latest reply

eBay vault

That would be a disaster. Depending on value, an auction house might be better

Message 14 of 33
latest reply

eBay vault

@mam98031 wrote:

@onefootflipper wrote:

Good question.  Has Ebay beta tested the Vault with some sellers?

velvet@ebay 

tyler@ebay 

jasmen@ebay 

Hey @mam98031! This is a very new service that we have been provided little info about, but you can text VAULT to 20633 to get the latest launch news and updates. I'll also include the link to the announcement page here in case others want to learn more. 

. The best way to stay up to date 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 15 of 33
latest reply