cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who has to be more cautious, buyers or sellers?

This might turn out to be biased since I'm posting in the selling section.

In general, who do you think has the right to be more cautious in ebay, the buyer or the seller? Please also consider the severity and actual frequency of the buyer or seller scams that are on eBay.

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Who has to be more cautious, buyers or sellers?

Buyers have the "Money Back Guarantee," plus "Item Not Received," plus "Significantly Not As Described," plus 180 days PayPal refund, plus 100% positive feedback, plus the eBay Customer Service reps who are heavily weighted towards "the buyer is always right," etc.

The seller has. . .(crickets chirping).

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

@luckythewinnerwrote:

I think anyone - whether buyer or seller - has the right to be as cautious as they want. 

You're right I worded incorrectly. Everyone does have that right, nothing here is right or wrong. I meant to say because of circumstances and policies, frequency... who has more reason to be cautious?

Seems like majority have been saying buyers have less reason to worry. It might be biased because of the selling section my post is in, not sure. But anyway, I wonder if majority of buyers feel this way too. Does the average eBay buyer worry a lot when purchasing? If they understand eBay enough, they really shouldn't worry... but do they understand? I think if they understand and aren't worried, then that might increase more buyer sales in general. Yes that will also let in more riff-raff... but will the increase in legit sales be worth it? I'm sure all sellers would like more sales.

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

As far as protection - the buyer has more but I've seen more buyers being afraid to buy due to misrepresented items. This is not only occuring on Ebay but on other venues as well.

Everyone is in such a hurry to make money - they fail to adequately describe items - whether it's lack of measurements / dimensions, taking good photos, inspecting items so that they are adequately described. Friends who are veterans when it comes to buying - vetting sellers - asking additional questions before purchase if something is not addressed in the listing ect have had a really disappointing couple of years.

No one likes returns - neither the seller or the buyer. As a buyer - it's disappointing to not receive what I expected especially after doing my due diligence. It's a pain to have to contact the seller concerning the issue as many go right on the defensive thinking you are trying to scam them. It's a pain having to open a case - pkg the item back up and get it to the PO. I even hate returning items to a reg store - let alone doing an online return.

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

@tunicaslotwrote:
It's a pain having to open a case - pkg the item back up and get it to the PO. I even hate returning items to a reg store - let alone doing an online return.

One of the reasons I don't buy higher dollar things here.  I'd just rather eat the cost than return and with low dollar things, it's not really an issue.  Sometimes I can modify things or part them out.

I generally only return things to stores if I'm going to be going there for something else.  I never make a special trip to do so.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 19 of 28
latest reply

@tunicaslotwrote:

As far as protection - the buyer has more but I've seen more buyers being afraid to buy due to misrepresented items. This is not only occuring on Ebay but on other venues as well.

Everyone is in such a hurry to make money - they fail to adequately describe items - whether it's lack of measurements / dimensions, taking good photos, inspecting items so that they are adequately described. Friends who are veterans when it comes to buying - vetting sellers - asking additional questions before purchase if something is not addressed in the listing ect have had a really disappointing couple of years.

No one likes returns - neither the seller or the buyer. As a buyer - it's disappointing to not receive what I expected especially after doing my due diligence. It's a pain to have to contact the seller concerning the issue as many go right on the defensive thinking you are trying to scam them. It's a pain having to open a case - pkg the item back up and get it to the PO. I even hate returning items to a reg store - let alone doing an online return.

Let us be fair here.  You forgot to mention the buyers who now expect everything at their door 5 minutes after they buy it.  They do not take the time to read descriptions including sizes, condition or anything else.  Then they whine about not getting what they "thought" they were supposed to get and seller pays the price.  It costs a buyer nothing these days except a few clicks on their computer to buy and return, buy and return, buy and return. 

Two sides to every coin.  It is not ALWAYS the seller as some would continually insinuate.

Message 20 of 28
latest reply

Sellers.  I only buy now, and most of the items I've purchased are either vintage or low-level cheapies.  The cheapies to me are sort of like buying from the $$ store, does not work, in the garbage it goes.

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

How about rereading my post - no where did I say that we don't have buyers who don't do their due diligence and expect everything yesterday. I addressed the frequent threads and personal experiences of myself and friends in the past few years with purchases made on Ebay.

I'm an Ebay cheerleader here - if you ask - but some fail to see that it's not so much that we cheerleaders are always on Ebay and the buyers' side - we just look at things without prejudice and see both sides.

Due to many sellers sending SNAD items - we now have a new designation for returns - wrong item sent - why - when they ran OOS - instead of taking a defect - we'll just send them anything - a return is better than a defect.

There are still bad sellers here and not only do they hurt the reputation of good sellers - but buyers are losing cofidence in the site - and that should concern you - we don't need to lose the good buyers to protect a few bad sellers. With buyer returns being watched now - because so many buyers "take adantage of it" - it leaves good buyers in a bad position - especially when they vetted the sellers, asked their questions and these sellers send something other than is described.
Message 22 of 28
latest reply

ebay has the power to remove bad sellers.  No one else.  Instead of pointing the finger at bad buyers or or sellers, you have to get to the root source of why that behavior is allowed to continue.  You do not punish a bad child by giving them candy.  Likewise you do not punish a bad seller by giving them money or a bad buyer by giving them free items once they have become a chronic problem. 

The buck needs to stop at the top where the control is.

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

@bigdeals.etcwrote:
Does the average eBay buyer worry a lot when purchasing? If they understand eBay enough, they really shouldn't worry... but do they understand?

When you say

... "if they understand eBay enough, they really shouldn't worry" ... 

are you really saying

... "if they understand they can get a refund under the Money Back Guarantee, they really shouldn't worry" ... ?

If so, I think you are missing a huge point. The vast majority of buyers do not want the hassle, time, disappointment, and confrontation involved in having to file a SNAD.  

The worrying about losing money does not really go away - much of it is simply transformed into  worrying about losing time, effort and emotional capital while having to deal with a SNAD. 

Even with the Money Back Guarantee, most normal people are still going to exercise caution. And they should - especially if they have had negative experiences in their past that color their outlook. 

IMHO it is part of the seller's job to reassure the buyer that they will get what they are expecting by providing suitable pictures, an adequate description, and by projecting a bit of professionalism in their public profile (like feedback and feedback responses).  

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

Bad buyers can buy as a guest or open a new acct - although I think they should sanction IP addresses - that in itself has repercussions for the rest of the family or people living in the residence.

Bad sellers should be ousted and more than a few have - but we still have those on here - who are per se - not breaking policy - they just aren't taking the time to be truthful in their descriptions. 

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

@bigdeals.etcwrote:

This might turn out to be biased since I'm posting in the selling section.

In general, who do you think has the right to be more cautious in ebay, the buyer or the seller? Please also consider the severity and actual frequency of the buyer or seller scams that are on eBay.

Since it depends on who gets the nasty end of the eBay stick most of the time, I would have to go with the seller. eBay is all about keeping the buyer happy, even if it means losing a seller. 

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

Sellers, absolutely. Have had a few times lately on small items, had to refund. Knew it was   Fraud. But, still run across some considerate buyers. 

Unless a buyer is buying from China. Been ripped off a few times from there. Just bought mostly from curiosity. 

On the whole, we are much more comfortable buying from small sellers Than selling.

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

@luckythewinnerwrote:

@bigdeals.etcwrote:
Does the average eBay buyer worry a lot when purchasing? If they understand eBay enough, they really shouldn't worry... but do they understand?

When you say

... "if they understand eBay enough, they really shouldn't worry" ... 

are you really saying

... "if they understand they can get a refund under the Money Back Guarantee, they really shouldn't worry" ... ?

If so, I think you are missing a huge point. The vast majority of buyers do not want the hassle, time, disappointment, and confrontation involved in having to file a SNAD.  

The worrying about losing money does not really go away - much of it is simply transformed into  worrying about losing time, effort and emotional capital while having to deal with a SNAD. 

Even with the Money Back Guarantee, most normal people are still going to exercise caution. And they should - especially if they have had negative experiences in their past that color their outlook. 

IMHO it is part of the seller's job to reassure the buyer that they will get what they are expecting by providing suitable pictures, an adequate description, and by projecting a bit of professionalism in their public profile (like feedback and feedback responses).  

I've never been blessed with 100% flawless purchases.  What's that like?  For commoners like me, we suck it up and either tape a label to the box or drive to the store to return for refund.  If having to deal with the inconvenience and emotional capital of returning an item is the worst thing to ever happen to me, I would be eternally grateful.  But when returns equal the end of the world to someone, that someone needs to take a long hard look at his life.

Life can be a pleasure if you don't freak out when every little thing isn't perfect.

Joe

Message 28 of 28
latest reply