cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why so many bots "watching" items?

You`d think that real people interested in your items and they watch it. Just when you go to send an offer, you realize that there is no human watching your item (you can`t send an offer to all or some), but eBay`s bots make an impression that there is interest. And eBay is not hiding that they use bots. Why to mislead this way?

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Why so many bots "watching" items?

Well since they've completely destroyed the help section, it's hard to find any information. The help section is completely useless IMHO. I do know there are cases where sellers can offer more than one offer:

The offer you send can be for more or less than the Buy It Now price, and you can send a buyer up to 3 offers. Each offer is valid for 48 hours or until the listing is sold, whichever comes first.

Message 31 of 36
latest reply

Well that may be part of the answer right there in what you wrote. You relist it because it has "watchers" that means a fee right off the bat for eBay, if it isn't part of a package from a store or a promotion.  I never thought of that before you said it because I do it too.

Message 32 of 36
latest reply

There has ALWAYS been the first couple of watchers that where bots checking listings for violations and such. After that Ebay DOES NOT add watchers to mislead sellers into thinking more people are watching. Hopefully this rumor can now end before it snowballs and new sellers come here thinking it is true.

Message 33 of 36
latest reply

I've always felt the first few "views"  were bots, but have never felt that "watchers" are bots. 

Message 34 of 36
latest reply

@fern*wood 

You would be correct as I didn't think anyone thought watchers are bots, I meant views being bots.  There is no such thing as watcher bots. Looks like just another board rumor.

Message 35 of 36
latest reply

Or one person opted out, or had reached their max for the month (I'm sure there is some protection so even people opted in don't get just scads of offers).

Message 36 of 36
latest reply