cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are so many people so cheap these days?

I thought it was only at yard sales and on Craigslist that shoppers want everything for nothing.  I am findng the same mentality on eBay now.   I have been selling for about 10 years through various avenues and have never seen anything like this.  Have a brand new in package $175 quilt for sale on Craigslist (right now won't even think about listing it on eBay because of shipping costs) and am asking only $40.  Email I get yesterday only asks, "How low will you go?"  Really?  I know some people like this "game," but I am really tired of all the lowball offers.  

Message 1 of 225
latest reply
224 REPLIES 224

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

They're a dealer. 

Put it on ebay for $100. Quilts aren't that heavy...

But they are bulky. Dimensional weight issue.

But they compress.

Large Flat Rate board game box will work.  I listed a 40s handmade quilt on the other site yesterday and that is how it's gonna get shipped.

(*Bleep*)
Message 16 of 225
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

They're a dealer. 

The "Dimensional weight" factor only affects Priority Mail over 1 cubic foot that's going to Zones 5 - 9.  So offer Parcel Select or Retail Ground, where there's no size-related surcharge for packages up to a length-plus-girth of 84 inches.  That would be a box that's 24 x 15 x 15 inches (or 24 x 20 x 10, or 24 x 24 x 6), which is bigger than most folded quilts.  And offer Priority Mail as a reasonable second option that could be chosen by buyers in Zones 1 - 4.

And add the cost of insurance to the price since there's no auto insurance with non-priority shipping. 

Selling a quilt on ebay? Easy peasy compared to the artwork I sell in glass, chandeliers, boxes of heavy china.....wish I could sell quilts all day long. 

Message 17 of 225
latest reply

Buyers are acting in their own best interest. They should not be expected to act in the best interest of the seller.

Amazingly some sellers DO accept lower offers. They actually work and that's why people keep trying. That buyer probably has no idea how much the seller has into the item. I made a best offer two months ago on a hoodie. The seller did not accept and the hoodie is still up for sale. OTOH I have best offers accepted that I never expected would be.

All that said, sellers need to separate business from emotion. When you have a bad attitude about your customers that comes through in your emails and listings. You develop an attitude and a mindset that is deadly to business success.

We cannot change the behavior of these buyers but we can certainly improve our response to it.

Message 18 of 225
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

They're a dealer. 

But they compress.

Large Flat Rate board game box will work.  I listed a 40s handmade quilt on the other site yesterday and that is how it's gonna get shipped.

Agreed if the quilt is loose. OP's is new in package and those can be rather large. When I've sold them here in the past (NIP) I set up the shipping the way Partial outlined above.

Message 19 of 225
latest reply

@u_cant_take_it_with_u wrote:

OMG....They are!  I do not understand it. My seller account is used to sell vintage, hard-to-find car restoration parts. Most of my [possible] bidders are so tight, I can almost *hear* them squeaking! They may feel their car is worth $60,000.00, but heaven-for-bid, they should have to spend $30.00 for some rare bobble for it. And all from the comfort on-line shopping! No driving for miles to swap meets, no gasoline fees, and no walking for miles, in the hot sun...Searching. I mean, for crying in the beer!  If they are THAT cheap... Do the math there. It never used to be like this, but now, selling on eBay sounds like a hatchery...Cheep! Cheep! Cheep!

And if they feel that their car is worth $60,000 they will get all bent out of shape if someone offered them $59,000 for it when they put it on the market.

I've dealt with hagglers and they usually feel that it is a privilege only they are entitled to. 

The resellers wanting to cash in on the profit you are willing to give away, not so much, but the basic haggler will want top dollar for their stuff when they list it.

(*Bleep*)
Message 20 of 225
latest reply

@neveriiold

I saw an ad on tv, can't remember if it was wal-mart, or McDonalds.

Something like "It's a great first job"

But look at the age of most workers there, they are retirement age, or older.

Those of us at the tail end of the boomers, see the writing on the wall.

The American Dream, never worked out.

Back in the early 2000's I worked for a moving company.

We were moving old people from a perfectly good home, into Mc Mansions.

Half of those giant homes have a for sale sign, but no buyers.

The mad money is long gone, for many it is hand to mouth.

Message 21 of 225
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

They're a dealer. 

But they compress.

If it will fit into the large FRB (under 900 cubic inches), then it will also fit into the non-flat-rate Box 07, which measures 12 by 12 by 8 inches (1152 cubic inches) and is often cheaper than the flat FRB.     The weight-based rate for Priority Mail  is cheaper than the postage cost for the Large FRB's if you are shipping 5 pounds to Zone 6, 8 pounds to Zone 5, 15 pounds to Zone 4, etc.

Message 22 of 225
latest reply

I have accepted some lower/best offers on items.  For me the difference is very low-ball offers that just waste my time.  I am just trying to liquate what I have now.  I am done with the resale business.  Just not fun any longer.......

Message 23 of 225
latest reply

I am sorry but for some it has worked out.  I went from working as a secretary to completing a doctorate (without any grants, etc.).  I worked very hard to get where I am today.  I am not rich but comfortable and if I can't afford to buy something (or if I feel it is overpriced), I don't buy it.  I don't expect others to cut a deal for me when my funds are low.

Message 24 of 225
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

@retrose1 wrote:

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

They're a dealer. 

But they compress.

If it will fit into the large FRB (under 900 cubic inches), then it will also fit into the non-flat-rate Box 07, which measures 12 by 12 by 8 inches (1152 cubic inches) and is often cheaper than the flat FRB.     The weight-based rate for Priority Mail  is cheaper than the postage cost for the Large FRB's if you are shipping 5 pounds to Zone 6, 8 pounds to Zone 5, 15 pounds to Zone 4, etc.

I pack FR first because I have no idea where it is going and only about a third of the time the shipping will be cheaper than the FR.  If the destination is close and shipping is cheaper, I go that route and refund the buyer - who will always be pleased to get moeny back.

And entering one price is a whole lot faster and easier than figuring out the regioal box differences and/or filling in the blanks for calculated shipping.  It has been proven to me time and again that if I give the buyer options, they will ALWAYS go with the cheapest, but expect the best.

(*Bleep*)
Message 25 of 225
latest reply

Rose.....Giving some of the threads here, the benny-of-the-doubt, that they know that, and have been to the rodeo before...I believe what they are speaking of goes BEYOND, just  haggling frugality.... They are speaking of the ridiculously "thrifty" (being kind here) . Those who want more, than just a good deal. There is a fine line between "conscientious consumer", and just being plain, out-right, bloody TIGHT.

Message 26 of 225
latest reply

Ebay is unique to other types of sites in that you are competing with folks who do not do proper market research of their items. You get a lot of quick cash seekers here and they compete with people who are putting their stuff up at fair market value. Then, the whole history of Ebay being the place to get all things CHEAPO.  This has dramatically changed with big companies selling on Ebay now, but you still have the hagglers everywhere. You gotta know when to haggle and when to step back . A lot has to do with cash flow for your business in terms of a haggle point. 

Message 27 of 225
latest reply

Another thing that happens is that you get price point suggestions on Ebay that factor in all the cheapo quick cash seekers and the fair market value people and the averages of the sale price GOES DOWN. You get reminders to lower the price of your item because Ebay wants you to SELL IT, regardless if you take a loss.  At times you may need to take a loss to keep on going for cash flow. 

Message 28 of 225
latest reply

Yeah Dave,

My father had a pension, most baby boomers will not have this.  Research shows that most baby boomers are completely ill equipt to retire now. They are living their last days with jobs at Mcdonalds.

Message 29 of 225
latest reply

I sold a whole comforter set with a couple of actual pillows for $100 and shipped it in the smallest box I could fit it in.  I lost a couple of dollars in shipping but nothing too crazy.  I would box it, weigh it and go to USPS site to calculate price before you list it. You don't want to get skunked on shipping.

When I get a ridiculous offer, I either decline it or make a counteroffer with the lowest price I'll accept.  I got a $5 offer on a new with tags $50 cashmere sweater I was selling for my daughter! Really!!!!

Message 30 of 225
latest reply