cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buyer dont read description & abusing the return policy!

long story short. i been with ebay for 12 years. never had a problem until now.

sold 1 item and buyer had time to read description since we negotiate a bit.

FpmNimjXoAArMWU.jpg

he get item, then later he saying the wire  is  exposed (**bleep** lol). he cant use it and want to return. 

so he goes and trying to abuse the return policy saying it not good, etc. clearly guy just didnt read, he could of just use a C cable wire. that all it is... but hey dude an engineer.. ok.

so basically he wins the case, return the item and get money back. then leave me with a smart a$$ sarcastic comment. (pic below).

how is this fair?  falsely accusing me of wrong information then walk free with no consequence of this?

so iam asking for help since i been trying to talk to ebay and having a hard time going to support

thanks

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

10 REPLIES 10

Assume buyers do not read the description.  If it's not in your title, and the main picture assume they won't see it.

However, 'wrong information' is also on you.  "Great Condition" with an exposed wire would not be "great condition" to me either.

As far as 'return abuse', there are FAR worse version you could have experienced.   Buyer leaving a sarcastic comment?  To me that is reasonably professional and again, could have been FAR worse

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

s-l1600.jpg

 this is the main pic. and also i was saying the square it self was fine. the wire i put in the description is exposed.  then i said it comes with other things.  so you telling me that buyer was right? lol

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I agree, saying it is in great condition was quite the exaggeration. I would have returned it too.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

"so you telling me that buyer was right?"

Yes.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

so what the point of the description? how about go buy a house base on title or car. tell me how that works for you. lol. dont read the contract (description) k.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I agree with buyer....saying great condition was completely wrong. A cord with an exposed wire is NOT great condition.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

so what the point of the description?

@nyheen10 

Has your buyer filed an eBay claim?  or are they just messaging you?   Do not do anything until that "return request" is filed. 

Once the buyer files an eBay claim (request), your description and photos no longer matter.  The item becomes whatever the buyer says it is for all practical purposes.  You could mention the "exposed wire" 10 times in your description, and proved 10 photos of same and the 'not as described' claim will go through anyway.  The process is all automated, and customer service is no longer allowed to interfere, even if the claim is for something described and shown in the listing.  

Once that claim is filed, you need to accept the return, provide the return label, and then pray you get YOUR item back instead of a brick.  You will be refunding no matter what is in the parcel. 

OR

You can ignore the claim, and eBay will take over.  Chances are really good that they simply will refund the buyer from your proceeds and allow them to keep the product for free.  You get a nasty performance ding for "cases closed without seller resolution" as well. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@nyheen10 wrote:

s-l1600.jpg

 this is the main pic. and also i was saying the square it self was fine. the wire i put in the description is exposed.  then i said it comes with other things.  so you telling me that buyer was right? lol

Well, yes....and no.  Within ebay, the buyer is mostly always right.  If buyers couldn't buy with confidence, there would be WAY less buyers.  

I currently have some items with damage listed.  I have in the title words like : destroyed, damaged, cracked, broken, chipped.  In the case of this wire, I would have said, "cable functions, but may not be safe.  I'll enclose the cable only so you have the old wire to better replace it.  So, if you purchase this item, know that you will need to get your own cable"   Sometimes I follow this up with, 'if these faults are not acceptable, it's best to pass this one by" or something similar.  In this case, I may have put in the title, NO CABLE, then said in the description, "I'll send the old cable so you can better replace it, but please know that the sheath is separated and should not be used."  

I have worked at various places, mostly industrial, where monthly, quarterly and yearly inspections are done on all electrical cords.  They place a current color tape around the cable to indicate it's been visually inspected.  This cable with your item would have been replaced and the item taken out of service until it was.  Some of the places would have just replaced the entire appliance. 

When my brother was in the hospital, I bought him a plug in radio / CD player.  Still in the box, maintenance still had to inspect it and tag it inspected before we could use it in his room. 

If I understood correctly, the buyer was saying it couldn't be used where they had intended to use it.  While they SHOULD have noticed the cable damage, they either did and didn't think it would be a problem, or they didn't notice it. 

I currently have a pot listed.... the title says: "Duncan Hines, bla bla, no handles, no lid".  In the condition box, it says no handles, no lid.  I also say in the listing it has no handles, and show a close up of the spots where the handles are to be placed. 

A bowl title is, "Fluffy Rose bla bla, cracked."  The condition box says cracked. The description says cracked, and there are close ups of the crack. The bowl sold, then the buyer requested (AFTER the 1 hour allowed) to cancel the order because they 'didn't notice it was cracked'.  I was miffed, but cancelled the order.  I came here to vent, and the best advice was, "Don't take it personally" .

If, in the photos, if you show a close up of the cable 'damage' (which the above picture doesn't), list it in the title, list it in the condition box, and in the description, you've done your due diligence, so you're right, the buyer wrong, IMO.  However, this is ebay.  If the buyer doesn't want their item, they have a return window.

Even after the return window, they can involve their credit card company or PayPal. 

Last thought:  You said you've been selling on ebay 12 years and not had this problem before.  While this situation is frustrating, you've been very blessed.  Refund, Relist with more warnings, and don't take it personally. 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I am sorry you are going thru this

the answer to your problem is in the title

this is a simple case of return abuse

its not a scam, its not a flim flam

its  what you already said it was..its just return abuse

if the buyer has opened up a return claim you need to say YES to it and get the buyer a return label

all sellers are going to encounter return abuse sooner or later

ebay gives all buyers the right to force a return or SNAD/not as described

all of the above is spelled out in the MBG or money back guarantee

@nyheen10 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Screenshot_20230316_053721_Gallery.jpg

Message 11 of 11
latest reply