cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are so many people so cheap these days?

I thought it was only at yard sales and on Craigslist that shoppers want everything for nothing.  I am findng the same mentality on eBay now.   I have been selling for about 10 years through various avenues and have never seen anything like this.  Have a brand new in package $175 quilt for sale on Craigslist (right now won't even think about listing it on eBay because of shipping costs) and am asking only $40.  Email I get yesterday only asks, "How low will you go?"  Really?  I know some people like this "game," but I am really tired of all the lowball offers.  

Message 1 of 225
latest reply
224 REPLIES 224

Ol' kyal might respond, "$39.95".
Message 2 of 225
latest reply

ebay has been encouraging buyers to haggle for years now.

And national news programs and talk shows have been instructing viewers on how to haggle a better price at even retail outlets to save money, so cheap has become a cancer that has metastasized to other areas.

If I were you, I'd send a I'll go $50. to the buyer (yes, I know it's priced at $40) and let them know that you aren't playing the haggle game.  Or you can spend the better part of your selling life figuring out what you want for your items and then adding 30 - 60% onto all the prices and telling them you will take offers so you can play the haggle game with success.

(*Bleep*)
Message 3 of 225
latest reply

They're a dealer. 

Put it on ebay for $100. Quilts aren't that heavy...

Message 4 of 225
latest reply

EBay began as an auction format wheree things were listed far below their value and the bidding wars would bring the price up to what the market would bear.

Those days are long gone, many EBay buyers want to have their purchase in their hands yesterday so there are far more fixed price listings. Most sellers will list their item at a competative price (as experienced by recent sales of the same kind of item), some sellers with list them at list (retail price) and some seller just guess at a price. Regardless, most sellers do not go with their bottom number since it leaves them no wiggle room to make deals.

More and more on EBay we have seen negotiating buyers and we joined in that fray. It often gives us opportunities to negotiate multiple sales to the same buyer.

Good negotiating skills are an art where when done right, leave both parties feeling they got a good deal. It is always understood that the asking price is higher than the bottom number though. We often have buyers purchase at asking price since we are competatively priced to begin with

Message 5 of 225
latest reply

Money is not plentiful. Having a job does not mean you have unlimited funds to spend, so you try for any deal you can find. And despite the reports, a WHOLE lotta folks ain't got no jobs.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 6 of 225
latest reply

You define it as cheap..........others define it as intelligent to try to get something at a lower price........

One lesson to learn in life:  not everyone thinks the way we, as individuals, do..........

Message 7 of 225
latest reply

@neveriiold wrote:

I thought it was only at yard sales and on Craigslist that shoppers want everything for nothing.  I am findng the same mentality on eBay now.   I have been selling for about 10 years through various avenues and have never seen anything like this.  Have a brand new in package $175 quilt for sale on Craigslist (right now won't even think about listing it on eBay because of shipping costs) and am asking only $40.  Email I get yesterday only asks, "How low will you go?"  Really?  I know some people like this "game," but I am really tired of all the lowball offers.  

Well that mentality won't last forever...went to some rummage sale's this past week...couldn't believe each one had ton's of stuff...priced possible too high for the low baller's...this will all end up in thrift stores or good will's at higher prices...

Message 8 of 225
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

They're a dealer. 

But they are bulky. Dimensional weight issue.

Message 9 of 225
latest reply

To me, being "intelligent" means knowing not to insult people with ridiculous offers.

Message 10 of 225
latest reply

There have always been hagglers.  I don't see any increase in their percentage in either our brick & mortar or our online business.  Hagglers are obviously drawn to craigslist, and to eBay Best Offer.  If my auction and buy-it-now listings seem to be only attracting hagglers, I'd be concerned about why the other 90% of shoppers aren't interested.

Message 11 of 225
latest reply

If sellers are "insulted" by business offers they need to put on their big person pants. Being insulted by a business offer by a stranger means sellers are unprofessional and allowing people they don't know to change their behavior and emotions. If someone you know says your brother is stupid or your dog smells, that is an insult. If it's a stranger trying to give you money it is business.

If people cannot step back and sell things without excess emotions they should not be selling.  BTW that includes referring to the other side as "cheap" or "lazy". Value laden group labels may be the passing fad in politics but they have no business there or in business.

Message 12 of 225
latest reply

OMG....They are!  I do not understand it. My seller account is used to sell vintage, hard-to-find car restoration parts. Most of my [possible] bidders are so tight, I can almost *hear* them squeaking! They may feel their car is worth $60,000.00, but heaven-for-bid, they should have to spend $30.00 for some rare bobble for it. And all from the comfort on-line shopping! No driving for miles to swap meets, no gasoline fees, and no walking for miles, in the hot sun...Searching. I mean, for crying in the beer!  If they are THAT cheap... Do the math there. It never used to be like this, but now, selling on eBay sounds like a hatchery...Cheep! Cheep! Cheep!

Message 13 of 225
latest reply

You raise a couple of valid points, but my premise remains.  If buyers can't afford the goods, they should move on and buy something else they can afford.

Message 14 of 225
latest reply

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

They're a dealer. 

But they are bulky. Dimensional weight issue.

The "Dimensional weight" factor only affects Priority Mail over 1 cubic foot that's going to Zones 5 - 9.  So offer Parcel Select or Retail Ground, where there's no size-related surcharge for packages up to a length-plus-girth of 84 inches.  That would be a box that's 24 x 15 x 15 inches (or 24 x 20 x 10, or 24 x 24 x 6), which is bigger than most folded quilts.  And offer Priority Mail as a reasonable second option that could be chosen by buyers in Zones 1 - 4.

Message 15 of 225
latest reply