cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I have to sign up for INT. shipping when I dont sell INT.

I dont understand why I have to sign up for something I don't use, need, or want. Here is my pleasant invitation.

Dear doug_5857,

Over the next few weeks you will be automatically enrolled into eBay International Shipping, a new program designed to make the process of international selling and shipping more convenient and cost-effective.

eBay International Shipping retains all the elements of the eBay Global Shipping Program and eBay international standard delivery, and provides these additional features:

• eBay handles returns. If a buyer wishes to return an item, eBay will provide them with a return label and issue a refund, at no cost to you. The seller keeps the sale.
  • No international selling fees. There are no international selling fees on items sent through the eBay international Shipping program.
  • Once enrolled, your new listings will automatically default to eBay International Shipping and any existing Global Shipping Program listings will be automatically updated.  
  • If you have existing listings with eBay international standard delivery or USPS international as shipping options, you will need to manually update those to receive the benefits offered through the new eBay International Shipping program. We have developed step-by-step guides for this manual update process for single, bulk, and My eBay listings. Watch a video or download a How-to guide
  • Learn more about eBay International Shipping.

Thank you for selling on eBay,

Your Selling Team
Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Why do I have to sign up for INT. shipping when I dont sell INT.

I have NO interest in selling or shipping international!!!!!

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

@doug_5857 wrote:

Then don't. If you never sell internationally then you will never use the program. Since it is free it is of no concern and will cost you nothing. Ignore it.

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

My guess is because eBay is unilaterally Opting in every seller that is eligible whether they wish to be or not. EBay has done a terrible job with the transition to this program and more than a few sellers have posted on this board about problems and unilateral changes to their listings. When this program was announced and eBay said they would handle the transition from GSP to EIS I immediately opted out of GSP and updated my selling preferences to exclude EVERY foreign country in the world. 

The program has a LOT of restrictions and caveats and the bots are having some difficulty correctly updating seller listings based on those restrictions. 

How it works

If you're eligible, you'll be opted into the program. eBay International Shipping will become your default shipping option and we'll automatically add eBay International Shipping to your current listings. You may need to manually update some listings to offer eBay International Shipping.

We'll let you know when an item sells to an international buyer and provide you with the domestic shipping hub address. All you need to do is send your sold items to our domestic shipping hub, and we'll manage the international shipping and customs process for you.

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

You will be auto enrolled whether you ship international now or not; but the simple work around is:

Bulk Edit all items and exclude the 218 non-USA countries. 

Then, nothing will show for any buyer outside of USA (or it won't show you ship there)

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

@doug_5857 wrote:

Then don't. If you never sell internationally then you will never use the program. Since it is free it is of no concern and will cost you nothing. Ignore it.

With the way eBay or the EIS contractor is handling the transition I am not sure you can ignore it. 

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

I simply set my seller preferences to exclude EVERY country in the world but the US but I am constantly monitoring my listings to make sure eBay does not override those during the transition. 

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt  Exactly...I use this setup too and I also check after every edit / revision, every draft save, every 'sell like this' click, and every 'apply settings to all listings' click. When eBay sets a global default it has a way of sneaking back into things via the labyrinthine pathways of code and features.

FWIW, my email like this just arrived too. I'm guessing this will be a repeating topic for a while...Is there any way we could get the moderators to create a sticky thread clearly explaining steps on 'How to turn off EIS and keep it off'?

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

I already edit out those 217 countries. Hope it wont create any problems at all.

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

@doug_5857  You can always verify on any listing page by hitting the Shipping tab and opening up the country drop down. If you see anything except your expected 'United States' you have a problem. This is how I check my listings since it uses the code and isnt just 'text on a page'.

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

Looks like they had already entered my accounts into it.   You can go here to opt out:  

https://www.ebay.com/ship/prf

Or if you are afraid of links, it's found under = My Ebay > Account > Shipping Preferences

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

"Then don't. If you never sell internationally then you will never use the program. Since it is free it is of no concern and will cost you nothing. Ignore it."

==================

He said, and the message to him, said he'd be automatically enrolled. He's lucky he got a heads-up! I've heard of lots of sellers getting surprised by boxes being checked while listing, ghost listings, mysterious relisting things that have been already sold, and more.  Hopefully there's an 'opt-out' option.  Doug: Look at your listings, etc. carefully to see if there is one there.  Sounds like there may be several un-clicks coming.  I hope you don't HAVE to take this.  I agree with you here. I didn't like int sales because ebay can't protect you if there's a problem, they told me.  Keep us posted, please, and good luck!

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

FWIW, my email like this just arrived too. I'm guessing this will be a repeating topic for a while...Is there any way we could get the moderators to create a sticky thread clearly explaining steps on 'How to turn off EIS and keep it off'?

That would be nice if they would pin something to that effect. So far there have been a couple pined posts on this forum but they have been focused on how to transition to EIS as opposed to how to turn it off and keep it off. 😁

I am also not sure how much eBay is doing and how much the Chinese contractor running the EIS program is doing. 

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

I wouldn't just ignore it given the way the transition is going. A seller who does not wish to sell internationally may find themselves enrolled in the program and their listings updated and selling internationally without even knowing it. 

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:
@doug_5857 wrote:

With the way eBay or the EIS contractor is handling the transition I am not sure you can ignore it. 

Actually if you go to:

https://www.ebay.com/ship/prf

You will be presented with a page of preferences. At the top is EIS. Click edit, opt out and in my case I used as the reason  that I already have an international program in place. I didn't tell them (because they didn't ask) but I prefer Pirateship Asendia. It is cheaper, less restrictive on what I can ship and Proof of Delivery is kept forever, not just 90 days like eBay. I have seen comments from some posters that eBay is intercepting what otherwise would be perfectly legal products.

optout.jpg

Message 15 of 36
latest reply