cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

addition to TOS, will buyers understand it?

Lately I have been ending auctions and selling to the first bidder. (Yes, I understant I may miss out on bidding up, that has occured to me, thanks).

I am thinking of adding language to some auctions like this "I may end this auction to sell to the first bidder". Would people understand this? And maybe get motivated to go ahead and bid?

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Re: addition to TOS, will buyers understand it?

While many posters here read TOS, because of the way ebay has the app set up and the threads that have become commonplace here - it is obvious that most buyers don't read the descriptions, let alone TOS.

My advice, if your listing is of a book that there are less than 5 on ebay and most that are listed sell - run the item as an auction and let the listing run to it's end. 

Since what you are suggesting is nothing more than BIN with more work (and potential ebay repurcussions ) for you, just list everything else sell as a cheap BIN and quit trying o squeeze extra bucks out of them.

(*Bleep*)
Message 2 of 64
latest reply

Why run auctions at all? As noted in the other post, this strategy is more work than fixed price format. Furthermore, you can't use Immediate Payment Required and if you don't get any bids you're stuck with an insertion fee.

Message 3 of 64
latest reply

In addition to the issues raised by other posters, if a bidder is expecting you to end the auction and sell to them, but you don't, they might get annoyed at having to raise their bid to buy the item.  Better options would be to let the auction run its course, add BIN to the auction, or list it at a fixed price. 

Message 4 of 64
latest reply

Since what you are suggesting is nothing more than BIN with more work (and potential ebay repurcussions ) for you, just list everything else sell as a cheap BIN and quit trying o squeeze extra bucks out of them.

What repurcussions?

I run hundreds of FP listings so I am not unaware of that option. I like to run book lots through auctions first. I have a theory that people see an auction is going to end soon and may bid to get it. There is no urgency for buying FP stuff, it can sit there for months. Often I have moved lots from the store to auction format and then they sell.

Message 5 of 64
latest reply

@keziak wrote:

What repurcussions?

I run hundreds of FP listings so I am not unaware of that option. I like to run book lots through auctions first. I have a theory that people see an auction is going to end soon and may bid to get it. There is no urgency for buying FP stuff, it can sit there for months. Often I have moved lots from the store to auction format and then they sell.

Several of my fixed price listings are bought right before they would end so I think that sense of urgency must still exist for the fixed priced listing as well 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 6 of 64
latest reply

I simply would not bid on item like that.
Message 7 of 64
latest reply

@keziak wrote:

What repurcussions?

Right now not much, but ebay has the place set up so that you can get dings on your account if you don't sell to the first bidder just right.  The paranoia leads ebay to believe that you might be doing an off ebay tansaction that is cutting ebay out of fees.  And considering that sellers that are getting their postage off ebay are finding that ebay can not get the numbers right when it comes to their dashboard- I would not do anything that would force ebay to do math, and/or look at my account with suspicion. 

Then there is the fact that often when ebay makes policy changes for their latest money grab, they will make those changes retroactive.  I can see ebay installing a fee for ending the listing early.  Those potential repercussions, I am sure that there could be more.

I would not run lots of anything on ebay because of the potential for a buyer to cherrypick, but can understand what you are doing.  You acknowledge that people will bid on listings when they are about to end, but they usually will watch them first, so you should be able to tell if there is going to be interest at the end.

The way ebay is set up now is that if you set up a fixed price listing and leave it sit, ebay will gradually drop it in search results, but if you edit/change the listing, ebay will boost it giving it a much better chance of selling.  Auctions are incapable of sitting so they get auto boosts.

But for the past 10+ years, ebay has been doing everything to lure mall shoppers to the site as buyers and in doing so phasing out the merchandise/sellers that bring the collectors.  Right now the majority of merchandise on ebay is new merchandise that can be found at the mall, being sold BIN.  Mall shoppers do not understand auction listings, hence the option to place a BIN on them.

Auctions, especially true auctions imply that the buyer can get the item cheap if no one else bids.  Which is why a bid appears toward the end of the auction, buyer sees it's cheap and goes for it.   But most mall shoppers see the cheap price and bid and then abandon the listing once they see they have to wait to see if they won, so they use BIN on another one and ditch the bid.  If your item is collectable, they might stick around but will bail if someone else bids. 

So you can sell the listing just as fast with less work for you if you skip the auction and just set up your BIN at the chap price you were going to start the listing at and about halfway into it change the price a tiny bit to reindex it in ebay's search.

(*Bleep*)
Message 8 of 64
latest reply

I would be irate if you ended after the first bid. Did you know that most everyone snipes at the last second. Why waste people's time doing auctions if you are not going to do auctions ? Just list fixed price and leave auctions to those who actually want to do auctions.

Message 9 of 64
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

I would be irate if you ended after the first bid. Did you know that most everyone snipes at the last second. Why waste people's time doing auctions if you are not going to do auctions ? Just list fixed price and leave auctions to those who actually want to do auctions.

Thanks for your response though I respectfully disagree; most of my auctions do not get sniped at the end and I've already stated my rationale for running book lots as auctions sometimes instead of FP. 

Message 10 of 64
latest reply

Thanks for your response though I respectfully disagree; most of my auctions do not get sniped at the end and I've already stated my rationale for running book lots as auctions sometimes instead of FP. 

How would you know if you end them early to the highest bidder?  Just curious.

I saw that...

~KARMA
Message 11 of 64
latest reply

@keziak wrote:

Lately I have been ending auctions and selling to the first bidder. (Yes, I understant I may miss out on bidding up, that has occured to me, thanks).

I am thinking of adding language to some auctions like this "I may end this auction to sell to the first bidder". Would people understand this? And maybe get motivated to go ahead and bid?

So you plan on winning by losing, that should turn out really interesting, please keep us posted.

Message 12 of 64
latest reply

First off, why even bother to call it an auction?

Secondly, you will sound just like ebay - I may end the auciton and sell to the first bidder - at my sole discretion.

Personally, I would not think that this would be a really great idea.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 13 of 64
latest reply

I think as a potential buyer I'd think it was all too much hassle to try and understand just how this seller intends to do things.

Let's say you add that verbage to your listing.

What happens when a person bids, expecting it to be a buy it now and they win, then someone else comes along and bids? You already have #1 thinking it's theirs for the opening price. What if that person then outbids the scond bidder and your $10 item is now $35? Will you end it and sell to the first bidder for the opening price?

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 14 of 64
latest reply

I like to snipe, so I think I'd be a bit annoyed, but not so much that I'd consider leaving ebay. Another widget will be along soon, so meh...

Personally, I don't see any problem with ending to sell to current high bidder. It's just a bargain basement Best Offer to me...your minimum price is right there for everyone to see....

Shoppers, watchers and snipers aren't buyers until they bid. I'm not turning away a certain quick sale on the consideration that some other person who may or may not ever bid might feel slighted.

Although, for me, it's the word 'may' that sounds weasel-ish, if you get my drift.

Why not turn the statement around to make it a positive commitment? That would let other shoppers know to either make a move on the item or simply move on...can't complain if it's right there in the description for all to see.

Something like, "I AM willing to end this auction early and sell to the first bidder. If you are interested in buying this widget at the opening price immediately, let me know and I'll make it happen for you!"

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 15 of 64
latest reply