cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my no pay, no response buyer still have a 100% positive rating?

I sold items at auction and after repeated invoices, a polite email received neither a reply or payment.  I reported to ebay and was able to relist my items.  But why does he still get a 100% positive rating?  I cannot leave feedback but shouldn't sellers be made aware he was a no pay, no correspondence ebayer?

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Why does my no pay, no response buyer still have a 100% positive rating?

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

More good buyers were probably unfairly negged than sellers would get useful warnings anyway. Why give some of the crazy angry sellers we see here the ability to neg your good buyers and drive them away?

Besides which, many of the bad "buyers" are actually resellers so it makes one wonder who the warnings are for. This is not a team sport.

I firmly believe it's more about spanking than it is about warning.

Considering the buying, trading and haggling of feedback - by both sides - over the years, I thought I was merely stating the current state of affairs and particular mind-set of ebay, according to their peculiar reasoning.  Personally, I wasn't meaning to advocate feedback either way. 

Keeping in mind that feedback hasn't been meaningful for quite some time - since the 'neutral equals negative' and DSR fiascoes - I seem to be more in the camp of those who don't see much use for it.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 16 of 35
latest reply

When I was doing auctions, even with NPB blocks set, I as still getting my share of non-payers. If I gave them all negs just for not paying that would make me look kinda... hostile. Anyone can see the feedback we leave, you know.

Set your blocks. After a few days check your account> site prefs> buyer requirement activity log. All those guys are the deadbeats you never had to deal with or even know they tried.

Good luck~

Message 17 of 35
latest reply

@gracieallen01  It was a general comment to the thread, not intended to be a criticism of your post.

If I wanted to address something specific that you said I would have copied the relevant parts into my post.

Message 18 of 35
latest reply

@robot-hands

keep pushing good sellers out the chance of getting a bad one increases

I disagree.

EBay is not protecting bad sellers and aiming at good ones. 

EBay is losing some good sellers because they are held to the same standard as all those bad sellers.

We all have bad days.

If there were a fixed number of sellers, 100 good and 100 bad, eventually you would have no bad sellers and fewer good sellers.

But the remaining sellers would be good.

And probably selling harnesses for flying pigs.

But with more sellers arriving every day, both the good and the bad sellers are being replaced.  As an optimist, I hope the good sellers continue to outnumber (and outsell) the bad.

Message 19 of 35
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

EBay is not protecting bad sellers and aiming at good ones. 

No they protect bad buyers at good sellers' expense.

Every one of those new "good" sellers will learn the hard way and new sellers don't have near the incentive to stick around like someone that has been slogging it out for 20 years here.

Perhaps I'm wrong but the evidence doesn't support that.

Message 20 of 35
latest reply

@robot-hands wrote:

@gracieallen01 wrote:

.  They know that the sellers aren't going anywhere 

Not until it becomes more hassle than the money is worth.

It levels out faster and faster with every new  poorly thought out seller update.

You keep pushing good sellers out the chance of getting a bad one increases and that cycle is unsustainable until all that is left is bad buyers and bad sellers.

We're watching it happen.

People have saying since 2008 that they were seeing all of the good sellers go and that eventually there would be no good sellers left.  I guess eventually is more than 10 years..

Message 21 of 35
latest reply

@gracieallen01  It was a general comment to the thread, not intended to be a criticism of your post.

If I wanted to address something specific that you said I would have copied the relevant parts into my post.

Thank you for mentioning it.  I hate it when that happens - and I do it all the time!  Smiley LOL

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 22 of 35
latest reply

Im fairly new to selling on eBay but it has been a big disappointment.  eBay treats its sellers horribly and its good or bad buyers great.  It would be wonderful if it was different. But I am completely turned of from the experience and wish eBay would show some respect to its sellers. I called numerous times and got no support.  It seems like the best thing to do is leave and never come back as a buyer or a seller.  Hopefully it will change in the future into an honest and fair venue for both sellers and buyers.

Message 23 of 35
latest reply

Since 2008 all buyers have a 100% positive feedback rating.  Sellers have not been allowed to leave them anything less than that since then.  Only thing to do with a non-paying buyer is to file a UID and go through the process of giving them a strike.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 24 of 35
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

People have saying since 2008 that they were seeing all of the good sellers go and that eventually there would be no good sellers left.  I guess eventually is more than 10 years..

Oh people have been saying it much longer than that, mostly stuff and nonsense until the last few years here. Heck even regular posters in here will tell you up is down and black is white. People say nutty stuff all the time.

Problem is people are saying, seeing and experiencing it happen now.

Message 25 of 35
latest reply

@dependable_sam 

I'm sorry to hear you have had a poor selling experience.

Calling customer service is usually a frustrating experience.

Most problems can be solved by the robotic Resolution Centre, which handles claims of non-payment,  non-delivery, and of Not As Described.

If you have a problem and do not know what to do, start your own post describing the problem for targetted advice.

Message 26 of 35
latest reply

"Why does he still get a positive rating?"

Because buyers can be given nothing except positive.  If a seller opens a nonpayment case successfully, that buyer will have a "strike", but there will be no visible evidence of that that can be seen by anyone on eBay.

Just the way it is.  

Message 27 of 35
latest reply

@robot-hands wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Oh people have been saying it much longer than that, mostly stuff and nonsense until the last few years here. Heck even regular posters in here will tell you up is down and black is white. People say nutty stuff all the time.

Problem is people are saying, seeing and experiencing it happen now.

I agree completely with this last line.

I am a seller with 100% positive feedback but I have cut my listings way back.  I have branched out to another site in order not to have 'all my eggs in one basket.'   

I also just don't feel secure in selling on this site any longer.  Policy changes overnite, lack of good seller protection, glitches,  search issues, etc. have combined to scare away many good sellers who do care about good customer service for their buyers.

The changes since 2008 have not made it safer for sellers, only buyers and that is scary.

This was the premium site to sell on.  E-bay had it made and apparently didn't know it.  They were the Big Dog and had little or no competition.     It no longer is, IMHO.

It the management had stuck to the original premise of this site, I believe that they would have done very well. 

But they apparently thought that the competition was doing it better than they were so they started to imitate others. 

Feedback is just one example of what I mean. 

The constant comments from people on these forums about  'no one else has negative feedback for buyers, so we shouldn't'  just makes this site one of the crowd.   And I could use other examples like the catalog, etc.

There is nothing any longer that makes E-bay stand out from the rest. This marketplace is  no longer unique.

COYOTES RULE!!!

Message 28 of 35
latest reply

If this was like the old days buyers would have no protection against scamming sellers or bad feedback. How long do you think people would put up with being ripped off then negged for complaining? Especially now they have dozens of choices in venues.

Ebay started protecting buyers because they had to, not to copy other sites.

Message 29 of 35
latest reply

If this was like the old days buyers would have no protection against scamming sellers or bad feedback. How long do you think people would put up with being ripped off then negged for complaining? Especially now they have dozens of choices in venues.

Ebay started protecting buyers because they had to, not to copy other sites.

It works just the opposite also.  How long do you think that a seller will put up with being ripped off and scammed before they decide it is not worth it to sell on this site? And how long do you think that sellers will put up with being given negatives for things that they have no control over, like slow shipping in transit, item doesn't fit because the buyer didn't measure right, etc?

It works both ways.

And feedback is just the opinion of some stranger.  It may be true, it may be a blatant lie on the part of both.

But what causes me, as both a buyer and seller, some concern is E-bay's total disregard for the truth by taking the side of only one party to the transaction.  Essentially telling buyers that sellers are always to blame for any issue and basically saying that you cannot trust the seller.

If E-bay cannot determine who is at fault they should not be playing one side against the other.

It is an easy out for E-bay to do it the way they are now.  They don't have to spend any time or money on a dispute and since sellers are a dime a dozen and buyers are so rare, why would they care?

I am guessing that the disputed issues are a minor percentage of all the transactions that are done on this site daily.

And I am guessing that the unwarranted negatives given to some buyers were also a small fraction of the total feedbacks given on a particular day.

It is just that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.   When a small group of people yell loud enough and long enough, they sometimes get what they want just to shut them up.

It seems to me that sometimes on this site, that out of a hundred people, the five that are unhappy about the way things go, seem to rule.

COYOTES RULE!!!

Message 30 of 35
latest reply