cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my no pay, no response buyer still have a 100% positive rating?

I sold items at auction and after repeated invoices, a polite email received neither a reply or payment.  I reported to ebay and was able to relist my items.  But why does he still get a 100% positive rating?  I cannot leave feedback but shouldn't sellers be made aware he was a no pay, no correspondence ebayer?

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

There is a bidder block available for sellers to block any bidder with two or more UIDs in the last 12 months. An automatic block works much better than feedback which most sellers will never see.

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

@oregontreefrog wrote:

I sold items at auction and after repeated invoices, a polite email received neither a reply or payment.  I reported to ebay and was able to relist my items.  But why does he still get a 100% positive rating?  I cannot leave feedback but shouldn't sellers be made aware he was a no pay, no correspondence ebayer?

Because ebay needs happy buyers more than they need happy sellers.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 3 of 35
latest reply

@oregontreefrog 

All buyer-only accounts have 100% positive feedback.

Sellers have not been able to leave anything else since 2008.

The way to deal with non payers is by opening and closing Unpaid Item Disputes.

You can open an Unpaid Item Dispute 48 hours and one minute after the listing ends.

You then close it 96 hours and one minute after you open it.

You get your fees back, the "buyer" gets a strike and nobody gets to leave feedback.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/unpaid-items.html

2 or more Unpaid Strikes will make it difficult for a buyer to purchase anything from sellers who have their Buyer Preferences set correctly,

By adding buyer requirements to your listing, you can stop members from bidding on or buying your items based on certain criteria.:

To add buyer requirements:

Go to Site Preferences in My eBay.
In the Buyer Requirements section, click Show, and then click Edit.
Select your requirements, and the click Submit.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

Because it doesn't work that way.  Since you can't leave negative feedback, that percentage doesn't go down.  All buyers have 100%.  The buyer who doesn't pay you may pay others down the road.

Opening and closing an Unpaid item Dispute, which you are doing, right? gives the buyer a strike and just two blocks them from buying from most sellers who use this very popular block.  In addition, you get your fees back.

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

Let me save you some frustration. You can not name the buyer here, it will get you in trouble. (name and shaming) is a no no here.

Negative feedback for buyers was taken away some time ago (years) because it was at some point claimed that "seller's were engaging in negative feedback against the buyers for leaving honest negative feedback"

The feedback part comes up like once a week in here minimum.....welcome to the bay
Message 6 of 35
latest reply

You open an Unpaid Item Case and close it four days later if no payment.  The buyer receives a strike.  Most sellers have buyers with two or more strikes blocked from bidding on their items.  Do You have your buyer requirements set?

Account Tab> Site Preferences> Selling Preferences> Buyer's Requirements> show> edit.   Also, set up your Shipping preferences while you are there.

After you close the UPI case, you get your FVF credited and can relist.  Buyers that can not bid on items and are restricted to Buy It Now items requiring immediate payment is more effective than a negative feedback.

I am not an eBay employee. I'm a US eBay Community Mentor.

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

The Unpaid Item Block on deadbeats is much more efficient than feedback, since most sellers use Fixed Price listings and only meet their customers when they buy.

The Block does not allow them even to bid.

The way to use feedback is to read the FB Left for Others-- which will give you a much better idea of the buyer's mindset.

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Actually they need both. 

One without the other is a spiralling out of control death coaster.

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

@robot-hands wrote:

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Actually they need both. 

One without the other is a spiralling out of control death coaster.

Quite true, but they will settle for happy buyers over happy sellers.  They know that the sellers aren't going anywhere - and if they do, there are plenty to replace them to sell their 'smartphones', etc.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 10 of 35
latest reply

More good buyers were probably unfairly negged than sellers would get useful warnings anyway. Why give some of the crazy angry sellers we see here the ability to neg your good buyers and drive them away?

Besides which, many of the bad "buyers" are actually resellers so it makes one wonder who the warnings are for. This is not a team sport.

I firmly believe it's more about spanking than it is about warning.

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

Yes,  although many claim it is about warning, the fact that in most cases, you won't know who the buyer is until after the fact kind of blows that out of the water, IMO.

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

But why does he still get a 100% positive rating?

Because feedback percentages are based on feedback, and buyers can only get psotive feedback. Buying feedback is meaningless - any attention you give it is wasted time and energy. 

shouldn't sellers be made aware he was a no pay, no correspondence ebayer?

If you file an unpaid item dispute to give the buyer a nonpayment strike, any seller who has chosen to put a block in place will benefit. 

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

.  They know that the sellers aren't going anywhere 

Not until it becomes more hassle than the money is worth.

It levels out faster and faster with every new  poorly thought out seller update.

You keep pushing good sellers out the chance of getting a bad one increases and that cycle is unsustainable until all that is left is bad buyers and bad sellers.

We're watching it happen.

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

It might not be the buyers fault. Out of millions of transactions on eBay every day, how many buyers die before they can pay? 

Message 15 of 35
latest reply