cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why doesn't Ebay share traffic analytics with us?

We create a listing and Ebay wants us to help get the ball rolling by sharing the listing via email,  and 3 social media outlets.  Sometimes social media gets a view before the item goes live or do they?   Who if anyone is looking at our listings?

Many of us have had websites and get real time analytics which include location,  whether they are on a PC or Cellphone,  whether they slurp their coffee/tea/soup and which leg do they prefer to cross.  In other words we see valuable information we could use to close the deal.  As a seller I want to know if they added one of my items to the cart. Perhaps shipping was too expensive ?  Cold feet?   Whatever it might have been I want to try to figure it out and close the deal.  We don't even get traffic reports until a week or more later. To me this is ignorant.  They give us links to share the listings but don't trust us enough with data to show our expertise?  All they do is send out a junk folder message.  They know very little about selling. If anything they irritate people with auto messages.  

I've brought the subject up before but never got any answers.  Are they purposely hiding the data from us so we don't learn they're not always showing our listings?   Do they figure after two or 3 weeks we'd forget?   I'd love to know if I actually generated any traffic by sharing my listings.  I'd love to compare that with organic views to see if there is any correlation.  Who knows maybe I come up with an idea to complete the sale.  It would seem I'll never get the chance to try since I'm so lost in the dark.  My page views were bad according to Ebay.  So I ran some sharing campaigns but according to Ebay I got minimal views.  On average each 0-1 view listing went up to 35-40 after my sharing.  So all those views were fake?   Why tell me my listing has views but show me a different number on the traffic reports?  Duplicate viewer?  Thought those were filtered out?   Bots?   To sum up I think Ebay needs to come clean and stop treating us like children.  We need data to adjust our businesses in REAL TIME.  

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Why doesn't Ebay share traffic analytics with us?

It's very frustrating and I really do not understand the reasoning.  If they can do it a week late, they can do it today. They manage to show your promoted listings traffic in close to real time.  Obviously this is deliberate, I just don't understand why.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would LOVE to see the data of views on PC/laptop compared to mobile devices. I don't have a smart phone and wonder if my listings are even seen on phones or other mobile devices. You're right, our useful data is very limited.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

True,  I stopped promoting listings a while back because I thought it was just charity.  

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I can tell you right now MOST of all your views are from mobile devices.  I don't think there is a breakdown between tablets and phones but most people shop on mobile now.  It's been that way for years which is frightening to me.  Well not really but alarming because it's so easy to make a frivolous purchase.  Just them not telling us that is bad enough.  With phones item specifics not description are more important.  I know  that much.  

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Here's another argument,  Ebay wants us to use "Promoted listings" well we have no data to justify using such a promotion.  I haven't seen traffic reports since the 19th and they looked off.  My own traffic reports that is what I see say I generate traffic without promoted listings.  Well which is it?   Is Ebay not showing us data hoping we opt in for promoted listings?  That's only slightly insane.  

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Whenever eBay does share any kind of analytics the numbers are always way off and/or significantly delayed from real time.

Why don't they share info we keep asking for? One guess is that they don't want to spend the money required to build out accurate reporting systems.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Been asking for it for years........  the old Omniture program was a pain in many ways, but it sure had info.........

I sometimes wonder if the people that are in charge of traffic stats have any idea of how/what we would like to have........and could well use.  They, we, want more traffic to the site..and sellers could help bring it here IF we could see that what we are doing actually does succeed........  Mystery to me....      

Message 8 of 8
latest reply