cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Store Video Statistics

Hi,

I am a long-time seller on eBay and noticed the uncompleted task in the store manager of adding a store video to highlight our store and brand.
It mentions, "Stores with a seller video have up to 33% more conversion."
I am wondering where I can find the information behind that statistic? If that information is accurate it would be a huge boost in sales, but with the way that statistics can be manipulated, it sounds like a too-good-to-be-true scenario. Where can I find the data behind this statistic?
I am also wondering where I can find a store or store video(s) that was successful in order to get a better idea of the best practices in creating one. Can anyone help?

Kindest regards

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: eBay Store Video Statistics

@sun_pure_botanicals wrote:

I am wondering where I can find the information behind that statistic? 

33% more is "up to 33% more". 

0% more is also "up to 33% more". 

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

@sun_pure_botanicals wrote:

I am wondering where I can find the information behind that statistic? 

33% more is "up to 33% more". 

But 0% more is also "up to 33% more".  

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

@sun_pure_botanicals  My advice? Ignore the statistic. Not because it isn't "true"...it probably is, as far as it goes, but it is meaningless as far as your store or my store go. 

Instead ask whether a store video could benefit your business. Glancing at what you sell, I think a video might be helpful....whether to show how you select the stuff you sell, or how you package it, or whatever. Basically, it would be about building trust in your buyers, and answering questions you think they might have. (However, I believe it can only be about a minute long, so you can only get so much across).

I don't sell in a niche, I sell a variety of mostly single quantity long tail used items. I might benefit from a video, but I might take a different approach.

Here's the main reason I have not created a real store video: despite seller pleas, and despite the fact that ebay evidently has the data, ebay does not share any traffic data with us about stores or store videos.  So, I can spend time and effort to create a video, but , at least at present, I'll have no way of knowing how many people have viewed the video, how many clicked through to my items afterwards, etc.  In short, I would have NO WAY to really measure the impact of the video.

For an example of a video I think looks good (I have no idea how effective it has been for the seller), take a look at:

https://www.ebay.com/str/tikipugmusic#tab1

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Skewed statistic. Consider  the type of person to take the time to make a store video. This person would more than likely be doing other things to increase sales for their store. For example, pay promotion fees. Now if you were to compare the type of person that uploads a video to their store with the entire general public selling on eBay, you are going to have a significance in sales conversions. The phrasing is manipulative. It is to make you believe uploading a video and only uploading a video will have a chance to increase your sales by 33%. Logically we have to know this isn't going to increase our sales that much. If they were to take the same data and compare only the people who don't pay for promotions... I bet you anything the difference would be of no significance. If there was a significance,  the way they phrased the stat would be different as they would want to highlight change in sales from not having a video to having a video. 

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@sun_pure_botanicals 

The statistic is not accurate.

If i add (Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up) video clip at my store, Will i get 33% more conversion, Nonsense.

it's depends on video's contain, if the video containing useful information about your business or your products, in this case the conversion will increase according quality of the video's contain.

("Winter Is Coming")
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Almost like they copy the tiktok / youtube shorts hype and trying to compare those to their "videos".

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Actually, I love that song and would probably visit your store just for that video lol

"I'm for truth no matter who tells it. I'm for JUSTICE no matter who it is for or against." - Malcolm X
"Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in periods of moral crisis maintain their neutrality." - JOHN F. KENNEDY
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

There is a 150 mb file limit on store promo videos. That size is virtually useless for a quality video. Also has to be less than a minute.

This also bothers me: "The first frame of your video will be the image customers first see." So obviously no option to create a custom thumbnail. 

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@r_lresale wrote:

Actually, I love that song and would probably visit your store just for that video lol

You welcome anytime.😂

@r_lresale 

("Winter Is Coming")
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

@sun_pure_botanicals  My advice? Ignore the statistic. Not because it isn't "true"...it probably is, as far as it goes, but it is meaningless as far as your store or my store go. 

Instead ask whether a store video could benefit your business. Glancing at what you sell, I think a video might be helpful....whether to show how you select the stuff you sell, or how you package it, or whatever. Basically, it would be about building trust in your buyers, and answering questions you think they might have. (However, I believe it can only be about a minute long, so you can only get so much across).

I don't sell in a niche, I sell a variety of mostly single quantity long tail used items. I might benefit from a video, but I might take a different approach.

Here's the main reason I have not created a real store video: despite seller pleas, and despite the fact that ebay evidently has the data, ebay does not share any traffic data with us about stores or store videos.  So, I can spend time and effort to create a video, but , at least at present, I'll have no way of knowing how many people have viewed the video, how many clicked through to my items afterwards, etc.  In short, I would have NO WAY to really measure the impact of the video.

For an example of a video I think looks good (I have no idea how effective it has been for the seller), take a look at:

https://www.ebay.com/str/tikipugmusic#tab1

(For an example of a video I think looks good (I have no idea how effective it has been for the seller), take a look at:)

It might improve their sales but not necessarily on eBay.

8.jpg

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@eunster1313  The link you are highlighting redirects to their ebay store, not to an offsite store. I think many sellers use links like this, since they are easier to remember than the actual store URL.

Reviewing my post, since this topic seems to have been revived, I'll stick with what I've said: Stats like the one mentioned are of no real consequence, and should have no impact on whether to create a video or not. I am quite certain some sellers will see real benefits from a video , others will not. 

I was hoping (but certainly not expecting) that ebay would announce traffic info for videos/storefronts in time for Q4, but both ebay Open and the Fall Seller Update have come and gone, and: nothing. It's worth remembering that if you are active in social media, the video can be posted to a business Facebook page etc...so it can actually provide some value beyond the Store's About page. 

If I were in a niche, let's say I sold only Holiday decor items, or maybe I make personalized dog sweaters, yeah, I'd probably do a store video. As far as I know, you can put a link to your store video in your Listing Description, which might also be helpful. It doesn't have to take a lot of time to make, and it doesn't have to have a highly polished look to it. 

My rather dormant creative side would  enjoy creating a video (I did one last year, but it was seasonal , not meant to stay up). But for now, it can wait.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

I'm gonna make a video of me packaging an order with a pizza box and duct tape and see if it increases sales 😄

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Dont forget the banana

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

We have a video in the about us section of our store. 

I can't say if it helps or not I would like to think it does if any body actually looks at it, if nothing else it shows our operation and I would hope takes away the immediate impression I think most people get when they thing "Junk Yard", "Salvage Yard", "Auto Recycler". (girly pics on the walls,dark and dingy,etc).

The industry has come a long way from what you see in movies and televisions shows. 

We also used one on a high performance engine we had for sale. Once again I don't know if it helped in the sale but I personally think it did, the customer was able to see the engine running and more importantly hear it.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply